Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppadew peppers - seeds available?

Posted by nctomatoman z7/8 NC (clehoullier@nc.rr.com) on
Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 15:50

I was speaking at an heirloom tomato dinner at a local restaurant last evening -one of the owners mentioned a pepper that he really loved that he tried when visiting South Africa - called a Peppadew. I did a little Googling around, sounds like one of those better than possible myths or hypes...anyone here ever grown or tasted it, or has any further info?

Craig

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppadew peppers - seeds available?

There used to be a thread here but I can't find it. It seems to me that the conclusion was that the pepper wasn't significant but the processing and selling under that name was.

o

• Posted by remos Netherlands (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 19:24

I bought a pot of them peppadews a while ago.
All I can say is yuck! I really didn't like them.
Literally no heat at all, and they taste like a spoon of sugar with a little piece of pepper on it. Really didn't like them. In my opinion it's not really a pepper, but it is the end product you can buy in a jar. If there are any seeds I don't know, but if there are and you would want that exact same flavour, you would need their pickling recipe too I guess.

o

Hi Craig,

Any luck on your search for pepperdew seeds? The peppers are commercially available at Whole Foods Markets in Massachusettes. I really like them and was doing a search on the internet for seeds myself and saw your post. It looks like the plant (a hybrid?) and the brine are a well guarded secret.

carolyn

o

Request peppadew seeds from www.thechiliexchangeproject.com I'll have some December 2007. The just dormant(ie dead) at the moment!

Here is a link that might be useful: exchange chili seeds for free

o

Wonder if my follow-up went through. Would like to order some seeds if possible when they are available in December.
maureen2838@yahoo.com

o

june 29 to december of same year, when growing for seed, is "optimistic."

o

This whole endeavor seems kind of futile. It seems to be an unexceptional pepper for which you need the secret recipe (which is not available)to process them. Kind of like raising a chicken to make Kentucky Fried.

o

You got me laughing when I read that analogy John. :)

Chris

o

So.....Did anyone ever find seeds for the Peppadew? I'd sure like to try and grow it.

o

I was visiting my local supermarket which just recently converted to a new more "exotic" chain, where they bring in a lot of stuff you wouldn't normally see at a supermarket. Anyways, I noticed they had a little mini-deli bar with a bunch of antipastos laid out, and you could spoon out what you want into a jar to take home with you. I was shocked to see the selection of pepper antipastos they had, red-ripe jalapenos w/garlic, stuffed cherry peppers, mixed sweet peppers, and to my surprise: peppadew. Now I wasn't all that impressed with them, in fact I though they were horrible, but I did notice that there were seeds..lots of them. The only thing I'm not sure of is wether or not they would germinate, as they are swimming in some kind of vegetable or olive oil? If I thought they would grow, I'd grab some for whoever was interested, but I have my doubts.

o

I think whether you like the Peppadew depends on taste. I love them.
I was able to obtain fresh seed for them from a fellow gardener that knew someone in S. Africa that could get them.
I have germinated 10 and so far have 4 up.

o

Yes, they are available! I did quite a bit of "surfing", looking at many web sites via a Google search for "peppadew", "peppadew peppers", and peppadew pepper seeds" and finally found reference to a source in South Africa. It looks as though the "peppadew name" is registered or patented so the man who responded had to misspell the word. Here is the text of his email message to me:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

"To: Nina & Bob Freeman
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: Peppadew Seeds

Hi Nina and Bob,

Thanks for your interest in the seeds. Ive had an overwhelming demand for the pepperdew seeds (deliberately spelt incorrectly due to trademark). Ive sent seeds both locally and internationally but all the postage is starting to take its toll. I have no intention to sell you the seeds but it would be great if you could help towards the postage. 3 dollars covers the cost to most destinations. Ill pay in the extra should it be over that amount.

My address is:

Brandon Rock
19 Bonito Rd
Talbot Park
Boksburg
South Africa

Please include your name and postal address"
---------------------------------------------------

I sent $3 cash to him and waited and waited and finally his envelope with seeds arrived. There were 21 seeds and I planted nine of them in a seed tray and put it into a homemade seed starter box. It's a Styrofoam cooler with an old heating pad adjusted to about 90 degrees. they took almost three week to sprout (7 of the 9) and I've now got them growing on a windowsill. They're about to get there first true leaves.
Here in north Florida, I normally start pepper seeds in November because they grow so slow. But I couldn't wait to start these. It'll be interesting to find out how they develop in a few weeks.

o

On Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 8:53 I posted information to this forum about how I obtained and planted Peppadew pepper seeds. The man from whom I got the seeds in South Africa (Brandon - webmaster@thechiliexchangeproject.com) has "run out" and has emailed me the following:

"Hi Nina and Bob,
How is the pepperdew growing going? Any luck yet? Over the past few weeks Ive been receiving letters and money for seeds from people whom Ive had no contact with. I did some research on the net and found the following link: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0815504025562.html.
The problem is that I have no seeds left and I keep having to send the money back cause I dont believe in keeping the money if I cant send seeds. Is there any way for you to remove that post? This would really be appreciated."
By this post I am trying to help out by asking that no one else contact him. I will also tell him that seven of the nine seeds I planted are shown in the two pictures that can be seen by clicking on the following URLs. Both pictures were taken today in Tallahassee, Florida.
Here in north Florida, I normally start pepper seeds in November because they grow so slow. But I couldn't wait to start these. It'll be interesting to find out how they develop in a few weeks.
Here they are today, May 5, 2008.
http://www.pbase.com/bfreeman/image/96637866
http://www.pbase.com/bfreeman/image/96637827

If they mature, I'll save seeds and offer them in this forum.
Bob Freeman

o

I have a contact with friends in S. Africa and she has sent seeds ( says birds carry the seeds to their property from the guarded fields). She also say she does not believe there is anything special about the pepper--just a thick walled cherry pepper-- and provided a recipe to make your own. I have never tasted these peppers so I don't know how accurate it is but thought I would throw it out there if someone wants to try it.

Peppadew Pickled Peppers

Cut off stem and deseed unless you want burning hot peppers. It's best to use surgical gloves, as the peppers can make your fingers burn. Cut off the stem end and scrape out the seeds with a small teaspoon. Try to remove all the seeds. Dissolve about 4 tablespoons sea salt in just over 2 cups water. (We have metric measurements: 60g salt to 600ml water.

In another submission of this recipe, the author gave the following instructions: Leave overnight in a brine consisting of 2 ounces kosher/coarse salt and about 2 1/3 cups water). Drop peppers into brine after deseeding, and leave them in for a few hours or overnight. (Increase brine mixture according to volume of peppers!) Put a plate or other weight on top if necessary, to stop them from bobbing on top.

Before continuing, be sure your jars, caps and rings are very clean and sterilized in boiling water. Leave in the hot water until ready to fill the jars.

Syrup ingredients:

1-1/2 cups good vinegar, grape or wine or malt (5% acetic acid)

1-1/4 cup sugar

1 cup water

a few pieces sliced fresh ginger

some fresh garlic cloves

2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns (the mixed peppercorns are nice)

some bay or lemon leaves

a little sea salt

Additional ingredients: 2 whole green chili peppers, reserved, optional extra small whole green chili peppers for garnish

Combine the syrup ingredients in a non-reactive pot that is large enough to hold the peppers. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then bring to a rolling boil. Take care, as the mixture does foam up a bit.

In the meantime, rinse the brined peppers. Place in a colander or sieve and shake to remove as much moisture as possible. Add the peppers along with the green chili peppers to the boiling syrup. Boil for a minute or two. Use a slotted spoon to fill the jars with the peppers. Push them in; you want to fill the bottles nicely! Then pour over the boiling hot mixture. Use a small rubber spatula along with gentle tapping and rotation of the jars in to fill the pepper hollows with the syrup. You can add a green chili to each jar for decorative purposes if you like. Final filling should be to 1/2-inch of the top.

Wipe the rims of the jars. Cap the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet, 15 minutes from altitudes of 1000 to 6000 feet, and 20 minutes above 6000 feet. Leave for about 2 - 3 weeks before use.

o

I think that if you have not grown any of these peppers you would not understand. I have been growing these for 4 years.
They are an exceptional fruit with a flavor I have never before encountered. The poster who said that they are just a pepper and it is the recipe that is the reason for the flavor is wrong. These are excellent to eat right from the bush. they have a honeylike taste at the start and a medium to hot finish.
I have made several different recipes including a fantastic barbecue sauce. and yes I have seeds.

o

Do you have a picture of your peppers? The Peppadew people themselves say the pepper is called 'piquante'. The processed pepper is called Peppadew and does not refer to the plain pepper.

o

mcelcarl, I have been googling as well and these sound very good. I also had seen them in an appetizer on Semi Homemade recently and hadn't heard of them. I would be happy to send you a SASE if you wouldn't mind sharing some seeds. I am a new grower so I have nothing to trade yet.

Thank you! Erin

o

mcelcarl, I would also like some of the peppadew seeds if you have some to spare. I can give you a list of seeds for trade or send SASE. PLMK. Thanks, Jackie

o

Hello,
I am french and I am looking for Peppadew seeds.
Somebody has some seeds to me ?
Annie

o

This pepper was made famous by the Food Network. Ever since everyone has been scrambling to get the seeds. The hot item everyone is after now is Peruvian corn after being used on Iron Chef. It looks like hominy on a cob, huge kernels with only about six or eight rows of kernels. Another tough one to get.

o

I have recently gotten a recipe for Italian Salsa, which calls for peppadews and the juice. It is Guy Fieri's recipe from the Food Network, it sounds wonderful. From the postings Trader Joe's looks like the place to get my hands on these little devils. I also would like to grow them, I live in Illinois and wondering if the Spring and Summer climate of the midwest would be good growing conditions.

o

Good luck finding the seeds. I remember this thread from last year and I am still wishing for seeds myself. :( Word on the street is that they are not available commerically.

I didn't know that Trader Joe's carried them, I stumbled on some at a little store in Maine last Fall. Tough commute from Virginia though. You can also find them on the olive bar at supermarkets. I would check them though because I have got them from the olive bar and they had turned. Ick.

Oh, Guy Fieri also has a pasta salad or something on the food network website that has peppadews. It's kind of weird tasting, I made it.

o

I am growing these now but it will be a while till harvest,I'm looking forward to trying this recipie and of course will trade seeds.

o

I can wait!! :)

Where did you get the seeds originally?

o

I recently received peppadew seeds as part of an exchange with a source in Southern California.

o

I would like to obtain some peppadew seeds if anyone has some available. I will be happy to pay postage or a fee. I also have a number of chili/tomato seed I can share if you prefer.

o

I am still looking for peppadew seeds. If anyone has some to spare please contact me at scdssf@yahoo.com. Thanks!

o

Yes I got my seeds from Park Seeds # 5611 Pepper Cherry Pick Hybrid. I grew these last year and had great results! I just places another order this year and I can't wait.

o

I too am hoping to find Generous benefactor who would be willing to send me a few precious seeds from their Peppadew.

o
New Zealand seeks Peppadew.

Hi All,

Deserate to get some of these seeds down under in New Zealand.
If someone could send some of these to me ill be able to grow a heap of them (i have a bit of land). and will gladly distribute seeds free of charge.

Please contact mread at lamberts.co.nz

Much appreciated!!

o

I stay in South Africa and just bought 2 peppadew plants. Dying to see what they taste like raw and if I can pickle them. I love that they are not that hot but flavour filled. Mine don't look too well or healty!

If anyone has grown them or know what conditions they like or diseases they are inclined to have, it would be much appreciated! (Growing jalepenos and regular peppers and they are doing fine!)

Thank you :-)

o

My son loves the peppers. We tried other peppers that looked like them but to no avail. I would be willing to pay a fee and postage to anyone who has some seeds. Need desperately, please.

o

I would like to obtain some peppadew seeds if anyone has some available. I will be happy to pay postage and a fee. I have Heirloom seeds of other peppers and veggies to trade if you prefer. email thr8847@centurylink.net

o

There is a South African restaurant here in Texas that has many dishes with Peppadew peppers. Occasionally and very rarely, they forget to remove some of the seeds from the peppers. I collected 10 seeds over a year's time and tried to germinate them. Unfortunately, none of them took. I believe the pickling process used to process the peppers destroys the seeds. I'm trying again with 4 more seeds this Spring. Wish me luck!

o

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,I am BEGGING for someone from our gardening circle, to please share some of your Peppadew Seeds with me.
Although I live in Chicago, my dad has a one acre lot in Southern Wisconsin. My dad is 90 years old and I believe that he is thriving because I take him up to Wisconsin where I plop him under a glorious apple tree so that he can watch me break my back and create miracles on his little one acre. I learned how to can all of the things my mom used to make for him. He loves peppers.
Last year I tried my first Farmer's Market. It was wonderful. He cried.
I have a ton of fabulous organic seeds of tomatoes, peppers, zucchini's, and tons of flowers that I willing to share on top of paying for these seeds.
I can be reached at powerslaw@prodigy.net.

Respectfully begging,
Darka

o

These are the BEST Peppers I have ever had. I would love to find someone who would sell me some seeds. They are really good on Pizza.

o

As a follow up to my previous post, the last few Peppadew seeds I had and tried to germinate, well... didn't. :(

There does not appear to be a viable means to germinate the seeds once they have gone through the pickling process.

o

Hi I was wondering if anyone can get me some of these seeds? I'm a young amateur gardener and I love these peppers, so if anyone can give me some seeds I'd be happy to pay for them, feel free to email me at: haveanicedayman@hotmail.co.uk

P.S. I live in Ireland (technically United Kingdom), and I will of course pay for postage costs if anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance - Joe

o

Hi,

if anyone has any extra seeds that i could buy or trade for it would be great.

Thanks

o

Like the many others on this post, I am looking to get my hands on some viable peppadew pepper seeds.

If you have any, I would gladly trade some of the pepper seeds I have or pay a small shipping fee. Message me on my page to get a hold of me.

Thanks a bunch!

o

I've just joined this site. I live in the United Kingdom (Essex), am South African born and bred, and simply love peppadews. On my last visit I got some seeds and have successfully germinated around 40 plants. I still have some seeds left over if anyone wants some. Get in touch with me at vanessajday@gmail.com and I'll happily post you some.

o

I sent you an E Mail for setting up a trade.

o

I bought some peppers that look an aweful lot like Peppadews. Here is a Peppadew: http://www.slashfood.com/media/2006/03/peppadews.png

Here is what I bought: http://www.bonnieplants.com/products/tabid/255/p-952-hot-red-cherry.aspx

Probably not the same thing, but worth a shot with the pickling method above.

o

I was wondering since it is harvest season if any one was going to have any seeds available. I will pay any postage and will be sure to share the seeds from what i harvest next fall in return. If any one has any you can email me at bstrin5150@gmail.com

o

i also am looking for some of these hard to find peppadew seeds i have a lot of space to grow some and will share seeds come harvest time can email me at pepperhead@letitflowcreations.com thanks in advance

o

I live in So. Calif. and my local stater bros market has the great peppers on the salad bar. I love the taste and I am on a mission to locate some seeds too.

o

I saw that amazon.com has a company from California selling Malawi Pepperdew plants... Sounds an awful lot like Peppadew from the description. Has anyone tried these peppers or bought anything off these people? The company is called Refining Fire Chiles. Thought you all might be interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Link for Refining Fire Chiles

o

Hi Guys.

I know this is an old thread, however I think some clarity around the Malawi Pepperdew and the Trademarked PDI Peppadew is required.

I originally received the Malawi Pepperdew (and some other) seed from a migrant laborer from Malawi called Gilbert who worked for me for around 4 years. The original seed was given to me in 2003.

The Malawi Pepperdew and Paprika were/are cash crops for his family just outside Lilongwe in Malawi, and they grew and dried the fruits for the local market.

The naming of the Malawi Pepperdew was simply the fact that it came from Malawi and tasted/acted/preserved like the already well known PDI (Peppadew International) piquant pepper.

The Trademarked PDI pepper was allegedly found in a garden in East London (South Africa) and subsequently trademarked and was assigned PBR protection that has now lapsed. There are questions around this specific PBR instance as there is an accession in one of our seed banks with remarkably similar if not exact characteristics. Which is now a moot point as the PBR has lapsed. The Trademarked Peppadew is NOT a hybrid and is an OP variety.

The Malawi Pepperdew and the PDI one (plus a whole lot of others emerging) have a unique flavor that is easily identifiable and unique to these strains. Much like other well known chilies like the Haba's / Tabasco etc in the fact that it is a recognizable flavor that is present in fresh, dried and preserved fruit.

The best way to preserve the fruit in my experience is to core them, put them into a jar and cover with a warm 50/50 vinegar and water mix with a level tablespoon of sugar and a level teaspoon of salt per 750 ml jar. Nothing fancy and simple. Leave for three weeks and enjoy.

Is it rare? Nope no longer we have been exchanging the seed of 10 years and selling the seed for the last 4 years.

Please note that we are a small South African seed company and do not ship internationally, I posted this just for information/education purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here