Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Somethings eating my jalapeno's

Posted by kathleen1 zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 17:35

I have 3 jalapeno plants in a pot on my deck. It sits on a 3 foot high shelf. I check my plants daily. This morning noticed olive green droppings about the size of peppercorns in piles around the top of the plant and on the shelf around the bottom. Further checking noticed peppers eaten almost completely. What in the world could this be??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Somethings eating my jalapeno's

Inspect closely for a caterpillar type creature

o

Sounds like Tomato Hornworm.
Look close they blend in really well.
Nasty suckers can eat a plant down to nothing fast.
Sometimes when it's quiet you can actually hear them crunching away at your plants.
I've seen them sitting with their heads tucked under(body looks like a question mark) on a stem when they are digesting or sleeping...
Hard to see even if your looking right at them sometimes.
If you have 1 there are more around I'm sure.
Spray plant with Caterpillar Killer(safer Brand make it among other Co.)It's a bacteria that kills only caterpillars,nothing else.Good stuff.
Grasshoppers/Locusts do the same damage but their droppings usually aren't as you describe...

o

Just re read your post.
Peppercorn size droppings are more like a mouse/rodent.

o

Found the "GREEN MONSTER"!!!!! Had this brilliant idea to move the plant to another location that would not be easy to get to. Shook some SEVIN around hoping to catch foot prints. Put it close to a tomato plant on the deck floor. The next morning the pepper looked ok but the tomatoe plant had signs of being eatten. Therer it was on the tomato plant, big thick and green. I killed it (Sorry "ACTIVIST") and looked for others but did not find. That night befoe I went to bed I went out to check. The droppings were on the deck below the pepper plant. I looked real good and there it was. The GREEN MONSTER. Case solved!!
One side note: How did they get on the deck?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here