Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

photo update

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

it's been a little while, so I figured it was time for a photo update.

here's my sad brain strain. he only has one pod on him, no flowers, no buds. lots of curled leaves. he looks pretty leaf-bare right now, he was the one that got annihilated by the hornworm a few weeks ago. as of now he is not a candidate for overwintering.

here's my other brain strain. he's the one I almost threw away after my buddy tried to repot him for me and ripped off most the root ball and the plant was stagnant for a month. he is now bigger than the other one, and unlike the ones above, actually has pods, but no new flowers. I do see buds forming though, so there's hope. he is a candidate for overwintering, but not a strong candidate.

here's ghost #1. they're healthy, there's a ton of pods, and very few curled leaves. not a candidate for overwintering though because there's 2 plants in one pot, very close together, and I won't be doing that next year.

ghost #2. he's got a lot of pods, but also has a lot of curled leaves, as pictured. this is the one that lost half his branches and leaves when he got crushed in the move. I have lots of bhut seeds, so I don't think I'll overwinter him either, for the same reasons as above.

this is my habanero, and I am very happy with him. he has a ton of pods, and a ton of healthy growth, no curled leaves. he also has a ton of whiteflies though, I need to spray again this weekend. he is a candidate for overwintering.

my serrano. he's small, but healthy. he stopped producing for a while, but now has lots of flowers, and has already set a few pods again. not my favorite pepper variety though, so he probably won't be overwintered.

this is my tabasco. I love this lil guy. he was stunted as a baby, and produces peppers well undersized for what I'd expect from a tabasco, but they're really tasty, and hotter than I'd expect a tabasco to be, so I like him. I might not overwinter him though, I have lots of seeds from him and if I can grow the same thing without the stunting, I'd be thrilled. my wife loves him because he's "pretty". I've gotten at least 100 ripe pods from him so far.

this thai pepper confuses me. one of the plants in the pot is ultra healthy, and produces lots of pods. the other one (I think it's a different variety) is doing terrible. zero pods, zero flowers. but it's the variety I like substantially less than the other, so I don't really care. not a candidate for overwintering.

another thai. this one was doing terrible before. they were losing leaves like crazy, had zero buds, zero flowers. so I cut off all the remaining pods and hit it with a ton of nitrogen, and now it's doing great.

this thai has the same story as above. he was doing terrible after being almost fully uprooted by a heavy storm, and a month later had fully stopped producing new pods. so I did the same as above cutting off all the pods and hitting it with a ton of nitrogen to focus on plant growth, and now he's doing great. this one I might overwinter because I like him a lot. he went from one of the smallest, to now the tallest one in the garden.

you may have noticed a lack of color in the pods. I just recently picked all the ripe peppers and turned them into hot sauce before taking pics. except for the ghosts that is, no color from them yet.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional