Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

8/29/2014 Video Update....

peppernovice
9 years ago

Here's a quick update just to show where my plants are this late in the season. Things are starting to slow down, but I still have more pods than I can handle. Let me know what you guys think.

Tim

http://youtu.be/1vD4llEeXCQ

Comments (9)

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Looks and sounds like you've had a great season Tim.

I'd pickle those White Bullet Habs with some Tobasco and Hawaiian pepper rings. Just a suggestion ;-)

Bill

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You typically just use a 50/50 vinegar/water mix?

Tim

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Tim, excellent season, that's a whole lot of peppers and your plants produce extremely well. I enjoy seeing the videos you put out, wish my plants produced that well.

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Tim once again your plants are spitting out tons of fruit. Another nice harvest.

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

I totally agree. I love watching your video updates. Always looking forward to the new ones. I DO, however, think it's time for you to "update" your Member Name! I mean, really? Novice?! Just kidding. Awesome job as usual!

Mike

• John A
    9 years ago

Great crop Tim. Are those all new plants this year, or did you over-winter? What is your fertilizer routine?

Here's a recipe that I use quite often which is good with many pepper varieties other than Habs. There are many others on Pepperfool.com.

Habanero Hot Sauce
    1 ý cups chopped carrots (I'm lazy- I buy these pre-shredded)
    1 onion, chopped (I like a nice fat Vidalia)
    1 ý cup lime juice
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp salt
    1 cup chopped habanero chiles, about 12 chiles, (I generally use 15-20 habs)
    1. Combine all the ingredients, except for the habaneros, in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until the carrots are soft. (Adjust the heat by adding fewer habaneros not by increasing the carrots, as this can alter the flavor.)

2. Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Strain for a smoother sauce.

3. Pour in sterilized jars and refrigerate (or process in a water bath as I do)

I love this recipe because the carrots & lime help bring out that wonderful citrus flavor that habs possess. I know not many people believe that habs have flavor, but they do- it's just very subtle & not for the feint of heart!

John A

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Awesome production, Tim!

Yep. Hot sauce and powder is the way to go to use up huge amounts of peppers. I left the link for fermenting a mash on habjolokia's recent post, but I'll leave it here. You can definitely put a HUGE dent in your harvests doing mashes and you will not be disappointed in the flavors.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermenting Peppers 101

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments and recipes guys.
    John.... I alternate between Alaska fish fertilizer and Miracle Grow all purpose plant food. I usually fertilize about every 10 days to 2 weeks.

Tim

• don555
    9 years ago

Wow! What a wicked harvest, and if I remember correctly you even started off kind of slow? Sure made for it in the end!

Sponsored