Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carolina reaper

• Posted by TNKS 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 20:03

Hopefully it hasn't been plucked yet,let it hang for several more days

o

That's as hot as it's going to be....the capsaicin is probably already degrading, not that you'd notice ;-)

Josh

o

• Posted by TNKS 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 23:23

Heat isn't the subject,its all in bettering/improving the flavor of the pod
Letting the caps breakdown into sugar will net a much taster pod.
Many chocolates thought to be bitter or overly floral benefit from a longer hang times,Reapers are no different.

o

I planted my carolina reaper plants in may do u think they will be ready before the first frost

o

I agree TNKS. Almost all peppers that are consumed "ripe" benefit from extra "hang" time to develop flavor and sweetness.

randy: Where are you located?

Kevin

o

Tennessee if their not ready by the time the frost comes I was gonna put them in my greenhouse but I don't know how to heat it

o

You "might" get something, but I doubt it. Sorry to be a downer. Seeds were planted in May or PLANTS?

Oh! So, they're in containers? Great thing! Your best bet... when temps start falling into consistent night lows of <50F, would be to drag them in and out of your garage(or some other place that might be warm at night) each day and into the greenhouse.

Kevin

o

The plants were planted in may one of my plants has bright green small reapers on it but I don't know how long they take to fully ripen

o

Oh...ok! PLANTS should do something. I've never grown reapers, but I imagine they're like other chinenses--- about 150-200 days from germination to ripe pods.

Kevin

o

The plants were planted in may one of my plants has bright green small reapers on it but I don't know how long they take to fully ripen

o

I'd say you're right on track for a harvest late next month.

Think about how you'd heat the greenhouse. If those plants survive the winter you'll have a running start next year!

Good growing.

Dennis

o

Agree with Dennis. After seeing your pic, I don't see any reason why you won't get at least a few before frost. If you can extend the season, even more than a few.

That one doesn't look like it's in a container though. Were you planning the greenhouse for THIS one. If not, then the only thing I can suggest is heavy mulch when it starts to cool. This might keep the soil warm for an extra couple weeks.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 18:06

o

I am going to dig it up and put it in a big pot and hope it lives

o

That is a good idea.

What have you got to lose. If it makes it, It is a win, win for you and the pepper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here