Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richiebaker1245

Beat the British Weather!

richiebaker1245
11 years ago

Hi all,

given up on trying to keep my plants warm & dry, so bought a poor mans greenhouse and added some new plants! British summer has been very poor, this walk in greenhouse only cost me 30 pounds from Aldi - wished I'd bought it weeks ago. Hopefully have some progress now.

Comments (30)

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the living room! :-)

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New baby habanero...

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jalapeno, that wasn't doing well, bit more healthy...

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Spanish pepper" with no name, bought from Wilkinsons (same as walmart), nearly dead when I bought for 1 pound. cut off the droopy leaves & re-potted. Signs of life now...

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cayenne - long slim red. Not changed much, but will up-date y'all! :-)

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered a dorset naga off tinternet. a couple of good stems were broken off in transit. :-( Decided to cut off big leaves & flowers, dip stems in rooting gel, re-pot and cover & hopefully get a couple of clones... Will keep you up-dated.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stunning plant _ Numex Twighlight. Lots of beautiful colours, and quite hot too!

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Called Sparkler, the supplier told me it was an accidental cross in the poly tunnel. Will end up similar to the twighlight, but with many more, smaller pods.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cheyenne, first pod turning orange. Yum yum! ;-)

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My older Hab, just starting to get flowers.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Naga morich looking healthier now the super hots are warming up and drying out.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't tell the others, but this is my baby! Bhut Jolokia - growing a bit now, and a few flowers! Just hope my greenhouse idea isn't too late for fruit.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chocolate Bhut, I'm told it will have a nice, mellow sweet chocolate taste? NOT! Looking greener now though.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Super hots hall of fame.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sweet pepper, popeii I think.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another shot of Pompeii.. Had to take these at night, think my battery went in camera?

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Apache, great for british weather!

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dorset Naga, couple of good stems broke off, but hopefully cloned!

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my middlefinger to the British summer, hope all turns red! Will keep you all updated, but looking better! Good luck all!

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Hey don't complain. We've had 100+ since around the 3rd week in June and 110+ for the last week and in a severe drought to boot (100-102 at 9 pm this whole week). It's bad enough trying to keep garden plants alive, but trees are dying at an alarming rate. It's so sad to drive down the road and look at all the dead and dying trees and know there's not a single thing you can do... I'm watering constantly and things are still dying. I was hoping to get them through to cooler weather and then they'd start producing, but right now I don't think they are going to survive to cooler weather. Even worse, having to go out in this heat to water... At least all my superhots are in the sunroom and looking good. Mother nature can be a real b!
    I'd take some pics of my peppers but it's too depressing, and, I just don't want to go outside yet. I would kill for England's weather... it's all relative. :-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

HI:
    You might want to check your: "Cheyenne, first pod turning orange. Yum yum! ;-)". I am not so sure that is a Cayenne if that is what you are thinking it is. First, the ridges on the pods isn't characteristic of Cayenne and then the fact that it is going to "Orange" gives me pause too. Mine have always gone green to red with no orange phase.
    Bruce
    PS: Almost looks like a Pepperoncini to me.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Bruce, It's a "cheyenne", not cayenne. Sold all over the UK, because they're easy to grow, and don't need it really hot. Thanks for the input though. Rich.

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey kuvaszlvr, that's really sad, I feel for you. At least I can protect my plants from the rain & warm them up a bit. I don't suppose u can do much about the heat. We all moan about the British weather, but we have a beautiful, green country. I'll stop moaning about our weather after your post.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Hey richiebaker. I shouldn't complain, this area wasn't called the dust bowl for nothing. ;-) Sadly, the dust bowl days were nothing compared to the heat and drought that occurred here in the past. A few years ago it rained all summer with high heat, I had to mow every 3 days...I haven't mowed for over a month this year... so it's not all bad. ;-)

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

At least that's a plus - no mowing, and superhots are looking good! It's not all bad... ;-)

Rich.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Richiebaker: I thought it was just a mistype or one of those translation from real English to Americanized English. Another variety of pepper I had never heard of. Two years ago, if someone had asked, I would have said there are less than 25 varieties of hot peppers.
    Hmmmm,
    Bruce

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha ha! Glad I'm educating you Bruce! Not heard of it myself 'till I bought it. Quick google search and it's as available as apache here. Thanks though Bruce, you crop up on nearly every post - a wealth of info on pain, sweat & burning bum holes! Why do we do it? That's the question I can't answer to my Missus... ;-)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Nice! And thank you for the many pics. I don't have a greenhouse because I don't need one. But you are making me start to re-think that equation. Great collection, too!

Sorry about the football result.

"Let me tell you. It's always something!" - Roseanne Rosanadana.

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Richie, beautiful greenhouse mate! Way to give the finger (or two) to British weather.
    Bruce, I agree. 4-5 years ago I thought there were like 20 peppers. Then one day I drove by Cross Country Nurseries in NJ and the chile phenomenon claimed another victim. I sure do love it.
    Richie, there are some good articles about the psychology of chile heads (Google it).

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the thumbs up guys n gals. Just wished I'd bought the greenhouse months ago, I would be much further ahead. This is my first year of growing chillies properly, done bells, apache and sweet before, but just plonked them in a tub and left them. These superhots are addictive, and now every time I go a garden centre and see a chilli variety I haven't got, I've gotta buy it.

Thanks to everyone, I love this site. One big happy family of nutters, who struggle to grow the hottest plants on the planet, and then maybe eat one sliver of a pod off one! Respect!

Sponsored