Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppermeister1

What;s your LEAST favorite pepper?

peppermeister1
11 years ago

A lot of folks on here have grown a ton of chile varieties. We often talk about our favorites to grow and/or cook with, but it's OK to say you don't love all of your peps.

What about those that we have decided never to grow again? For whatever reason, sometimes they taste bad, don't germinate, grow poorly... etc.

This could be good info for those planning next year's garden.

For me it's the Lombardo pepper. It's a long skinny italian pepper. It's got very little flavor, the pods get curly and the branches are viney and stretch all over my other peps. It's not hot or sweet. Of course, it produces a ton of pods.

I grew the Sigaretto di Bergamo right next to this (which is also a thin italian frying pepper) and I prefer it much more than the Lombardo.

What say you?

Comments (39)

• Calcat36
    11 years ago

Believe it or not, bell peppers! I have NEVER had success with them. This year cajun bell seems to be ok, but habaneros were the gateway drug, I mean pepper, to the super hots and any other sweet pepper which I do well with!
    Go figure.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Least favorite....

Bulgarian Carrot has to be up there! Thick skins, loaded with seeds, and nothing to speak of in the flavor dept.

Bell peppers - I don't like to grow them, they never seem to do well for me. But, I like them for eating fresh.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Kung Pao too many seeds very small fruit for as many seeds it has, also grows viney. Ristra cayenne hybrid not the best tasting pepper also not enough heat.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Sweet Red Cherry pepper.

The flavor is just okay, the plants I've had were all sickly and weak, and they were so packed full of seeds that there was virtually no room for pepper flesh.

Just a waste of space, in my experience.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I hate to say it, but after my first year it's got to be the NuMex Twilight. It's a beautiful plant, and the flavor is good as well. The problem is the seed to pod ratio. The pods are small and have seeds from the tip to the stem. If the pod was bigger, I'd love it.

Tim

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I think NuMex Twilight is marketed as an ornamental anyway. But, yes, if a pod is overstuffed with seeds, that's a definite strike against it, IMO.

• Boost313
    11 years ago

@Calcat36 I too have swore off bell peppers. I have never had any luck growing them. Been trying for 3 years. An after this year jalapeno's are fixing to find their way on that list. Lol

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

I have to go with bells, but only greens. I'll use then in my spaghetti sauce or meatloaf now and then, but I absolutely hate them raw or on pizza.

I won't grow them; instead, I grow pasilla and poblanos. I do, however, grow other colored bells and have pretty good success with them. They do take quite awhile to fully ripen though. Loving em in stir fry lately. I have quite a few that are ripe that I plan to make a pasta sauce with here in the next couple days.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

For growing, bells. My family has been killing them for years and the genes have bred true.

For cooking with what I've got, the cowhorns. Not much flavor, lots of seeds. And frankly, the cayenne has such a heavy bark .. er.. skin in relation to the innards that it's hard to use it fresh.

But the cowhorn was my first pepper (last survivor of five cowhorns) and the cayenne is so tough and full of character that I could never get rid of either one.

• Darylltx
    11 years ago

I don't like my sweet banana. leaves are very sensitive to pests and over/under watering. The hot sun really seems to wilt the plant easily. And the fruits are tasteless.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

OK, what is the big deal about seeds in peppers? Why is that such a turn off to some of you.

I am not challenging anyone, just wondering what about seeds is such a negative? When I use a pepper in a dish or cut them up and can them or grind them for powder, I don't bother removing the seeds. Is there a reason that I should?
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

If the seeds don't bother you, don't worry about it. They get stuck in my teeth because they don't soften with cooking - something I find annoying.

• Djole
    11 years ago

I second all kinds of cherry peppers. I've tried Cilliegia Piccante this year - sickly plants, peppers with little flesh and lots of seeds etc.

• richiebaker1245
    11 years ago

First year of trying cayenne, hardly any pods, sickly looking plant, and they took absolutely ages to turn red. Also the jalape�o was exactly the same with a few tiny, marble like pods on. Don't know whether this is justified though, because they were both from the same nursery, and didn't look too good to begin with.

• romy6
    11 years ago

Bell peppers . Highly nonproductive and no heat. I like my peppers hot!!!!

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

"First year of trying cayenne, hardly any pods, sickly looking plant, and they took absolutely ages to turn red. Also the jalape�o was exactly the same with a few tiny, marble like pods on. Don't know whether this is justified though, because they were both from the same nursery, and didn't look too good to begin with."

Yup, I will NEVER grow cayenne again!!! ;)

• richiebaker1245
    11 years ago

Here here master gardener.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Bells peppers....yuck.
    And pretty much any Habanero that tastes like a Habanero, trashy, acrid, chemical perfume.

No fan of Jalapenos, either.

Josh

• jp10550
    11 years ago

For sure the Cherry peppers

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Bell peppers. They actually make me vomit, so...

• homefry319
    11 years ago

any wax pepper

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

"Here here master gardener."

lol ;)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

[ahem]

>"Hear, hear master gardener."

FIFY

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

I have noticed bell peppers require a lot of trellising. They taste good though! :)

11 years ago

Romy6: I find lots of peppers have their place in cooking--- heat or no heat. COLORED bells are great tasting--greens suck imho. Anaheims, New Mexican, Poblanos, and Pasillas are just a few that have have little heat, but great flavor. If i need heat (which i almost always DO), I have plenty of varieties that'll give me that. You're right though--- bells are poor producers.

TheMasterGardener1: 2 words -- tomato cages.

Kevin

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

This is my first year growing the cayenne type of pepper, so I have no opinion on those yet, but I agree with Tsheets on the Bulgarian Carrot - tough skin, not enough flavor, and seedy. I also agree with everyone on the bell peppers. This might be too much information, but it's the only kind of pepper that makes my burp! Luckily for me, there are plenty of other sweet peppers that are earlier and more productive than bells.

Bonnie

• reyna1
    11 years ago

This year was the first year trying to grow bell peppers. They suck. The plants didn't produce, and what little produced was stunted.

My favorite was a two year old chiletepin that produced pods all year long!!
    I've planted more chiletepin.

This weekend I went to a garage sale and found that the guy had tear drop shaped tenpins that he brought from Mexico. He had three gorgeous plants that were heavy producers. Naturally I had to get a handful with his permission! So next year I'll be growing a new tepin from Mexico and see how they do for me. His plant was about three feet high by two to three feet wide and was absolutely loaded!

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

"TheMasterGardener1: 2 words -- tomato cages."

Yes, that is a form of trellising. :)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

What? I have no idea how that posted 3 times?

I just waned to say that!?

I just got some tomato cages and they work great!

• peppermeister1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I guess I'll just skip bulgarian carrot next year. As for the Bells, the only variety I grew this year was mini chocolate bell, which grows and ripens quickly and tastes pretty good. I ended up giving many away and stuffing the rest.

I also find very little use for most cayennes since they're not great to cook with (fresh) and I have better options for chile powder.

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Same thing Peppermeister1. I do like cayenne for a wing sauce though! :)

• peppermeister1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TMG: I must agree there. As a wing enthusiast (I once rented a van, packed it with my buddies, and headed up to buffalo for a wing weekend!), I have to say for official Buffalo Wings, you need Frank's. That being said, I love all other types of wings as well, except breaded/boneless (both not acceptable).

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

...another vote for the (imo) extremely over-rated Bulgarian Carrot.

The flesh isn't thick enough to mask the texture of the corking that happens with many I've grown and the flavors behind the heat are done way better by many other types of peppers.

It's a neat looking little plant, though.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

aawwww man, I like Cayennes! I had to take a break from them because I have so freaking many dried already. But, I will grow them again once the backlog clears a bit. :-)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Here is one of my cayenne. :) They are productive, but I think I would rather fill the space with super hots from now on :)

{{gwi:46010}}

11 years ago

I say one could grow 1 cayenne plant every 2 years and have enough powder, especially if you grow other varieties to dry.

Anybody that wants to grow a good all-around chile(heat and EXCELLENT flavor) for drying should give chile de arboles a try. Very prolific and you can air dry them. You'll want to use a cage though for trellising. Another must for drying is guajillos. These two are extremely versatile.

Kevin

• User
    11 years ago

My LEAST favorite pepper, any one that doesn't germinate. Every pepper has at least one redeeming quality IMHO ;-)

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Kevin - I am growing guajillos this year for the first time. I will have to add chili de arbol to the 'varieties to try in the future' list. Thanks for the tip.

• jcav8ter
    11 years ago

Bolivian Rainbow

I should qualify that. It's a very pretty plant so if you are into that, it's great. On the eating side, nothing special heat or taste wise. Fruits are small, very little flesh, and full of seeds.

John

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus