Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolstack

peat moss

toolstack
9 years ago

Hi folks
I was wondering what issues that arise from using peat moss? I know I've been told several times that peat pellets and peat containers are not good, and that they cause problems but I was wondering what problems.
I have a bunch of both is the reason I'm asking I hate to throw them away, but if they cause disease or something like that I will.
I hope everyone had a great weekend
Thanks
Randal

Comments (5)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

They usually result in very erratic moisture levels. They either dry out too fast or hold too much moisture, both of which cause a lot of problems for peppers. Some people have good luck with them, but most try to stay away from pure pete when growing peppers.
    I suggest you toss them for better pepper growing medium but if you really want to try to start some peppers in the pellets, then go ahead, but just have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out for you. I definitely would not use pure pete moss in containers. You would need to augment it with a lot of perlite/and or pine bark or other ingredients to ensure it is quick draining.
    Bruce

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I've stayed out of the "peat" discussion to this point but as long as it's opened up in a fresh thread I'll chime in.

I've used the Jiffy Peat Pellet Seed Starting Tray for years, quite a few years. When the coverr remain on top and a heating pad below I never experienced erratic moisture levels.

I've used 3" peat pots from various manufacturers for years, quite a few years, transferring the peat pellets with the netting torn off into the pot filled with growing media after the seedlings proudly display their first set of true leaves. I did experience a couple of cases of damping off early on but after switching to watering with a very mild Chamomile Tea mixture never experienced it again. I do check my plants daily and never lost a plant to excessively dry or wet medium.

If using plastic cups with non-peat soil media superior, count me in! Not having to check my plants for X periods of time, give me hint here, because they hold the correct moisture level I've been missing out!

Yes, the last paragraph intentionally facetious. Let the rebuttals fly!

NECM
    OP, I'll send ya 10 bucks to forward everything ya got rather than throw it out.

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:06

• seysonn
    9 years ago

When mixed with medium with high drainage/less moisture retention, peat moss can be beneficial. It is mixed with 5-1-1 mix at a rate of 1/7th. Or it might be a good amendment for sandy soil. Too much of it can be problem as Bruce explained it well.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I tried the peat pellets under dome alongside the more traditional methods. Germination was 50% on a batch of seeds that germinated 92% in paper. The sprouts grew less vigorously than their counterparts, and out of around 24 seeds I got either 2 or 3 viable seedlings.

That experiment was enough for me.

Dennis

• toolstack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have used them in the past but did have much luck with them.
    @ northeast chili man I think my woman wants them for her
    gardening but I'll check.
    Thanks
    Randal

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz