Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

branches breaking because of weight

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I keep hearing about branches breaking under the weight of the pods. I have a hab that is absolutely loaded with pods (18" tall, 50+ pods). and I wanna harvest every single one. what can I do to prevent branches from breaking off? some are already hanging lower than they were before they had so many pods, so I'm a bit worried.

pictures don't do it justice. that branch on the left used to stick up at a 45 degree angle.

Comments (11)

• tony469
    10 years ago

I've never had that problem but I guess you could use bamboo stakes for support.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Not a real problem with chinense varieties as far as I can tell. I tomato cage everything but chinense.

With annuums it's a totally different story. Pods tend to be more meaty and larger and you get a branch full of Anaheims...snap!

Even with those Thais you grow, I'd cage it. The way one branch will have a cluster of about 30-40 pods.

At this point in the season though, it just may be easier to stake like Tony said.

Kevin

• MadCat1118
    10 years ago

I stake the plant and tie heavy or leaning branches to the stake with twine. I make it a loop around the stake and branch so the branch has room to grow, but still gets support. I can't guarantee this method, as I just lost two yellow bells due to a branch breaking from a storm.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Couple of 4ft stakes, placed in the pot at the time of planting would 've solved the problem. It is not advisable to drive stakes into roots at this stage. Depending on the variety, I would harvest some to lighten up the load. In the meantime you can make SALSA VERDE with them.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

It is very unfortunate to know the breaking branches, I had similar situation before I managed it, like the following pictures.

The blue ribbon were not bound directly to the branches but a rubber.

{{gwi:1206665}}

This is an aluminium pole with a hook.

{{gwi:1206667}}

I hope you could understand my poor English and pictorial suggestion :-).

Caelian

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

I routinely use those store bought tomato cages with my peppers. Heaven knows those funnel shaped tomato cages aren't sturdy enough for tomatoes, but they work just fine for peppers.

And a little twine can come in handy for some of the stragglers.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did something similar to Caelian's picture, only not as nice looking, using the stuff I had on hand. I took bamboo stakes, and used a hacksaw to cut a notch in it, tied some twine around it, and tied the branches up using a double knotted loose loops. they appear as if they'll do the trick. here's a closeup pic.

also, word to the wise: I thought the green bamboo and green twine would be nice because it wouldn't show up as easily near my plants. but they are just normal bamboo and twine with very heavy dye on them, that gets all over your hands and is difficult to wash off. use it if you wanna have a green thumb... and there's my pun for the day.

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

Peppers really do not need much support in my experience. The larger annuums are sort of an exception and you definitely get a feel for when they need support or not. I just use the 3 foot bamboo stakes and stick 3 or 4 in around a pepper plant, slanted inward and diagonally if that makes any sense. Just prop a main "Y" on each stake and you're pretty much set. It takes about 10 seconds to support a whole plant and those little stakes are plenty, the plant just needs something to rest the main branches on.

I agree that it should not be a problem with chinense. They will sag to the substrate and get kinda ugly but i have never seen one snap. Annuums are definitely more risky especially in windy areas. Put your time and effort into supporting your tomatoes and cucumbers, stick a few stakes in the ground or invert an otherwise useless "tomato cage" for the peppas.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Nice work Judo.

Phildeez, I have the same opinion as you said. Mature plants do not break the branches easily, some of my containers fell down on the ground due to the strong wind but no damage except a couple of small pods lost.

I have two reasons to lift the branches a bit higher, first, I do not have enough space (the place I live is not for gardeners) so it gives more space and second specially the Rocoto the pods are touched the soil and I am worried about harmful insects.

Enjoy gardening and help the environment:-)

Caelian

• salevene
    10 years ago

If its not advisable to stake the plant once its bigger and starts producing, what are the options if it needs support?

If I bought a tomato cage for support, would I be able to plant it in the pot, or those thin steel rods would be just as disruptive?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Salavene:

Nah. Those rods wouldn't hurt it too much. The problem is fitting it around a larger plant without busting branches, knocking unripe pods off, etc.

LOL.. it can be done. You just have to take your time. You can even try doing it upside down and not even inserting the rods.

Also, you can still stake -- just make sure you stake OUTSIDE the width of the plant. Not ideal, but doable. Shouldn't cause too much damage to the roots.

Kevin

Sponsored