Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockymountainkat

Can anyone verify that these are habanero?

rockymountainkat
11 years ago

I bought these at the local market and the guy said "habanero" when I purchased them. What I want to know is if they are really habanero or something else, and what variety are they specifically? I thought they were red savina, but I'm not confident in my chili knowledge. The largest chilis are about 2.5 inches long and maybe 1.5 inches wide, there are some smaller chilis in there that look similar but are much smaller, maybe one inch by one inch. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

My guesses would be a red Habanero, next would be Naga. Does not really have the shape of a savina that I've seen.

Have you tasted them yet? If so how would you describe the heat level?

Mark

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I agree Mark. My first guess was red habanero also. I think they are a bit too long to be Red Savina. I'm not sure about Naga, never grown any. Here's a pic of my Red Savinas if that will help.

Tim

• rockymountainkat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies and pics. I tried the chiles yesterday. I can not stand over them or touch them without my trachea hurting and hands burning; however, we pureed two of these chiles (with the seeds taken out) with oil and mixed it into 2 pounds of hamburger meat. We grilled the meat and there was very little spice in my opinion (just enough to heat up the inside of my ears but not the blistering heat I expected). They had this great sweet flavor with the heat of a serrano. I will definitely be growing these next year as I saved seeds and loved the flavor. I also notice your red savina chiles are much more squatty than my chiles, very intersting. I guess these are just some type of habanero then?

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I would assume red habanero. I think there is a caribbean habanero, but that may just be another name for red. I'm sure there is someone else a lot smarter than I that could point you in the right direction. Glad to hear you like them! Good luck.

Tim

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

+1 for Red Hab. Those are great looking pods. What else are you growing?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

> " I will definitely be growing these next year as I saved seeds"

Heck, no need to replant if you just over-winter it. Peppers aren't annuals.

• rockymountainkat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These peppers were from the local market, so I am starting some seeds now and hope to grow a big, strong plant to feed my face with red habs forever! This year will be my first year at trying to over-winter peppers, it seems pretty easy, so I hope all goes well for me. I typically grow serranos (my favorite for flavor and level of heat when raw; plus they dry well as a ristra for me here in Colorado), pasilla bajio, poblano, some sweet bell varieties and jalapenos. I am trying to grow ghost chiles but I have been having a hard time, I will try from seed again soon to get a strong plant. I grow tomatoes as well (some heirloom and some hybrids), or rather they grow for me really well with hardly any work :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Some Red Habs, most likely Caribbean Red, for comparison....

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Hey Josh.....how does the heat and flavor of those compare to a red savina? I would assume it would be pretty close. If not, what would it take to pry some of those seeds away from you?

Tim

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

These were larger than the Savinas that I tried. The flavor was pretty close,
    and the heat about the same. I would use them interchangeably in preparations or dishes.
    E-mail me...I might have a dried pod that I can crack for seed.

Josh

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022