Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gro2can

new mexico 6 chili

gro2can
9 years ago

does anyone know about this plant. i have about 6 growing do they turn red when ripe. i looked on the package and it does not say anything. i would like to get some seeds but it may not ripen within the growing season. i would take one of the plants inside if i have to but it would have to ripen pretty quickly. the biggest pepper is about 4" and bright green. are these hot or mild like bells. thx aki

Comments (16)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Never heard of the New Mexico 6. I've heard of the 6-4L. It's a pretty popular Anaheim with very mild heat. They're best picked green and roasted but you should have plenty of time for a red pod to save seeds. When did you plant them? Ypu can probably pick the green ones when they're about 6-8" long.

Kevin

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

planted about first week in june. weather is a concern because the forcast is for 11 and 12 to 15celsius for this comig week lows. the day highs are still mid 20s celsius. frost could come pretty early in sept. not a lot of time for peppers to grow to a mature size and then turn red. hope you are right about the timeline.

9 years ago

Might be tight. Most Anaheims need about 70-80 days for maturity, but that's green. They, along with Japs are always the 1st to harvest for me. One good thing is that they turn color relatively quickly after full size. Are they in pots or ground?

Kevin

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pots. lots of buds but very few if any full size. supposed to have high day temps this week so will get some maturing hopefully. do have 2 hungarian almost all red but they were not from seed. high today 23c forcast low 9c got to cover. thx aki

9 years ago

Leave 1 plant just for seed saving if you want to start harvesting green ones and once you start seeing the ones you want to save turning color, you can go back and harvest mature green pods off that plant. Also, if it starts to get too chilly at night, Kevin

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

great idea. i will bring a plant indoors if necessary. thx. aki

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no hint of red yet but size seems to be mature on a few peppers. temp going down next week lots of cloud and rain and cold not a recipe for turning red. made a cold frame last week hope it will provide enuf warmth. aki

9 years ago

Awesome! Pick those puppies and roast 'em!

Another idea--- while harvesting, leave one or 2 mature ones(the best looking) and hopefully they turn before frost. One pod will produce enough seed for plenty of next year's plants.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 21:53

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

got mature peppers but not turning red. got an aphid problem also so cant put them inside will peppers turn red like tomatoes after being picked and put in sunlight. low temps at nite 7-14 celsius with low 20s day. i guess its next year better luck. aki

9 years ago

Well, you got some mature ones so they might actually start to turn color. If one does, the seeds "should" still be viable even with a slight tint of color. Cool temps will inhibit growth but the mature ones should continue to ripen.

As far as bringing them inside with aphids, easily remedied. Blasts of water every 3 days until you get rid of them. Insecticidal soap or neem oil... same thing. Just make sure you rinse off the soap a few hours later.

Ripen like maters? No. There are many varieties that will continue to change color after being harvested, but it's not the same process(ethylene) as maters. Rotting usually takes hold before fully "ripening."

Kevin

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks kevin great help. will keep covering until frost. aki

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2 peppers with a touch of red very faint if i pick will they keep on turning red or do they have to stay on the plant. thx aki

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Once they start turning they will continue after you pick them. The seeds are viable now.

Dennis

9 years ago

Agree with Dennis, but...

If all you're doing is trying to save seed, you'll want to open up and start drying immediately after picking. Don't wait for more color change by setting them on the counter.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

You mean ... open up the pod and throw away the flesh?

HERESY!

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thx for help. been a great sept no frost. expecting frost next week. will let them ripen til then and then get seeds. thx .

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner