Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willywake

what do I do with my hungarian wax peppers

willywake
18 years ago

I've grown them successfully this year for the first time and don't know what to do with them. How to i cook them and with what, dry them and make powder or spices, i just don't know. any response would help, thank you

Comments (45)

• byron
    18 years ago

I like to dry and grind, The powder keeps for a few years.
    Takes the least amount of space of any method

• ddw962
    18 years ago

I've pickeled mine.

Also used them along with other varieties and marinated them. I got that recipe from another member of this forum.

See the post "What do you do with your hot peppers"

• John A
    18 years ago

They're good pickled. I also like to use them in stir fry. If you have more than you can use, you can stem and seed them, then flash freeze them on a tray (No need to blanch them). The next day you can put them in a plasitc bag for next winter.
    John

• drewshap
    18 years ago

They are great cooked in a touch of oil with some onions and garlic and put on bratwurst or burgers.

• karuad
    18 years ago

Although I live in Ohio now, I come from New Mexico-Las Cruces to be exact, which is a stones throw from Hatch, the chile capital of the world. I have roasted those wax peppers along with many others. Then they can be frozen whole or diced. It is simple to do. Either in the oven set to broil or on the grill, put them in a single layer and watch for the skins to blister and burn. Turn them until the skin is burned all over. Take them out as they are done and put them in a pan covered with a damp towel. This steams them. When they have cooled enough to handle, peel the skins off. You can do this by hand or use a paper towel or lint free cloth (I use a dishtowel) to take off the skins. Take the stem off and freeze them singly or in a size you would use at one time. Roasting changes the flavor, but I much prefer the taste, and out there in NM at the chile farms, they usually have the grills going to roast peppers that you have picked. Oh, how I miss that...! try it and let me know what you think.

• erik417
    18 years ago

Here's an idea inspired by my Korean step-mothers cooking (or rather pickling). In some ways this is similar to a traditional Korean dish called namal (sp?), made with korean cucumbers and chilis.
    I like to take my de-seeded Hungarian peppers, which have a nice black pepperish kick, and slice them lengthwise and extremely thin and add them to other veggies especially cucumber, white onion, bean sprouts, and tomato wedges all soaked in plain rice vinegar ( I usually add acouple of hot chilis also sliced thin just for heat). I slice all of the veggies except for the tom's and sprouts extremely thin--"Thats all surface area Jerry, no place for the flavor to hide!" (I think of this Seinfeld episode every time I make this). The dish lasts for up to two weeks in the fridge, but is best within a couple of hours when chilled and still quite crisp.

• Michaelz
    18 years ago

One of my favorite recipes proved that what my mother called goulash was anything but. Hungarian goulash soup. Here is a link. http://www.soupsong.com/rgoulash.html I recommend using a lighter oil than the lard, or less. The Hungarians are perfect for this meal.

Z

• barrysome
    17 years ago

Every other year I make approx. 5 gallons of salsa for canning. I bought 16 jalanpeno plants that turned out to be hungarian hot wax, can I still make good tasting salsa or am I SOL! THANKS!!!
    PS, the plants are producing approx. 6 peppers per every other week per plant HAAUUGGHH!

• sherribaby
    17 years ago

Barry-The exact same thing happened to me and my neighbor!! We bought our plants from a local nursery and now I have tons of hungarian hot wax. This is crazy!! I've never grown them before and I am worried about my salsa too!

• gtomato
    17 years ago

STUFF THEM!! It's one of my favorite ways to eat them. Rice, meat, onion,salt, pepper, and parsley. That's it.

Or, can them whole or in a tomato juice.

Can them whole with galic, dill, and liquid made from water, vinegar, kosher salt and sugar.

Or cut them into bite sized pieces, mix with onion, green pepper, and fresh tomatoes from the garden then can.

I use these on just about everything from grilled cheese, hot dogs and hamburgers, spagetti, and eggs in the morning.

Hope this helps.

greg

• hemnancy
    15 years ago

I grew them last year and used them in all my salsa. They are as hot as Jalapeno's and tasty, also yield very well.

• suepogson
    11 years ago

I have a glut of these. Could anyone give me a good salsa recipe please (or pickling instructions?) Thanks

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Perfect. I love to cold can these bad boys. They are one of, if not my favorite pepper.

Here you go, a HHW recipe. I eat a sandwich a day with these pepper slices.
    This is a version of a recipe first posted by Shoontok that I have modified to my own liking. Feel free to adjust the ingredient totals or add or delete any ingredients as you see fit.
    I will assume you are using half pint jars. For pint jars, just double the ingredients.
    First, create a mixture of Distilled vinegar and water at a 3 to 1, vinegar to water ratio. Make enough to fill all the jars with the peppers. Keep in mind the peppers will fill about ü of the jar volume. Set this aside for now.
    Next, Slice your HHW peppers about 1/16th inch slices. Then pack them into clean jars to the top (pack them down a bit).
    Then add about 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic on top of the pepper slices in each jar. You can mince fresh garlic or buy a jar of minced garlic. I am lazy and used the stuff in a jar. Then add a couple teaspoons of black peppercorns. (they can be found in the spice section at the supermarket). Lastly add about a teaspoon of sea salt.
    Finally, pour the vinegar water mixture into the jars of pepper slices almost to the very top of the jars. Then seal the jars, shake them up a bit to get the ingredients mixed in and then place in the fridge. You can start eating them any time, however, it is best to wait a couple days.
    Note: Remember that these are not canned according to standard canning guidelines and will eventually spoil. This is why they will need to be kept in the fridge just like an opened store bought jar of peppers. They should be fine for a good 2-3 months if kept refrigerated.
    You can try freezing the jars of peppers to keep them longer but you will need to use "Freezable" canning jars. The peppers will be a bit less crisp but not much after they thaw.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

This thread is almost getting 9 years old.
    I bump it because I am going to grow some in 2014. It sounds like a good eat. The heat is just right for everyday use as VEGATABLE, not so much as spice. That is what I like about it. Plus you can harvest them any any color stage, from yellow, to orange to red.
    I was at HD the other day and bought the seeds. Yes, they are already setting up their seeds rack. I will start germinating in FEB.
    Another pepper similar in heat that I will be growing is FRESNO. They say that it turns red in short time and its heat is pleasantly mild.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

They are excellent roasted over wood or charcoal, peel afterwards, then throw some of your favorite oil on them. A little bit of minced onion or garlic for those who like it. Throw the leftovers in tupperware and they'll stay in the fridge for a decent amount of days.

De-seed them and they make great sandwich toppers.

There is also a way to pickle the roasted ones in oil, you would would have to search google for techniques though.

Wood or charcoal is a must, the added flavor is noticeable.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 17:12

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks Steve
    I look forward to doing that (roasting on the grill) and stir frying.
    I do like also HOT peppers for spicing up, but I am mostly for peppers that can be used as regular veggies diet all summer long. HHW fits the bill for me.

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

i know Josh (greenman) is a fan of them, maybe he will chime in soon. They are great for pickling, nice and crisp, and I have used similar peppers to make some good low-heat sauces for friends without tolerances. I am giving out sauces for Christmas this year and it has been a struggle to make them mild enough because I mostly grew superhots.

• johnmramm
    8 years ago

Can I pick them as they get longer and keep them till October when I want to use them and my tomatoes to make a sambal Or do I have to wait and harvest them all at one go I have ten plants thanks jr

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Once you pick them, they will stay good for a couple weeks in the refrigerator, maybe a little longer, but that is about it. You could freeze them, but from my experience, they are all mushy after you thaw them out. If you are going to mash them up for a sauce, then it might not matter. I guess I would pick them as soon as they get to mature size (3-5") and freeze them until your second harvest comes ready later in the summer. If you need them to be red for the sauce, then you will have to wait a couple extra weeks for them to turn ripe (red). Depending on your growing zone, you may get two more harvests this summer.

• cbirie
    8 years ago

I stuff them whole raw with a cream cheese and diced pepperoni mixture. cut off the tops, deseed, cut a small piece off the tips [allows air to release so the peppers don't split when stuffing] to prep the peppers. warm cream cheese to a workable consistency mix with diced pepperoni and stuff peppers until the mix comes out the small hole you made in the tip. drizzle with olive oil and chill overnight. serve sliced in 3/4" rings

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a decent amount of these peppers in the yellow stage if I put them in my dehydrator will it bring out the red or is it better to let them sit and ripen up before dehydrating them.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

The dehydrator will do nothing to ripen them. The only way to get them to ripen is to leave them on the plant. They will orange and then soon after will go bright red.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

Ok thank you I wasn't quite sure if it would make a difference. This is my first time using a dehydrator for peppers.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

are you going to dehydrate the HHW's? If so, are you going to grind them into powder or flakes?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Also, you do not need to wait to dehydrate your HHW's. I pick and eat my HHW's mostly when they are still yellow. The taste and heat doesn't change all that much as they ripen.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

Awsome thanks a bunch esox I was hoping I could just start grinding them up at the yellow stage without losing much heat so I can use them as a seasoning.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

The grinder I have only does flakes I need to get a different one or get a grinding stone to make some powder. Why do you ask?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Just keep in mind that HHW's are not really all that hot no matter what. Not nearly as hot as a Jalapeno for instance. Way milder than a Cayenne.

Also, keep in mind that they are somewhat thick walled peppers and thus will take significantly longer to dry than a pepper such as a Cayenne. Not that you cannot do it, but make sure they are good and dry before you turn off the dehydrator. Otherwise, you will wind up with powder that clumps up terribly. I suggest you cut them in half before placing them in the dehydrator. Seeding them is optional, but most of the heat in peppers is contained in the placenta (white soft stuff inside that the seeds are attached to) and then the seeds. The pepper flesh hold the least heat. So, you may want to dry them without seeding them and grind up the seeds and all to get max heat. The flavor is in the flesh.

I normally caution people to do their dehydrating outside in the garage, but HHW's are not that hot and won't turn your house into a gas chamber like the Super Hots do.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

You can pick up a "COFFEE" grinder at walmart for about $15 and that will turn your dried HHW's into powder.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Fresh-Grind-Coffee-Grinder/15758915

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

Yeah I knew that they weren't an especially hot pepper I've been eating mostly yellow ones sometimes turning orange in burritos for the last month. But that's one of the things I love about them because a pepper can have a decent heat but if the flavor sucks it's not worth having to me. I am glad you mentioned cutting them in half for the dehydrator I probably would have stuck them in there whole.

I've looked online and in other forums do you know the temperature and time a HHW should be in the dehydrator for? Only temp I've found for peppers is 135°F and didn't know if that was universal.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Yah, 135 is fine, but you will want to keep an eye on it. There is really no set time as each pepper is different and the amount of peppers you are drying has an effect as well. The key is to make sure they are completely dried before grinding them for flakes or especially powder. Otherwise, you will be dealing with clumping that is a real PIA. You really can't "over dry" them. The temp is up to you. Hotter is faster but doing it on a lower temp for a longer time will help ensure there are not any spots that didn't quite dry which will cause problems with the powder or flakes.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

Thanks a bunch esox07 you have been very helpful in my first time dehydrating peppers. I greatly appreciate the info/tips you have given me!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

No problem. Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

The peppers turned out fantastic it took 36 hrs to fully dry them after following 1 set of instructions that said to just slit them but I recommend cutting them in half lengthwise to quicken the drying process

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

I dried a bunch of Thai Dragon peppers last night and this morning, I ground them into flakes. I have enough flakes to keep my wife satisfied now for a while. about a dozen trays worth. That top tray didn't have as many on it as the trays beneath.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Hey Justin, these were my last Hot Hungarian Wax peppers that I harvested last week. Two half gallon jars and a quart jar full. I usually use pint jars, but I ran out.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

Those look amazing esox and dam I wish I would have thought about pickling some of those Hungarians I had more than enough to grind I gave a couple spice containers to guys from work so they wouldn't go bad

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Yah, they are actually "Cold Canned". It is simple, with no heat so the peppers stay crunchy, but they need to be kept in the fridge after canning. This is my third harvest this year so I have a fridge full and my family and friends have been lucky recipients as well.

The ones you buy in the super market are hot canned the regular way but that makes them all mushy. These come out of the jar just like they go in. They are awesome on sandwiches.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

I've got 4 trays of super chilli peppers and 1 of cayenne drying right now and probably 2 trays worth of habanero waiting.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

"Super Chili" that sounds like another one of those generic names. When you start the Habaneros, it would be wise to keep the dehydrator outside. Oh, and I dont see any reason to not dry them all together... I have done it many times. Just keep them on separate trays.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

LOL, I love the cord running through the window opening...LOL.

That looks like a fancy dehydrator that you have there.

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

Yeah I would've done them all together but didn't have enough trays. Yeah I absolutely love it. It's a redhead hunting brand. Lol ya gotta do what you have to man the wife couldn't handle the fumigating of the house lol

• Justin-5b
    7 years ago

The super chilli ones are a hybrid type there 40-50k scovial. But honestly I think they are hotter than the habaneros.