Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nctomatoman

Peppadew peppers - seeds available?

nctomatoman
17 years ago

I was speaking at an heirloom tomato dinner at a local restaurant last evening -one of the owners mentioned a pepper that he really loved that he tried when visiting South Africa - called a Peppadew. I did a little Googling around, sounds like one of those better than possible myths or hypes...anyone here ever grown or tasted it, or has any further info?

Craig

Comments (79)

• mread
    13 years ago

Hi All,

Deserate to get some of these seeds down under in New Zealand.
    If someone could send some of these to me ill be able to grow a heap of them (i have a bit of land). and will gladly distribute seeds free of charge.

Please contact mread at lamberts.co.nz

Much appreciated!!

• shantivz_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I stay in South Africa and just bought 2 peppadew plants. Dying to see what they taste like raw and if I can pickle them. I love that they are not that hot but flavour filled. Mine don't look too well or healty!

If anyone has grown them or know what conditions they like or diseases they are inclined to have, it would be much appreciated! (Growing jalepenos and regular peppers and they are doing fine!)

Thank you :-)

• kvan75_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

My son loves the peppers. We tried other peppers that looked like them but to no avail. I would be willing to pay a fee and postage to anyone who has some seeds. Need desperately, please.

• chartim
    13 years ago

I would like to obtain some peppadew seeds if anyone has some available. I will be happy to pay postage and a fee. I have Heirloom seeds of other peppers and veggies to trade if you prefer. email thr8847@centurylink.net

• kaidian_blade_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

There is a South African restaurant here in Texas that has many dishes with Peppadew peppers. Occasionally and very rarely, they forget to remove some of the seeds from the peppers. I collected 10 seeds over a year's time and tried to germinate them. Unfortunately, none of them took. I believe the pickling process used to process the peppers destroys the seeds. I'm trying again with 4 more seeds this Spring. Wish me luck!

• powerslaw_prodigy_net
    13 years ago

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,I am BEGGING for someone from our gardening circle, to please share some of your Peppadew Seeds with me.
    Although I live in Chicago, my dad has a one acre lot in Southern Wisconsin. My dad is 90 years old and I believe that he is thriving because I take him up to Wisconsin where I plop him under a glorious apple tree so that he can watch me break my back and create miracles on his little one acre. I learned how to can all of the things my mom used to make for him. He loves peppers.
    Last year I tried my first Farmer's Market. It was wonderful. He cried.
    I have a ton of fabulous organic seeds of tomatoes, peppers, zucchini's, and tons of flowers that I willing to share on top of paying for these seeds.
    I can be reached at powerslaw@prodigy.net.

Respectfully begging,
    Darka

• seasidesellers_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

These are the BEST Peppers I have ever had. I would love to find someone who would sell me some seeds. They are really good on Pizza.

• kaidian
    12 years ago

As a follow up to my previous post, the last few Peppadew seeds I had and tried to germinate, well... didn't. :(

There does not appear to be a viable means to germinate the seeds once they have gone through the pickling process.

• haveanicedayman_hotmail_co_uk
    12 years ago

Hi I was wondering if anyone can get me some of these seeds? I'm a young amateur gardener and I love these peppers, so if anyone can give me some seeds I'd be happy to pay for them, feel free to email me at: haveanicedayman@hotmail.co.uk

P.S. I live in Ireland (technically United Kingdom), and I will of course pay for postage costs if anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance - Joe

• flowbee235
    12 years ago

Hi,

if anyone has any extra seeds that i could buy or trade for it would be great.

Thanks

• Audiological
    12 years ago

Like the many others on this post, I am looking to get my hands on some viable peppadew pepper seeds.

If you have any, I would gladly trade some of the pepper seeds I have or pay a small shipping fee. Message me on my page to get a hold of me.

Thanks a bunch!

• snoeps
    12 years ago

I've just joined this site. I live in the United Kingdom (Essex), am South African born and bred, and simply love peppadews. On my last visit I got some seeds and have successfully germinated around 40 plants. I still have some seeds left over if anyone wants some. Get in touch with me at vanessajday@gmail.com and I'll happily post you some.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

I sent you an E Mail for setting up a trade.

• electricfish_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I bought some peppers that look an aweful lot like Peppadews. Here is a Peppadew: http://www.slashfood.com/media/2006/03/peppadews.png

Here is what I bought: http://www.bonnieplants.com/products/tabid/255/p-952-hot-red-cherry.aspx

Probably not the same thing, but worth a shot with the pickling method above.

• Bstrin5150
    12 years ago

I was wondering since it is harvest season if any one was going to have any seeds available. I will pay any postage and will be sure to share the seeds from what i harvest next fall in return. If any one has any you can email me at bstrin5150@gmail.com

• Armageddon
    12 years ago

i also am looking for some of these hard to find peppadew seeds i have a lot of space to grow some and will share seeds come harvest time can email me at pepperhead@letitflowcreations.com thanks in advance

• 2009mdx
    11 years ago

I live in So. Calif. and my local stater bros market has the great peppers on the salad bar. I love the taste and I am on a mission to locate some seeds too.

• Soulfire
    11 years ago

I saw that amazon.com has a company from California selling Malawi Pepperdew plants... Sounds an awful lot like Peppadew from the description. Has anyone tried these peppers or bought anything off these people? The company is called Refining Fire Chiles. Thought you all might be interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Link for Refining Fire Chiles

• SeanFr
    10 years ago

Hi Guys.

I know this is an old thread, however I think some clarity around the Malawi Pepperdew and the Trademarked PDI Peppadew is required.

I originally received the Malawi Pepperdew (and some other) seed from a migrant laborer from Malawi called Gilbert who worked for me for around 4 years. The original seed was given to me in 2003.

The Malawi Pepperdew and Paprika were/are cash crops for his family just outside Lilongwe in Malawi, and they grew and dried the fruits for the local market.

The naming of the Malawi Pepperdew was simply the fact that it came from Malawi and tasted/acted/preserved like the already well known PDI (Peppadew International) piquant pepper.

The Trademarked PDI pepper was allegedly found in a garden in East London (South Africa) and subsequently trademarked and was assigned PBR protection that has now lapsed. There are questions around this specific PBR instance as there is an accession in one of our seed banks with remarkably similar if not exact characteristics. Which is now a moot point as the PBR has lapsed. The Trademarked Peppadew is NOT a hybrid and is an OP variety.

The Malawi Pepperdew and the PDI one (plus a whole lot of others emerging) have a unique flavor that is easily identifiable and unique to these strains. Much like other well known chilies like the Haba's / Tabasco etc in the fact that it is a recognizable flavor that is present in fresh, dried and preserved fruit.

The best way to preserve the fruit in my experience is to core them, put them into a jar and cover with a warm 50/50 vinegar and water mix with a level tablespoon of sugar and a level teaspoon of salt per 750 ml jar. Nothing fancy and simple. Leave for three weeks and enjoy.

Is it rare? Nope no longer we have been exchanging the seed of 10 years and selling the seed for the last 4 years.

Please note that we are a small South African seed company and do not ship internationally, I posted this just for information/education purposes.

• Kimmyd72
    9 years ago

Hi all
    not sure how alive this thread still is

I have seeds from SA (I originate from SA) and have managed to plant and get more peppers and seeds

if anyone would like seeds please message me
    I would like the costs to be covered as I am on the dole, just need to work out how to do that, never done this before

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Hello Kimmyd72,

Welcome to our forum!

Thank you for kind offer of shared seeds in your first post. With regard to how to do a seed offer so that the person requesting them covers the cost with a sasbe (self addressed bubble envelope or a simple sase (self addressed stamped envelope), see the link below.

Obviously since you are located in the Netherlands most if not all people taking advantage of your offer won't have Dutch stamps to include. I would set up a paypal account and have anyone requesting seeds send you postage costs via paypay..

Just a suggestion.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: SASBE

• colleenwalsh02
    8 years ago

I bought seeds on EBay that claim to be Peppedews. Nearly all the seeds germinated. Only time will tell how they grow!

• tom1992
    8 years ago

Colleenwalsh02, you bumped a 9 year old thread! Haha. I wonder if anyone on this thread still uses GW

• bragu_DSM 5
    8 years ago

tom

of course we do

• Sandra Cardwell
    6 years ago

I have just sent for seeds to the following company in USA who sell them for $5 plus postage. They are known as Malawi Piquante Peppers and are the basis for Peppadew peppers sold in jars. Looking forward to receiving them and getting started. https://thehippyseedcompany.com Good Luck.

• pepperplus
    6 years ago

I am also growing this for the first time this year..I think The Hippy Seed Co., is in Australia?

• Sandra Cardwell
    6 years ago

I stand corrected. Just saw the Dollar sign and wrongly assumed USA. Good luck with your pepper growing this year.

• MikeUSMC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes, The Hippy Seed Company is in Australia. I've never ordered from them, but I've heard nothing but absolutely fantastic reviews from that vendor. I think they ship internationally too. The guy, Neil, has some pretty good pod review videos out there too

• Dalyce Alvarado
    6 years ago

I stumbled upon this thread after being gifted a "peppadew" seedling at Easter. I transplanted it about 2 months ago and it's growing very strong. They're still green so it'll be a little while until I harvest, but I had no idea the peppadew was so elusive (and protected). Any chance someone could identify whether I have peppadews (as it was labeled when I got it) or if they're just pepperdew/piquante? I'm in north Texas by the way, using very warm organic soil

• the_northeast_chileman
    6 years ago

looks like peppadew to me!

• Sandra Cardwell
    6 years ago

My seeds arrived from Australia with a lovely warm message of encouragement from Neil and Charlotte of the Hippy Seed Company. I duly planted 12 of my seeds and am happy to report that 9 have sprouted and I'm following the instructions to mist them every day. Every digit is crossed that our Summer will last long enough to get these babies well on the way to maturity and cropping. Till then, I will continue making my cream cheese stuffed canapes with miniature sweet peppers roasted in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt flakes. Can't wait to be able to do this using the 'Real Macoy'.

• rdback
    6 years ago

I agree, looks like a Peppadew to me as well.

• plally1631
    6 years ago

I started growing Peppadews I bought on ebay over the winter, and planted them in the spring. I now ha e 10 plants that are about 4 ft. tall, wuth about ten peppers on each. Each pepper has been green for aboyt 6 weeks; does anybody now how long it takes for these to ripen?

• pepperplus
    6 years ago

Congrats nice looking pods//doubt I'd see any ripe pods on my plant as the temps in my neck of the woods has been rather inconsistent in the last 2 months..nothing compared to Texas heat.

• bvandergriff60
    6 years ago

I was reading the part where the friend of yours had seeds of the famous (pepper dew ) and he had ran out .if people still interested my seeds will be ready in a month for a five dollar shipping fee you will receive a package of 25 of this year seeds also will have one and half pound tomato seeds reach me buy gmail thanks bvandergriff36@gmail.com

• maverickcro
    6 years ago

hello peppadewers .. wondering hows your impressions so far with seeds.. did you receive real peppadews and if so i would gladly like someone to track me down where to get seeds as the one i have received last year is far from peppadews and is more like default cherry mild/hot peppers :( heard non commercial name of peppadews are Malawi Piquante Peppers so i would like to verity if someone compared raw fresh Pappadew and Malawi

• patswetnam
    6 years ago

I have 6 plants from seeds that a friend gave me in February. I started them indoors in March, put them in pots and they each have about 25 peppers on them. I don't know if they are real peppadews, and they just started turning slightly orangy red from the bottom up yesterday. I'm guessing the cooler temperatures will encourage them to turn red. Happy to share a few seeds. Can't wait until they are ripe. Not sure what I have. Look like peppadews.

patswetnam@gmail.com

• Dalyce Alvarado
    6 years ago

the last two months have yielded quite a few pods from my plants. I've cored them and pickled them so now I've got hundreds of seeds drying in the windows. If you'd like some you can email me; dalyce.stone@gmail.com.** I have no way of guaranteeing their authenticityas "peppadews"** :)

considering the peppadew trademark refers to the end product, correct, after the pickling process ?

• Sandra Cardwell
    6 years ago

Very new to this so need advice. My plants are now a foot high and have beautiful soft spade shaped leaves. I am hoping to keep them alive and well for next years season as too late for this as we in Lancashire, Northern England had such a bad Summer. Do I pinch out the main tip? They are in the greenhouse at the moment and will be transferred to the conservatory before the first frost. Do I water weekly then or as and when needed?

• isgen
    6 years ago

When I overwinter pepper plants, I usually do an extreme trim and cleanup of the leaves, branches and roots, as well as re-potting with fresh medium, mostly to avoid pest issues inside the house. You could bring in your plants just as they are or prune to almost any level you like, depending how concerned you are with aphids and the like. What are those pots, 6" or so? It's a good size to overwinter plants of that size, so keep those. You'll get the hang of their watering schedule fast enough, which should not be too often, especially if you prune them. I usually wait until the plant looks a bit thirsty or for the top inch of medium to feel dry and then deeply water. You should not need to fertilize, especially if your potting medium is relatively fresh, at least not until early spring.

• plally1631
    6 years ago

Awwwww YEAH!!! The first of many!

• Dusty Thomas
    6 years ago
    I have so many seeds I don’t know what to do with them all
    One plant is super productive. For months now.
  • the_northeast_chileman
    6 years ago

That's the plant you want to keep seeds from in the hopes parent plant productivity gene will be passed down!

• Sandra Cardwell
    6 years ago

I had no idea these plants lived so long. I though them just like the normal salad peppers we grown here in the UK and that they only had the one season. I planted my seeds in the early Summer and they had done nothing but grow in the greenhouse and it was getting colder. I brought them in and onto my kitchen window ledge in the sun all day and they have taken over. Some have born fruit (still green) but most are now about to touch the ceiling. I am going to be brave and top them at first then heavily prune in the spring when they will be put back in the greenhouse. All I can advise it sell your seeds on line or locally as people will love to have such prize peppers in their larder.

• labs4us52
    6 years ago

Seeds are available at Ebay under peppadew seeds. 10 for $6.00.

• Sandra Cardwell
    6 years ago

Luckily three of my little Pepperdews grew to adulthood and I harvested them. I now have about 40 seeds in dry storage for the future and the parent stock at about 8" high covered in new shoots ready to plant in the Greenhouse come the warmer weather. Thank you Hippy Seed Company for the original healthy seeds.

• Kansas Farm Girl - Shell - South of KC
    6 years ago

Malawi Piquante is available from Trade Winds. It's in my 2018 grow list.

Shell 6A

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    6 years ago

I grew it last year but wasn't sure that I would like it and didn't save seeds. However, it did not succumb to broad mites, which were a huge problem for me last year and I anticipate will also be this year. Will be growing it again this year from seed acquired at a seed swap.

Cindy

• Sandra Cardwell
    6 years ago

My plants seem to be the food of choice for the Trillions of minute White Fly here in the UK. I think I may have to zap the greenhouse with a bug bomb before trying to grow anything this year. The new growth on the old stock now overwintering in the conservatory are still covered in the pesky white veil and trying all the known sprays to get rid of the problem. Don't want to throw them away as they are so very hardy and want to get a real crop from them this year if at all possible.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner