Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homefry319

2013 Pepper ideas

homefry319
11 years ago

Just been working on my list for next year, the plants going "in ground" will be any where from 33-400 plants the "in pots" plants will be from 2-8 plants

Im trying to find something thats going to be in the 10,000-100,000 scoville range

Im also all ears for trials, Ill have 1 or 2 rows of mixed plants just to try/see how they grow. Most what I have listed are by exact name so Im even up for different varieties of things I have listed

In Ground:

Marconi Red

Mini Red Bells

Mini Yellow Bells

King of the North

Quadrato Asti Giallo

Mini Chocolate Bells

Ancho San Martin Hybrid

Jalapeno Grande

Long Slim Cayannee

Anaheim TMR

Orange Bell

Golden Treasure

Alma Paprika

Pepperoncini

Congo Trinidad

Red Bhut Jolokia(still debating a full row of these)

Jamacian Hot Chocolate(these may go)

Thai Hot

In Pots:

Red Bhut Jolokia

Butch T

Doughahs

Yellow 7 pot/pod

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

Yellow Bhut Jolokia

Congo Black

Pimenta de Neyde

TS Morouga Blend

7pod "Jonah"

brians strain

Just for Fun:

Explosive Ember

Purple Flash

Medusa Hybrid

Comments (11)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

NIce list!!

I really like your jalapeno farm so can't wait to see the rest of them grow!!!

I would like to be able to grow everything in ground as it is close to free.:)

I see your putting your super hots in containers, great idea!! I can see you know your stuff by that jalapeno harvest you showed, can't wait to see how your grow turns out.

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

theres actually quite a few of that top list that we grow this year(mostly sweets) this is our second year doing this, last year was a eye opener on how much we really needed in terms of supplying the market so this year I was a little more selective on what I grew and I also stayed away from some of the hots because I wasn't sure how'd they sell, next year however will be a bit different story in terms a variety

this weeks harvest(so far) still have a few things peppers to pick tomorrow night

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Wow thats a harvest!!!

I know about being selective :) Next season I am down to two varieties: Jalapeno and Sun thai. Both are compact and produce a high yield, and just about never have any pod drop, very strong varieties. With My limited space, those two will give me great yield!

I know what you mean too about the super hots, you never know what the market is like for them.

Keep growing!

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

Here I thought I was the only one planning next years list already! I just returned from vacation to Nebraska, a bit hot and dry there this year.....amazing peppers, though. Where do you sell them? I stopped at quite a few farmers markets in the area!

Anywise, I just ordered way too many seeds from several companies...and have some on the exchange listing...if you want to add more to your selection!HA

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The main market were do is the Omaha Farmers Market in the Old Market.

as I said this is our second year so we'll be adding markets, We just picked up a spot at the Aksarben Village with is about the middle of Omaha

yeah that list is pretty dynamic right now, as things produce/sell Ive been adding subtracting rows "most" those varieties will stay in some sort but well see season not over yet.

Ended up harvesting another 3+ bushels of peppers last night, its going to be nuts next year as were doubling almost everything I have about 850ish peppers in the ground right now.

My super hot list has definitely changed, I going to do a few more but I also plant on tenting a few plant of each type next year to save seed

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

Ahhh, such a small world. We did go to the Farmers market in Old Market..along with the Spaggetti house!.I was there with 7 of my grandbabies and we collected peppers and garlics before we hit the zoo! Awesome. Aksarben should be great, I did craft shows there while stationed at Offutt. Always a good turnout.

I'm also doubling my peppers for next year..my second year of peppers. Apparently the 100 plants this year aren't enough..didn't see that coming.

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup were right in front of Upstream down there(I wasn't there that week)

are you thinking Aksarben like the horse track? they tore that down and its not a shopping center I think it opened last year maybe two years ago

note sure what you were last in that area, We're thinking Aksarben will be better than the Old Market mainly because its more of a shopping area and less events happen around there, I think were going to do 3 market as seasonly next year, still not sure

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

working on the list a bit, I think most of this will stick but my numbers will change... minus the superhots those I keep swapping around want kind of a selection of them(not all reds/same sized) also trials will be in the ground.

if anyone sees a type they want to know where to get/what is I have my spreadsheet set with links to everything

Update ideas:

Ground

Marconi Red
    Mini Red Bells
    Mini Yellow Bells
    King of the North
    Quadrato Asti Giallo
    Mini Chocolate Bells
    Ancho San Martin Hybrid
    Jalapeno Grande
    Maule's Red Hot
    Anaheim TMR
    Orange Bell
    Golden Treasure
    Alma Paprika
    Pepperoncini
    Congo Trinidad
    Red Bhut Jolokia
    Chocolate Habenero
    Thai Hot

Pots

Red Bhut Jolokia
    Butch T
    Doughahs (Chocolate 7pod)
    7pod Brian Strain Yellow
    Black Naga
    Yellow Bhut Jolokia
    7pod Congo (Gigantic
    Pimenta de Neyde
    TS Morouga Blend
    7pot Cardi
    Monster Nagas
    Orange scorpion

Trials

Bull Nose
    Jimmy Nardello's OG
    Mustard Habanero
    Tolli's Sweet
    Chichimeca Hybrid
    Mariachi Hybrid
    Dorset Naga
    Golden Marconi
    Sweet Banana
    Sheepnose Pimento

Ornamental

Explosive Ember
    Purple Flash
    Medusa Hybrid

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

I did my shows at the convention center - think It's called Scott now.

To have 3 good choices of farmers markets in your area...how lucky! A bit more difficult here in NC for sure.

Awesome listing of varieties.

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ahh youre thinking of the Quest center.

Aksarben is in the middle of Omaha, it use to be a huge horse racing track until they tore it down prob 8 years ago

theres actually a ton of markets close by, but those are 3 of the mains ones, we had fun at Aksarben today was a way different crowd than downtown more shoppers less viewers

• homefry319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

updated(and I think closer to final)

Ground

Tolli's Sweet
    King of the North
    Napoleon Sweet OG
    Orange Bell
    Mini Chocolate Bells
    Mini Yellow Bells
    Ancho San Martin Hybrid