Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Coloring on 7 Pot Jonah Pods

Posted by SlickestWilly NH (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 15:39

Hello all. This is the first time I've grown Jonahs. They are getting this strange granular purple coloring on the pods. I have never seen this it on any of my peppers before. The plant seems very heathy and productive but I'm seeing this on almost all of the pods big and small. Anyone know what the deal is?

Cheers, -Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Coloring on 7 Pot Jonah Pods

It could be sunscald and/or they are starting to ripen. I am no expert haha. Correct me I am wrong.

o

They are just starting to ripen, no sun scald. Look good!

o

That isvwhat i was thinking. Thanks for the correction.

o

That's strange. I thought it was sun scald. I too am growing 7 pot Jonah (cross from ottawapepper) and I don't believe mine turn that color before turning red. I only have them in sun for half the day though. I have them up against the house in the back yard. They only receive sun until around 1 pm.

Tim

o

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm hoping it's part of the ripening process but it seems a bit odd. They get about 4-5 hours of direct sun a day and none of my other pepper plants are showing this. I guess I'll find out when they are fully ripe and I harvest them. Maybe it's a purple mutation :)
Thanks again, -Will

o

It is typical coloring from bright sun. Scald would be actual damage.
This purple streaking won't affect the final flavor or color of the pod.

Josh

o

Agree with Josh, just think of it as a pepper sun tan.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here