Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter91290

please help! plants are dropping leaves and dying

peter91290
10 years ago

I am currently growing moruga scorpion peppers as well as butch T peppers and they looked great until today. The lower leaves are turnjng yellow and falling off. The leaves feel very thin and wilted. Also every leaf on the plant has 2 or 3 brown or black burn-like spots. This is also accompanied by some leaves curling upward. My plants are growing in a greenhouse where the humidity is consistently 80% but the temperature swings from 100 during the day to 60 during night. I have not watered them in 2 days in fearr of making condition worse. I have also removed the most severely infected plant. Please help

This post was edited by peter91290 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 17:27

Comments (9)

• peter91290
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so, it gets up to 100 in the day, and you haven't watered them in 2 days? I think we may have found at least part of the problem.

what zone are you?

when it stays up in the 90's here in FL I need to water mine every day or they cook. especially the big leaf ones like the 7pot (a close cousin of your moruga and butch t).

do you have whiteflies?

• peter91290
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had them on a timer for 20 mins of water each day. But took water out when this problem started occurring in fear that it was breeding fungus with the high heat and high humidity.

Would lack of water cause that leaf rot?

I am in Southern NY but I grow them in a greenhouse.

I have never seen white flies in the greenhouse or on the plants.

Another picture

• peter91290
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had them on a timer for 20 mins of water each day. But took water out when this problem started occurring in fear that it was breeding fungus with the high heat and high humidity.

Would lack of water cause that leaf rot?

I am in Southern NY but I grow them in a greenhouse.

I have never seen white flies in the greenhouse or on the plants.

Another picture

{{!gwi}}

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

The leaf in the foreground of that last picture has curled edges - some caterpillars do that for housing.

Have you applied calcium like epsom salts? Any other ferts?

I wouldn't worry much about the dropped lower leaves - almost all of mine do that when the upper leaves shade out the lower.

• alynne68
    10 years ago

My peppers are in pots on a balcony in DC. For the last two days have also had yellowing and leaf drop. Don't know, bet maybe the waning sunshine with fall approaching?

• peter91290
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have fertilized with earthworm castings as well as a miracle grow for tomatoes. Haven't tried any epsom salts but i will try it. Do I just dilute some in water and spray on plants?

I'm less worried about the yellowing because the leaf spots are running rampant. Could this be due to something like Blight?

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

My Aji Limons started to get yellow leaves and started to drop them a couple of weeks back as well. I had them in a greenhouse. We had been experiencing some darn cool nights, yes the greenhouse helped but???

So, once we got rid of the cool nights, I brought them out of the greenhouse to expose them to more direct sun, and juiced them with some fertilizer. Seems to have helped. No other variety was reacting like they were, personally I think the fertilizer fixed the problem.

• peter91290
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I will try to expose them to more direct sun by bringing them out. The nights here have really fluctuated being in the 50s some nights. The lowest recorded temperature in my greenhouse was 55 but it has warmed up a bit since then. As of today after fertilizing and lowering the humidity dramatically the last week , it seems the plants are stable. Still have some curling on the leaves a well as wrinkling but no new spots or new dropped leaves.

Sponsored