Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2013 Pepper ideas

Posted by homefry319 5b Nebraska (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 15:21

Just been working on my list for next year, the plants going "in ground" will be any where from 33-400 plants the "in pots" plants will be from 2-8 plants

Im trying to find something thats going to be in the 10,000-100,000 scoville range

Im also all ears for trials, Ill have 1 or 2 rows of mixed plants just to try/see how they grow. Most what I have listed are by exact name so Im even up for different varieties of things I have listed

In Ground:

Marconi Red
Mini Red Bells
Mini Yellow Bells
King of the North
Quadrato Asti Giallo
Mini Chocolate Bells
Ancho San Martin Hybrid
Jalapeno Grande
Long Slim Cayannee
Anaheim TMR
Orange Bell
Golden Treasure
Alma Paprika
Pepperoncini
Congo Trinidad
Red Bhut Jolokia(still debating a full row of these)
Jamacian Hot Chocolate(these may go)
Thai Hot

In Pots:

Red Bhut Jolokia
Butch T
Doughahs
Yellow 7 pot/pod
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Congo Black
Pimenta de Neyde
TS Morouga Blend
7pod "Jonah"
brians strain

Just for Fun:

Explosive Ember
Purple Flash
Medusa Hybrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2013 Pepper ideas

NIce list!!

I really like your jalapeno farm so can't wait to see the rest of them grow!!!

I would like to be able to grow everything in ground as it is close to free.:)

I see your putting your super hots in containers, great idea!! I can see you know your stuff by that jalapeno harvest you showed, can't wait to see how your grow turns out.

o

theres actually quite a few of that top list that we grow this year(mostly sweets) this is our second year doing this, last year was a eye opener on how much we really needed in terms of supplying the market so this year I was a little more selective on what I grew and I also stayed away from some of the hots because I wasn't sure how'd they sell, next year however will be a bit different story in terms a variety

this weeks harvest(so far) still have a few things peppers to pick tomorrow night

o

Wow thats a harvest!!!

I know about being selective :) Next season I am down to two varieties: Jalapeno and Sun thai. Both are compact and produce a high yield, and just about never have any pod drop, very strong varieties. With My limited space, those two will give me great yield!

I know what you mean too about the super hots, you never know what the market is like for them.

Keep growing!

o

Here I thought I was the only one planning next years list already! I just returned from vacation to Nebraska, a bit hot and dry there this year.....amazing peppers, though. Where do you sell them? I stopped at quite a few farmers markets in the area!

Anywise, I just ordered way too many seeds from several companies...and have some on the exchange listing...if you want to add more to your selection!HA

o

The main market were do is the Omaha Farmers Market in the Old Market.

as I said this is our second year so we'll be adding markets, We just picked up a spot at the Aksarben Village with is about the middle of Omaha

yeah that list is pretty dynamic right now, as things produce/sell Ive been adding subtracting rows "most" those varieties will stay in some sort but well see season not over yet.

Ended up harvesting another 3+ bushels of peppers last night, its going to be nuts next year as were doubling almost everything I have about 850ish peppers in the ground right now.

My super hot list has definitely changed, I going to do a few more but I also plant on tenting a few plant of each type next year to save seed

o

Ahhh, such a small world. We did go to the Farmers market in Old Market..along with the Spaggetti house!.I was there with 7 of my grandbabies and we collected peppers and garlics before we hit the zoo! Awesome. Aksarben should be great, I did craft shows there while stationed at Offutt. Always a good turnout.

I'm also doubling my peppers for next year..my second year of peppers. Apparently the 100 plants this year aren't enough..didn't see that coming.

o

Yup were right in front of Upstream down there(I wasn't there that week)

are you thinking Aksarben like the horse track? they tore that down and its not a shopping center I think it opened last year maybe two years ago

note sure what you were last in that area, We're thinking Aksarben will be better than the Old Market mainly because its more of a shopping area and less events happen around there, I think were going to do 3 market as seasonly next year, still not sure

o

working on the list a bit, I think most of this will stick but my numbers will change... minus the superhots those I keep swapping around want kind of a selection of them(not all reds/same sized) also trials will be in the ground.

if anyone sees a type they want to know where to get/what is I have my spreadsheet set with links to everything

Update ideas:

Ground

Marconi Red
Mini Red Bells
Mini Yellow Bells
King of the North
Quadrato Asti Giallo
Mini Chocolate Bells
Ancho San Martin Hybrid
Jalapeno Grande
Maule's Red Hot
Anaheim TMR
Orange Bell
Golden Treasure
Alma Paprika
Pepperoncini
Congo Trinidad
Red Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habenero
Thai Hot

Pots

Red Bhut Jolokia
Butch T
Doughahs (Chocolate 7pod)
7pod Brian Strain Yellow
Black Naga
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
7pod Congo (Gigantic
Pimenta de Neyde
TS Morouga Blend
7pot Cardi
Monster Nagas
Orange scorpion

Trials

Bull Nose
Jimmy Nardello's OG
Mustard Habanero
Tolli's Sweet
Chichimeca Hybrid
Mariachi Hybrid
Dorset Naga
Golden Marconi
Sweet Banana
Sheepnose Pimento

Ornamental

Explosive Ember
Purple Flash
Medusa Hybrid

o

I did my shows at the convention center - think It's called Scott now.

To have 3 good choices of farmers markets in your area...how lucky! A bit more difficult here in NC for sure.

Awesome listing of varieties.

o

ahh youre thinking of the Quest center.

Aksarben is in the middle of Omaha, it use to be a huge horse racing track until they tore it down prob 8 years ago

theres actually a ton of markets close by, but those are 3 of the mains ones, we had fun at Aksarben today was a way different crowd than downtown more shoppers less viewers

o

updated(and I think closer to final)

Ground

Tolli's Sweet
King of the North
Napoleon Sweet OG
Orange Bell
Mini Chocolate Bells
Mini Yellow Bells
Ancho San Martin Hybrid
Anaheim TMR
Jalapeno Grande
Feher Ozon Paprika
Golden Treasure
Alma Paprika
Golden Greek Pepperoncini
Congo Trinidad
Red Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habenero
Thai Hot
Maule's Red Hot
Marconi Reds
Mini Red Bells
Sweet Banana

Pots

Red Bhut Jolokia
Butch T
Doughahs (Chocolate 7pod)
7pod Brian Strain Yellow
Black Naga
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
7pod Congo (Gigantic
Pimenta de Neyde
TS Morouga Blend
7pot Cardi
Monster Nagas
Orange scorpion

Ornamental

Explosive Ember
Purple Flash
Medusa Hybrid

Trials

Roatan Pumpkin Hab
Bull Nose
Jimmy Nardello's OG
Mustard Habanero
Feher Ozon Paprika
Mariachi Hybrid
Dorset Naga

Sheepnose Pimento
Jaloro
Chichimeca Hybrid
Golden Cayenne
Scotch Bonnet Hot Pepper
Big Sun Habanero

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here