Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

7 Pot Jonah seed from ottawapepper - Pt. Deux

DMForcier
11 years ago

Continuing 7 Pot Jonah seed from ottawapepper which has reached its posting limit.

Comments (82)

• mspeppajo
    11 years ago

OK ya'll!! I promised a video...Well, ya'll get a video!!! LOL!! Thank you so much to my wonderful wonderful friends who sent peppers for my son "Chef JJ" to try! We got 7 pots which he basically really chickened out on, he did try a piece - about 1/4 " in size and was hopping around that!! So, some other seven pots we got found a different use shall we say!! We did get some Choco Scotch Bonnets and that is what you will see in the video. Click on the link below to see the video!!!!
    In the pic is what the 7 pots and part of a ChocoSB ended up in!! The 2 seven pots in front are going to be dried for later use!! Chef JJ and I made a Salsa (ChocoSB's), and then made a HOT sauce with a piece of CSB and whole 7 pot! The Hot sauce was a nice citrus"y" flavor no vinegar...really nice! The salsa was great!! In fact, my youngest who had SWORN to never touch hot peppers tried both of them and now has scarfed almost all of salsa down and is aiming for the Hot sauce next!! Add another Pepperhead to the list!!! Oh...and you can now only call me half of a weinie now!! I did try both creations even though I knew I was gonna pay for it! OK, maybe it wasn't a HUGE amount BUT I did try them!!! LOL!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://youtu.be/SmP7hB_jyfY

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

MsPeppaJo,

I rarely view pepper eating videos but I couldn't resist this one.

At first, I didn't think ChefJJ and your Bro were going to make it. Aislings Bro recovered ok but I seriously think ChefJJ should concentrate on the flavor nuances of milder peppers. I burst out loud laughing when JJ planted his face, tongue out in the cup of milk. Thank you all for sharing.

ChefJJ, try using smaller portions of hot peppers in dishes that compliment the pepper. Folks don't go to restaurants to eat raw super hots, they go to eat dishes that incorporate a pepper's heat and flavor with other savory components.

Just sayin.

Thanks again for the laugh,

Bill

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

That was hilarious. I wish we could have seen them eat the 7 pot. I'm not sure if those are the peppers I sent you or not, but I do know my chocolate scotch bonnets are pretty hot. Like I stated on your video, that was pretty ambitious to start with a piece that size! I did notice you stayed behind the camera. Next time put that on a tripod and join the festivities! :)

Tim

• mspeppajo
    11 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA!! Yes, Tim those were the ones you sent, the first 7 pot that they tried was from Bill but the stupid video failed when they ate that minisule piece!! I tried to get them to eat the 7 pot after eating that Scotch Bonnet but for SOME reason I just could not get any volunteers!!!!! I think JJ believes satan must have possessed him to make him crazy enough to eat that pepper!!! LOLOLOL!! It would not have done me any good to be in front of the camera cause I still would have been on the floor rolling in laughter!!! I am with you, Bill, when he stuck his face in that milk like a puppy dog lapping up water....I was done...I was hanging onto my chair to save my life!!

I have got to say though, this has been a great summer for the boys learning about the peppers, getting to try some that ya'll have sent and all...like I said earlier, my younger son (jj's brother only 13 mos apart) who had not been showing any interest finally tried the Salsa(the darker mix in the pic) and found he really liked it even though it had some serious heat to it! Then he tried the Hot Sauce and liked that and that was even hotter!! So he has been paying a little more attention to what is going on and listening to us talk about the peppers (he is difficult to engage sometimes so finding something he takes notice about is really great)!! So, hopefully, when it is time for growing season to start maybe I can get BOTH boys interested in what is going on! I am not sure about letting him try super hots though...even though his Cystic Fibrosis and Asthma are under control and has been for quite awhile I would want to check with his Pulmonologist first. He might work up his bravery and ask to try one. I don't know. It would have to be a piece of the 7 pot I am drying!! I have to tell you though, I would pay MONEY to see that reaction!!!!
    I still have to thank EVERYONE for helping us out, helping us get ready for the 2013 season, for puttin up with all my questions (so many are yet to come!!)about everything...we appreciate it so much more than ya'll know!!
    Jo

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That was fun. The expressions on Ken (Kent?)'s face when the heat started were priceless. And the two went through about a gallon of dairy between them.

As for chowing down on a large piece of a pod, this reminds me of the line in Frank Zappa's "opera" Thingfish.

"Why, even in Sam Quentim I never seen nobody eat a raw chitlin!"

There's a good reason for that.

• Aislings_Bro
    11 years ago

You should have seen me about 3/4 hour later after the endorphins kicked in... mellllow!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Realized this morning that I'd posted to the wrong Thread....
    I hope no one minds the re-posting here for future reference.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Looks good Josh, hope you can keep it warm and safe. Would like to see that pepper ripen to see the outcome. Keep us updated.

Mark

11 years ago

Thanks, Mark, I hope so, too!
    Not sure if it'll happen, given Winter's hasty approach...but we'll see :-)
    The leaves are all beat to hell from the hail storm that came through....

Josh

11 years ago

Visited my buddy last Monday, and got an update on the hybrid Jonah plant I gave him.
    He kept it in the 1-gallon container this season so that he could overwinter the plant as-is,
    and I was happy to see a few pods forming. Here's the plant itself, a bit over a foot tall.
    The recent rain and wind blew it sideways, but overall looking good despite the wetness
    and the cool temps. Very, very late season ;-)

11 years ago

And one of the pods that is forming....

• John A
    11 years ago

I saved mine in the freezer after stem & seed. I finally got around to getting them out this weekend. I smoked & dried them and ground them into powder. Super hot, but OK.
    John A

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Josh that looks about the same as my first pod, it should start to get bumpy like a Bhut soon. When it's ripe you should have a taste, if they are anything like mine were it's VERY HOT! keep us updated when it's ripe if it's ok with your friend.

Mark

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Very hot........yeah, and Santa Claus is a little chubby!

Tim

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

i ended up getting 2 pods off my plant they looked pretty much the same as all yours also had a little heat but nothing compared to my bhuts on the heat peak or how long the heat lasted they had a good bite and more along the taste of something kind of sweet saved the seeds also have 1 good cutting sitting in my hydro system forgot to take pics but the pods was a deep darker red

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Armageddon..... Either your pods turned out different, or your bhuts are straight from the devil! I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm planting some of your bhut seeds this year.

Tim

• romy6
    11 years ago

Here is a pic I took yesterday of some seeds peppernovice sent me in September. This little guy was hiding in my pepper canopy . Seeds originally from wild Bill. Thanks guys. Not the best pic but I will take a better pic once it is mature .

• romy6
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of the jonah pod . It took a long time to ripen. Over a month. Pod was hot but not over bearing. Very tasty IMO. Very clean no earthy taste at all.

Thanks for the seeds Bill and Tim( peppernovice)

11 years ago

Awesome pod, Jaime!

Last night, I had dinner with my buddy...his plant is toast from the cold.
    But we did eat the last pod that had finally ripened. It was a winterpod, so not too hot.
    Gave the tongue a real whack for about five minutes, though. After-taste was pleasant.

I still have two pods on my own plant...maybe I'll check them today.

Josh

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have started a half dozen of the seeds Bill sent. Looking forward to them. Great color!

11 years ago

Here's one of the winterpods from my plant, the one in the middle ;-)
    On the left, a tiny tiny Yellow Bhut; on the right, a tiny Red Bhut.
    I ate the smallest pod, and it had no piquance. I'll let the other pods color up.

Josh

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

I can't believe this thread is still going ;-))

Nice looking pod Romy6.

Josh, any harvest is a good harvest, enjoy! My email is down now so I'll say thank you for the seeds here. Got them today.

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 5:59

11 years ago

Wonderful! I'm glad they made it safely!

Josh

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

Hey all, new member here I've been reading through this thread and it's quite interesting! Seems like a great group of people on here that's for sure.

I am just getting into growing hot peppers, I've currently got some Cayenne, Hungarian Yellow Wax, Habanero, Thai hot peppers and Moruga Scorpions.

When I saw the Numex Twilight posted earlier, I fell in love if anyone has those seeds please email me! - also White habs!! :D

Devon

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Same here I'm trying to avoid purchasing seeds if I don't have to, it can get expensive and I would rather trade.

I'm looking for; Black Naga, White Habanero and Paper Lantern.
    If anybody has them I would really appreciate swapin or seeds for SASE.

Devon, if your in the USA and want to swap I would like some of those Moruga Scorpion seeds if you could spare some. I have very few seeds of each but I've got:
    Cayenne Long Thin
    Caribbean Red
    Chinese Five Color
    Black Knight
    Leutschauer Paprika
    Whatever I get I will grow out and will be sharing for next years seed swap.

Eric

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

Shoot me an email Eric, Im in Canada but I would still send you some. Mine are germinating right now but I have lots to spare.

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

I can't reply to your email Eric, but I would be interested in Black Knight and/or Paprika. I'll send 4 or so just in case some don't take. They advertise 70-85% germ rate so not the best.. I'll send you a email right now though with my info.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Dhelsdon & LeafEricson, welcome!

Fire me an email via my profile. I can spot you two with some Twilight seeds. I'll have to check my stock but I may be able to send a few White Bullet Habanero seeds as well.

Bill

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Thanks for the offer Bill, I just sent you an E-Mail.
    How are things in Canada?
    Here in the USA the economy is bad. I just accepted a job that pays 9,000 dollars less per year than my old job:( but on the bright side it's only a few minutes from my house:)

Eric

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

COLD - Woke up to a buried car this morning and -38�C (-36�F) temps with windchill. Good thing I grow indoors, our growing season doesn't usually start until mid april where I am.

Economy here isn't AS bad, but we're still suffering too, although I am in oil country (Alberta) so it's much less noticeable here then in Ontario or further east.

Thanks for the offer Bill, I will send you a email shortly, good to see a fellow Ontarian on here!!

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Eric, haven't received your email. Not sure if there's a problem with GardenWeb or Hotmail? I just sent one to you.

Dhelsdon, -36F??? Where are you in ON? It hit 12C (53F) here an hour ago. I'm not complaining but it is a little strange for January in Ottawa. Must be all the hot air from Parliament Hill

Bill

UPDATE: There appears to be a problem with GW email. I tested a direct message from another web email account and got it right away in hotmail.

Best to send an email (not from GW) to ottawapepper (at thing) hotmail (little period thing) com

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 17:02

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Bill, I just sent you another E-Mail let me know if you get it.

Eric

• romy6
    11 years ago

Bill is a good man. Spreading the heat too all!!!!!!!

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

Has anyone heard of, or tried the Aribibi gusano peppers?
    They look very cool and the only place i can find the seeds is on eBay and they are overpriced! 10$ for 15 seeds.. no thanks!!

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Dhelsdon, I'm really interested in Aribbi Gusano peppers too(just don't have any extra money to buy seed). You could try the link below. I've never bought from them but it's worth a shot for some rare seeds.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: http://junglerain.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=40&category_id=24&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Has anybody here grown some "True" Black Naga plants?

I've been looking for seed but due to cost and most importantly authenticity I don't have any yet.

"Trade Winds Fruit" looks promising but they do not show a picture.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-2864/Black-Naga-Pepper--dsh-/Detail

• romy6
    11 years ago

Lee junglerain is a great guy but he lives in Australia.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Jamie.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For those that have started this pepper, I have a question. I'm getting some odd germination performance. I wet 6 seeds into baggies. Two germinated after about a week, another after another week, and the other three are just lying there after 2 more days. No mold or little tombstones, but the fact that they are taking so long after the first two popped has me suspicious. Other varieties may take a long time to pop, but when they do they seem to all pop relatively close to each other. Is this unusual? Temp has been maintained at a min of 80�, recently 87� or so.

What's your experience with them?

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

DMForcier,

In starter mix, I got 75% + germination in 7 - 10 days.

Bill

• Dhelsdon
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link Leaf, I'll keep checking there as they're sold out. If i do get some I'll let you know!

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I don't hold out much hope for the remaining three, so that's 50% this try. Plenty more left if I need to try again. I notice that the germs of these three are quite dark. I wonder if a fungus got inside the seed cases.

The first two are above ground already. If they live then two plants would be more than enough for me.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

DMForcier,

You're starting the crossed Jonah seeds I sent, yes?

If so it's strange they have dark "embryos", if any, I try to weed them out.

Were the dark to begin with?

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't remember, Bill. I wasn't paying much attention - just counting. I think I'll try again to see what happens. More casualties in the flat so more space to experiment.

• rdback
    11 years ago

At the risk of hijacking Bill's thread...

Dhelsdon said: "Has anyone heard of, or tried the Aribibi gusano peppers?"

LeafEricson said: "...I'm really interested in Aribbi Gusano peppers too"

Did you guys find seeds yet? I might have a few from last year. Send me an e-mail if interested.

Rick

• wjp4140
    11 years ago

Are there any more of those mystery seeds left? If so, pretty please may I have a few? Thank you in advance!!

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone getting these seeds to produce this year? I have two that started out wimpy but are slowly catching up - one has small pods now.

Dennis

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I did not try this season, I have a few seeds I may grow next season.

Mark

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one of Bill's 7 Pot crosses a few weeks ago. The other is smaller but is very similar. Is this breeding true, Bill?

Dennis

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Dennis, the pod shape is growing like mine did in the previous season. They may look odd shaped and different, but they were one heck of a firey punch truly a super hot with a mean punch.

Mark

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm