Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pest

Posted by peppernovice 7 b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 19:37

Found this tomato horn worm on my Peppadew this morning. It looks like mother nature has already taken care of him. He won't be alive for much longer!

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pest

where there's one there's probably 50. Man I had one destroy a whole tomato plant in one night. I used BT worm killer organic spray; killed them all. Too bad that one has beneficial insect larvae on him.

o

Even if you want to let nature take its course, I'd still relocate it. :-)

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 23:35

Even if you want to let nature take its course, I'd still relocate it. :-)

I wouldn't relocate it. Those are parasitic wasp eggs on its back and have rendered it useless as a pest to your plants. All it is now is a food source for the baby wasps and it can no longer eat.

The eggs will hatch & grow into adult wasps that will nail more hornworms.

o

I figure there's got to be a window where the worm is parasitized but still chomping away. Then at some point he is far enough gone that he stops eating. Maybe I'm wrong and that window doesn't exist. I'd still feel better knowing he wasn't among my peppers or tomatoes. :-)

o

Not "parasitic wasp eggs."

Instead "parasitic wasp cocoons." The wasp larvae have completed their meal & will soon emerge from their white cocoons.

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 18:14

Eggs or cocoons...who cares. End result is the same.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here