Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone verify that these are habanero?

Posted by rockymountainkat 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 15:52

I bought these at the local market and the guy said "habanero" when I purchased them. What I want to know is if they are really habanero or something else, and what variety are they specifically? I thought they were red savina, but I'm not confident in my chili knowledge. The largest chilis are about 2.5 inches long and maybe 1.5 inches wide, there are some smaller chilis in there that look similar but are much smaller, maybe one inch by one inch. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone verify that these are habanero?

My guesses would be a red Habanero, next would be Naga. Does not really have the shape of a savina that I've seen.

Have you tasted them yet? If so how would you describe the heat level?

Mark

o

I agree Mark. My first guess was red habanero also. I think they are a bit too long to be Red Savina. I'm not sure about Naga, never grown any. Here's a pic of my Red Savinas if that will help.

Tim

o

Thanks for the replies and pics. I tried the chiles yesterday. I can not stand over them or touch them without my trachea hurting and hands burning; however, we pureed two of these chiles (with the seeds taken out) with oil and mixed it into 2 pounds of hamburger meat. We grilled the meat and there was very little spice in my opinion (just enough to heat up the inside of my ears but not the blistering heat I expected). They had this great sweet flavor with the heat of a serrano. I will definitely be growing these next year as I saved seeds and loved the flavor. I also notice your red savina chiles are much more squatty than my chiles, very intersting. I guess these are just some type of habanero then?

o

I would assume red habanero. I think there is a caribbean habanero, but that may just be another name for red. I'm sure there is someone else a lot smarter than I that could point you in the right direction. Glad to hear you like them! Good luck.

Tim

o

+1 for Red Hab. Those are great looking pods. What else are you growing?

o

> " I will definitely be growing these next year as I saved seeds"

Heck, no need to replant if you just over-winter it. Peppers aren't annuals.

o

These peppers were from the local market, so I am starting some seeds now and hope to grow a big, strong plant to feed my face with red habs forever! This year will be my first year at trying to over-winter peppers, it seems pretty easy, so I hope all goes well for me. I typically grow serranos (my favorite for flavor and level of heat when raw; plus they dry well as a ristra for me here in Colorado), pasilla bajio, poblano, some sweet bell varieties and jalapenos. I am trying to grow ghost chiles but I have been having a hard time, I will try from seed again soon to get a strong plant. I grow tomatoes as well (some heirloom and some hybrids), or rather they grow for me really well with hardly any work :)

o

Some Red Habs, most likely Caribbean Red, for comparison....

o

Hey Josh.....how does the heat and flavor of those compare to a red savina? I would assume it would be pretty close. If not, what would it take to pry some of those seeds away from you?

Tim

o

These were larger than the Savinas that I tried. The flavor was pretty close,
and the heat about the same. I would use them interchangeably in preparations or dishes.
E-mail me...I might have a dried pod that I can crack for seed.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here