Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperguy222

What kind of peppers do i have here?

PepperGuy222
11 years ago

Honestly, Ive absent mindedly lost the package they came in and I am new to this whole pepper planting thing, but man do I love it. I just cant put my finger on what these are. Theyre VERY SKINNY and VERY LONG, sort of curl at the end. I was thinking Cayenne but theyre not as "full" as the Cayennes I see online. Can you guys and gals help me out?

Comments (21)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Maybe this one:
    Long, skinny red pepper similar in appearance to the cayenne. The Kung Pao Pepper is a fairly recently introduced hybrid with excellent mildly hot flavor and is often used in Thai and other Southeast Asian cuisine. Fruits are very long, to 6-9", dark red in color, with thin walls. Plants are fast-growing and vigorous.
    Maturity: 80-90 Days
    Heat: Medium to hot.
    Scoville 7000-12,000

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Perhaps a Chiles de Arbol.

Might also be a Joe's Long (a type of cayenne, but longer and thinner).

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yea i was so confused becaise they look so similar to every other cayenne yet they...arent...cayenne...thanks everyone!

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

I don't think it is a Kung Pao either, I grew that last year. They get long, but not that long. Then again I'm growing Sigaretto di Bergamo chile that is supposed to be 3 - 4" and mine are averaging 8 inches.

I like the look of that pepper though, uniquely long and thin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Profile: Kung Pao

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Okay, scratch the chile de arbol. Just saw a scale picture of those things, and they're too small.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

So they kind of look like green beans,I found a photo taken in India where the peppers look similar, not much help as it doesn't have the name

Here is a link that might be useful: See photo here

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know it's really bugging me what these are. There probably 9 inches
    Long....it's bothering me now....lol

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I saw a post on another forum that looked just like your pepper but he was asking what kind it was too. He never really got a definitive answer. I hope you fare better. I would like to know also.
    Bruce

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have literally searched everywhere for the packages, now I'm going to home depot, where I got them, for some answers. Hopefully within the hour we will have solved this mystery!

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

"Sir, we don't sell pepper seeds here. We never have."

"Witness a man confused by an apparent impossibility. Where what he knows and what everyone else believes are at odds with one another. Little does he know that by stepping through those doors, he has entered his own private section of... The Twilight Zone."

Doo dooo doooooo.

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

HAHA Edymnion, I was thinking the same thing. Nothing better than when Rod Serling starts narrating your life..

I know the length of the pepper is throwing me off the most, and pepper length can really vary quite a bit from season to season.

I'm thinking it's some type of Indonesian pepper. I checked CCN's site (chileplants.com) the only chiles that match a really long skinny cayenne type pepper is Cobra or Aci Sivri. Now I grew cobra last year and the plant did quite well but the pods never exceeded 5 inches. So Aci Sivri might be it, but why would they sell a rare turkish pepper at HD?

Could just be a funky strain.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info about Aci Sivri pepper from the chile man

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

That picture in India looks like two of the peppers I'm growing from that area. One called Hot Kil, one is Surmeli. The peppers are over 10 inches long already. The hot kil IS hot, makes my nose run. Took some of the peppers to a friend originally from Pakastan and he was super excited to get them. Here's the pic of Hot Kil
    Very prolific, very thin and long and curley. A lighter green in color.

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

Hot Kil is the lighter one
    Surmeli the fatter one...not hot

My Son in law just spent 9 months in Indonesia..I have a few presents to plant next year.

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the peppers i have are VERY similar to the HOT KIL including the stem to pod connection. Almost identical. But again, why would they sell them at Home Depot, and I don't think I would ever buy those haha. Maybe it is a weird strain or maybe I have somehow cultivated a combination or jalapeno, hot Hungarian wax, and Cayenne, which are ALL growing next to each other...

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

OK I just watch Bonnie's (highalttransplant)garden video from this week and she featured the Aci Sivri pepper which does not look like your pods.
    She did also feature a Whippet's Tail (aka Joe's long) which is basically a long thin cayenne, hers are growing very similarly to yours.
    It's way more likely that the HD seeds you got were long slim cayennes and they happen to be growing particularly long and slim for you this year.

And yes, I have been thinking about this since yesterday. No, I don't have a life.

Link to Bonnie's video below, watch the whole thing (because she did a great job!) but in case you miss it....
    6:24 mark - Aci Sivri
    8:00 mark - Whippet's tail

Here is a link that might be useful: Highalttransplants kicka** garden tour 8-14-1

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

Whatever it is I have to go hunting now to find some for DH. He would love it! Well, I would too. Gorgeous plant you have.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Actually edymnion, My guess was chile de arbol also.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Woohooman: Chile de Arbol only grow 2-3 inches long. They look right overall, but those things look to be 8"+.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

edymnion:

You're right. They do look pretty long, but my chile de arboles were 5-6" last year. This year's was a late planting so I'm just starting to see fruit right now.

/shrug

• Murat Murat
    2 years ago

a turkish pepper variety callled ''kil'' pepper

• farmerdill
    2 years ago

I grow one named Witch Stick which has similar physical appearance. Relatively low at most about 1500 Scoville units. It ripens to a bright cardinal red but has orange i

ntermediate stages.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?