Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

Brown Sugar.....

peppernovice
11 years ago

I made some powder last night. It contained my Datil cross, sweet peppers(pero farms from Wal Mart I grew this year), and garlic. I smoked these with hickory and mesquite. I then dried it last night and today. I ground them when I got home. It has heat, but no sweet. I toyed with the idea of adding a little brown sugar to the mix and using it as a pork/chicken rub. Has anyone tried this? How did it turn out? Thanks guys.

Tim

Comments (11)

• homefry319
    11 years ago

I use brown sugar in my rubs all the time especially when I smoke pork butts

my main rub is brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, paprika, chili powder, a bit of cayenne powder, white pepper, and celtic sea salt( I feel like Im missing something)

the other thing you can do that turns out pretty well is mix some honey with water(1part honey 2 parts water) and brush it on your meat before layering on the season, you can also do multiple layers that way

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your a jack of all trades aren't you Chris. Thanks, that sounds like a plan. I was wondering however, if I could add a small amount of brown sugar to the pepper powder I made so it would have a level of sweetness. I'm just worried it would clump and not store very well.

Tim

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Haha very limited trades, but no it doesn't store well at all. I normally make the main and leave the sugar out then add a tablespoon of brown sugar per 1/2 cup of my main mix depending on how much I'm making

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Brown sugar has quite a bit of water in it, which is probably what compromises storage.

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

maybe if you try to thin out the brown sugar on a plate for a day to dry then add the brown sugar and peppers to the grinder at the same time just a thought never tried it myself but i do use brown sugar in a lot of my rubs & marinades

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Armageddon....Sounds like a good idea. I may try that today. It seems like if the moisture was removed from the brown sugar, everyone would get along famously. :)

Tim

• homefry319
    11 years ago

So all brown sugar is, is raw pure bleached white sugar with molasses added so moisture would always be an issue(also that's how you can make your own brown sugar)

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok Chris, maybe I could try adding a little white sugar to the mix. I'm going for a powder I can use on everything that has a hint of sweetness to it. I thought adding sweet peppers to the mix would help, but all I taste is heat.

Tim

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Yeah if you want full powder try some Marconi or pimento peppers should sweeten it enough

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Hmmm. I wonder if anyone makes molasses powder ...

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I grind mine "as needed" and just store the dried peppers in quart bags that are stored in 1gal bags.

I can blend whatever peppers I want for whatever I am making. I usually have some left, so store that in old spice jars and label it with masking tape.

I usually have 2-3 different blends sitting in my cabinet. But, it's a small enough amount that I don't have to worry too much about it going bad.

In your case, since you already ground and mixed everything, you're kind of limited on different "blends". But, you could keep the peppers separate from other ingredients until you're ready to use them.

Also, it just sounds like you need to add more sweet peppers. As you harvest more, you can keep adding sweet peppers and just save the hot ones for something else.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County