Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of hot pepper is this?

Posted by Willy_Chile Maryland (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 18:41

I got some Ghost Pepper seeds from Pepper Joe, and out of three plants one turned out to be some other type of pepper. To me, it looks like a habanero of some sort (which would be fine, I like them). But what type? Do I need to wait until the color cones in to narrow it down?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of hot pepper is this?

Looks like a chocolate

o

Could be chocolate or that could be sun burn on the pepper, you won't know for sure until they ripen, but it's a habanero type pepper.

o

It could be a Hab? It's definitely not a Ghost.

I think habjolokia is right regarding a bit of sun burn.The purplish colour is fairly common.

Here's a shot of a Scarlet Lantern pod exhibiting the same purplish burn. The pod to the right is dark purple on the sun facing side. They will eventually turn their natural ripe colour once the mature. No long term damage done.

o

It looks like it could be a hab or a scotch bonnet? That purple is definitely sunburn.

o

The pods look like hab but the leaves ?

o

Thanks everyone. I did wonder whether the sun could be causing those purple marks. Now I know. This is my first year growing a garden and its been fun to learn all this kind of stuff. Also, I was actually bummed because the Habanero peppers I did plant never really took off, eventually I just pulled them. Now I have one plant by happy accident I guess. Actually I'm starting to think another of the supposed ghost pepper plants is also something else. The peppers have the right shape but they are smooth skinned and yellow. The one plant (out of three) that DOES look like a ghost pepper plant has wrinkly peppers like they're supposed to look. Looks like there is some mix and match going on at Pepper Joe's.

Its all good though.

o

Well it's definitely C. chinense with multiple fruit per node.

o

Here is what the other "ghost pepper" plant is producing...

o

Looks exactly like my Hungarian Hot Wax.

o

Neither looks to be a Ghost Pepper unfortunately. Joe burns another customer....

The Hab peppers could be Caribbean Red Hab's, which are decent for salsa.

Josh

o

The habs are turning orange now...one mystery solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here