Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

I don't know what I have (with a few exceptions)!

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Burpee seed - forget it for tomatoes, mislabeled, but I've got some things that were in a serrano packet that aren't serranos. 2 plants were purple serranos, a couple were serranos or maybe jalapenos, but I've got some that I can't ID at all! Any guesses? I'll have to taste-test.

Comments (14)

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These were from a packet labeled Hot Lemon

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Hinkelhatz from saved (but not isolated) seed look right

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are not jalapenos - but I do have at least 4 plants that are (Early jalapeno and Jalapeno Gigante which really are). Are these cayenne? Too long, but they are skinny.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alma Paprika from Bill look right (do I have to wait until they turn red?)

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this what Tequila Sunrise (also from Bill) are supposed to look like - start upright and then flop over?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Then Burpee stuff again - I can tell the sweet bananas, but are these Cornu di Toro (I don't know why they put them in the same packet)?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And finally, the seeds I saved from those grocery store mini sweets are NOT mini - I hope they're sweet. Some of them look like sweet bananas (yellow) but others are maybe Numex type? Again, I need to taste-test. The ones I thought started out looking like bhuts have grown quite a bit, so not bhut-ish any more.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Well, I've learned that Burpee's ain't much better than PJ's!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've grown plants from these same packs of serrano and jalapeno before, I don't know how the purple serrano and the unidentified ones got in there this year and not the past 2 years (though last year I didn't have enough time for things to ripen, I planted the Hot Lemon last year too but couldn't ID it since frost came when still small).

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket!

I hope the Dollar store seeds don't give me the same problem - bought lots of habs, some Hungarian Wax and other veggies.

Come to think of it, my Early Prolific yellow squash from Burpee (new packet) was neither this year, though it is a yellow straightneck, but I've got both light green and dark green zukes from the zucchini packet (early variety, I think it was called Sure Thing or something like that).

I'm thinking of trying the lunchbox peppers from Johnny's next year since the grocery store minisweets didn't come true. I buy almost everything else from Fedco.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Come to think of it, my Early Prolific yellow squash from Burpee (new packet) was neither this year, though it is a yellow straightneck, but I've got both light green and dark green zukes from the zucchini packet (early variety, I think it was called Sure Thing or something like that).

And this is a vote of confidence?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Definitely not - I knew they mislabeled tomatoes, stopped buying the seed (had some SuperSweet 100 left for this year plus Best Boy or whatever is really is that wasn't bad last year, gave DD some false Independence Day for her science fair and threw the seedlings in the house garden).

Again, mostly using up the pepper seed that I hadn't had a problem with before - I mean, serrano and jalapeno, who cares what exact cultivar it is? Aji Limon sounded interesting last year so I bought a packet.

And I've never had any complaints about their squash or cukes, again a zucchini is a zucchini to most customers at market, they don't care if it's light green or dark green. I can't say Early Prolific is mislabeled b/c everything's late and not productive this year - even my Fedco cukes.

But I won't buy Burpee seeds for anything from now on.

Does anybody have any guesses on the unknown peppers in pix?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Alma paprika changes considerably when ripe. They will ripen on the counter once the change starts on the plant, but don't seem to get that ripe taste.

Avoid Burpee's. Get in the seed swap.

Dennis

• User
    9 years ago

The Alma and Tequila Sunrise look right to me.

I'd wait until the Alma's turn red... better flavour.

Here's a shot of a Tequila Sunrise I'm growing this year for reference.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bill, I figured those were right, I was trying to be careful not to mix seedlings up, planted in order of SHU, put labels on the beds. I knew Alma was round but never got ripe last year, and if I planted Tequila (I don't remember) then it didn't do anything with all the rain we got in June so I didn't know the growth habit. Those and the Hinkelhatz (which could have been a cross, saved seed, but look right) are about the only things I'm sure of! Though I can tell a Sweet Banana, and some of my jalapenos and serranos are really jalapenos and serranos.

Does anybody have any idea as to the others? Does Cornu di Toro look right? Aji Limon doesn't. And the fruit on the grocery store mini peppers looks nothing like the ones I collected them from, must have reverted, any guesses?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH