Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something eating my leaves

Posted by Dragon66 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 19:16

This is a Trinidad scorpion I had on my porch. About a week ago I put it outside to get more sun and notice something eating the leaves. I looked all around with a magnifying glass but didn't see anything. First it was one leaf the next day it was another. I also have a small hibiscus plant close by that the same thing is happening. My first thought is ants but I don't see any or nothing. Anyone recognize or know what it is any how can I stop it?

Thanks
Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something eating my leaves

Leaf cutter ants don't do surgery in that manner. (Besides, I don't think we have any around here.) Most likely it is a small caterpillar of some kind.

Don't sweat it. You have to expect leaf damage at this time of year, and the plants are way beefy and beyond caring. Just curse the little bugger in absentia and go back to yelling at the television news (one of my favorite sports, btw...)

Dennis

o

Yeah, like Dennis said I wouldn't worry about it when the plants are mature. I got lots of earwigs and slugs . They keep eating lower leaves.

o

Thanks the response guys. Right now I could count how of leaves have been eaten but on hibiscus plant I left it alone and literally all the leAves we're eaten off. It's now starting to produce some new leaves again. Do these slugs only eat at night?

thanks again
Ron

o

Yes, I think they only do eat at night. Try some diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the soil around the base of the plants. That will take care of any slugs or caterpillers crawling to your plant.

o

Here's a recent thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get rid of slugs and snails

o

Thanks kclost.

o

Some caterpillars - notably horn worms - will strip a plant in a day. But those are difficult to miss with a magnifying glass. They're as big as the glass.

o

Could be some grasshoppers. Saw a bunch today (large and brown) laying around on the dirt. When you walk close, they fly away.

o

The diatomaceous earth definitely did it. Haven't seen anymore leaves chewed since the treatment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here