Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wbdb

Aji 'Cristal'

WBDB
9 years ago

Just dropping into this forum to shout about my fave pepper. It's on its 3rd season, and this has not been a good one. But it is mostly my fault.

Cristal is by far the best looking pepper plant I have grown. Plant is strong and tall, and usually loads itself with fruit, and holds fruit well, and shows lots of color with fruits in differing stages of ripeness.

My plant is overwintered outside, with no special treatment. It spent 2 years in a 2 ga. pot, so I repotted it in a "gritty mix"(new to me), and probably gave it too much N to start. It was slow to shake off my late spring transplant, and then it took off. Lots of new foliage, but not many fruits. Then in one day a 5" tomato worm decimated 3/4 of the leaves. Very off-pissing! She's starting to re-leaf, but it has been brutally hot the last few weeks.

The taste is OK, not particularly fleshy, but BY FAR the plant is the best looking pepper plant I've seen. I wish I could post pics, but I'm too lame, sorry. Does anyone else grow this variety?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz