Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

My first mouthful of peter. ... OMG! I may be gay!

DMForcier
10 years ago

I brought three (four?) peter plants to maturity this year. Three are like the naughty pictures you see on the web - true little dickheads. The fourth is a similar though much larger bush and the peps really aren't obscene: no glans. They also taste different.

The "true" Peter pepper has a nice floral scent and flavor. The less obscene one - I'm going to call the variety St. Peter - has an amazing scent of tea roses: that spicy, musky sweetness that you will recognize instantly once you're familiar with it. If you're a gin drinker, Hendrick's Gin which is infused with rose petals comes close to the freshness, though not as spicy.

This is my first year with peters. Is anyone familiar with eating them? Since my true peters aren't as prolific (St. Peter has produced half a peck already) it's hard to compare.

Dennis

Comments (12)

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Hahahahaha never grown them. Funny tho!!

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Never tried them, but many say they aren't worth
    growing for eating.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I've heard they're fairly hot....but I prefer the Hendrick's ;-)

Josh

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

.....sooooooo many things that could be said

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

.....sooooooo many things that could be said

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

You know, a lot of people buy Peter peppers from me and several rave that they are better than Jalapenos, mostly because they have a consistent heat. I haven't tried one yet (haha, oh, I am so good, I abstained from being dirty). You know the weird thing is, I've bought seeds from 3 different vendors, each one has produced different looking peppers. This year my plant has produced long skinny red fruit. Funny, I have Yellow and Orange both and those look correct.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"correct" ? I will refrain from asking your point of reference...

Do put one in your mouth. At the moment these are one of my top three favorite peppers. (It is okay to swallow.)

One thing about these is that they have *very* few seeds - maybe a dozen in a 2.5" (WASP-size) pod. I'd like to do like Bill with his 7 Pot Jonah cross and send out some seeds to see whether this variety is stable, but I'm not sure how many I can support. I will chop a bunch of these for a salsa base, so we can see how many seeds I will be able to collect...

Dennis

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

I love this topic! The title is great!
    The peter peppers to me taste quite a lot like a thick cayenne. Hot but not that much flavor. Of course the draw is the shape. The yellow ones have never been as "correct" in any batch I've grown out, so I just grow the red ones now. And the ones I'm growing this year are turning out "correct". So I'd say that "incorrect" one you are growing is a crossed plant, but it you like it, save seeds or even dig up the plant and keep it. And I guess you get to name it whatever you want. with the pepper that turned out crossed that we grew at the greenhouse, it was great the first year, but in subsequent years from the saved seed, just wasn't the same. So that's why I suggested digging the plant just to be safe.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Haha, Dennis (you are so nasty!), "correct"? we'll say in shape, not size. I wish now I hadn't thrown my red one away, but the pods were about 2-3" long and about 1/4-1/3" in diameter. My Yellow and orange ones are about as long but about 3x as thick. Last year my yellows were worse than my recent red ones, but this year they look like the Orange. The orange is really pretty, deep deep orange, almost red. I guess I'll have to try one, but the only plant I have left is my orange one.
    Pam

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

ok, here's a photo of my orange peter. Wow, very sweet, hot, but not that hot, maybe Poblano heat, but really good flavor. Only problem, very thin flesh, but that's ok.
    Pam

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Dennis,

You are a riot! I'm still wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes as I type this!

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Besides being delicious, St. Peters have thicker flesh that their ... phallic .. cousins.

Here on the left are two of the more embarrassing variety with a stealth peter on the right. As you can see the peter ripens angry red; St. Peter more orange (though this one is not quite ripe yet).

Sponsored