Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Bugs?

Posted by peppernovice 7 b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 19:12

I found these guys on my chocolate scotch bonnets today. I think they might be lady bugs. Am I correct, or could they be something else?

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Bugs?

check out this site:

http://www.ladybug-life-cycle.com/

Hope it helps.

o

I don't see anything that looks like these guys on that page. I appreciate the link, but I'm still confused as to what the identity of these guys could be. If I read the article correctly, then these are not lady bugs.

Tim

o

those are not lady bugs unless they are some type of cross breed

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 20:28

At first look they do look like baby lady bugs but seems they go through a larval stage after hatching from the eggs where they don't look anything like a lady bug. My guess is that those are some kind of beetle or other species of insect and they are simply feeding on those white insect eggs. But I am certainly not a Bugologist and have only play one on the Garden Web Hot Pepper list.
Bruce

o

They look like milkweed leaf beetle Google image it.

o

that was gonna be my guess to the milkweed leaf beetle if it is them from photos on net looks like they might also be leaf eaters i would squish them to be safe (smile)

o

I think you're right hab...that looks just like them. I saw them on the plant this morning. Then when I looked on the plant beside, it looked like something had been feeding on the leaves and pods. There weren't holes in the pods, just looked like the top layer of the pod had been stripped. Like the color was missing in spots. I immediately freaked out and grabbed the insecticidal soap.I sprayed them down, then pulled the leaf off of the plant. Once I had a better look, I was afraid I had killed a beneficial bug. It looks like the milkweed beetle feeds on the plant, so maybe all is ok. Thanks guys.

Tim

o

They're the brown marmorated stink bug, Halyomorpha halys. Also called BMSB. The telltale ID characteristics are the white bands on the antennae of all life stages.

They are *very* bad news. Kill all you can as soon as you see them.

Read this info from Penn State:
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

Don't let them get ahead of you or you *will* weep!

Here is a link that might be useful: BMSB

o

Your right jean001a. I've seen one or two stink bugs. I didn't realize they looked like this when they were young. Thank you for the information. They have already damaged some of my sweet peppers. You may have just saved my season!

Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here