Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

Bonnie Plants' Worlds Hottest What ?

DMForcier
9 years ago

Last few years the pepper sold by Bonnie Plants (in all the big box and many of the smaller stores) as 'World's Hottest Habanero' was actually Yellow Fatalii - a much more interesting pepper than some old habanero. There have been many posts here about what a good pepper it is and recommending it as a first plant for newbies in search of pain.

This year I sought one out, grew it, and got something different. I don't know what it is. I have been contacted by growers that did the same and who's 4 plants look just like mine. Not fataliis.

So what are they?

The pods are a beautiful deep orange, about the heat level of fatalii (nominally 300K SHU). And they taste more floral than an orange hab. In a lot a ways, reminiscent of fatalii. But they're not fatalii.

Dennis

Comments (9)

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of the plant. It is in the same pot and generally same medium as my yellow fatalii, Leaves are not all that different, but a little broader and more "chinense-like", if you get my meaning. Plant form is not the same - not as large or spreading, and not nearly as many pods, though the season is still young.

Dennis

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Dennis,
    I don't know looks like a cross between the two. Nice pods though.
    Randal

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Dennis, to me it looks like some kind of Hab. But then I am not a genuine chili head . :-)

• sjetski
    9 years ago

I'd say it's just some orange hab cultivar, and there are many. Unless Bonnie Plants fesses up, i don't think you'll ever figure out which one it is. Since it has more complex flavor notes than a standard Orange Hab, then you have a winner imho.

That plant is read for a huge September crop.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 9:44

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Looks similar to the tree habs I've been getting lately...

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I could kick myself for losing the seed packaging on these supposed habaneros, but I do recall the package saying "worlds hottest pepper" on it. Could have been Bonnie plants? Here is what I am getting out of it. Lots of pods. Just got back from a trip and picked my first one. really bright orange almost yellow. The picture makes it look a lot darker than it is.

Did yours look like this on the plant as they were forming?

I just ate it and it had thick and crispy flesh not like habs I have had before, and a perfumey flavor I'm having a hard time putting my finger on.. Heat was in the habanero range but its the first one and a bit smaller than the others coming in. I expect a lot more heat in future pods.
    dj

This post was edited by djoy on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 17:46

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I grew one of those plants last year. I usually love hab flavor, but I was not impressed by that one, so I threw it away. it was a crazy prolific producer, which was cool. but the flavor wasn't what I was hoping for. the pods looked identical to those grown by OP.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dj, "perfumey" is a pretty good word for the initial impression. Good flesh.

But the little one in my picture was the first one to color and turned out to be damaged. It was not all that hot. The others all look like the big one and are "quite warm". It would be hard to think they are the same plant.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 15:01

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Agreed, I'm going to wait for a few of more of mine to ripen, then you may be seeing a new 'what is this really' post after that.

dj

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County