Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for some insight

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 16:06

I am just now starting to get some tiny peppers ( I have 4 ghost pepper, 1 naga viper, and 2 yellow habaneros)They are all potted because I am moving in two weeks so I did not put them in the ground. I am confident that I will see some ripe peppers by the time we get our 1st frost (usually around the midle of October). What I'm wondering is how well they might do indoors under a grow light or in a south or west facing window. has anyone ever kept their hot pepper plants going indoors all winther and then move them back out the following spring?

thanx,
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for some insight

Welcome to the Forum.

The topic has been covered many times before.

See link below for search results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering

o

Ottawapepper-
Thank you for the help. I see one problem is the bugs (aphids and such)I am an avid palm grower and I just treated them with systemic granuals because they can have insect problems in sunny indoor locations. I may do the same with the pepper plants. I do have a question. I read about "hardening them off". can you tell me exactly what that means?

thanx,
Andy

o

Andy,

If you ever plan on eating the peppers from the plants in question, you might want to rethink treating them with systemic granules. Insecticidal soap would be okay though.

o

Ditto maple_grove.

Google info on hardening off below. Same for new starts and overwintered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your friend Google

o

In addition to the overwintering and hardening off info, just thought I'd mention that for getting fruit indoors, you need lots of light and a way to achieve pollination. Most folks here overwinter peppers just to keep them alive and get a head start next year. Using floros very close, you can get flowering / fruiting, but, it'll be slow and lower production than using an HID light or outdoors. Sunlight through modern windows will keep the plant alive, and stretching like crazy for more light, but, fruiting will be pretty sparse. Light is only half the battle indoors. Once you have flowers, you need to pollinate them. Shake the plants, fan blowing on them, paintbrush, q-tip...all methods I've heard mentioned here.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here