Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

strange yellow jalapenos!!

vieja_gw
10 years ago

Grow jals every year but this year we have one plant among the normal jalapenos that has nothing but all mature yellow jals on it! Right next to it are normal dark green jalapeno plants! Are letting some of the yellow ones dry & save the seeds to see what will develop from this one!

The Heritage Big Jims still vary in heat intensity from one fruit to another on the same plant in the garden!

The Jal-mundo variety (jalapenos) though sure make great 'poppers': big peppers & thick walls & not so hot this year & stuff well.

I suppose there may be cross pollination problems despite the different blooming times and large plant variety separation....

Comments (25)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

That sounds like a cool cross, can you post a pic, I would like to see the yellow Jalapeno.

Mark

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I'm with Mark! Please post a pic.

Tim

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Am taking one yellow pepper along with my photos down to the County Extension Bureau/Agent & maybe they will send it to NM State Chile Institute.

Am so sorry... but have never learned to post pics on this forum unfortunately !

So far the flavor seems to be similar to the dark green jals on the plant next to it; will see what happens when these yellow ones ripen! We also have some plants that grow large, round 3/4 in. chilies & are turning a bright red just now; the seed bought & mailed x China was SUPPOSED to be 'pequin' but the ad called it 'tepin' .. Our 'John's "'Sin Nombre" ' seed we in fun 'named' & grow every year is some kind of an old (rather hot!) New Mexican chile a local fellow gave us at a grower's market & his family had grown for years but had no idea the name. Lots of fun!

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

You sure you don't have Jaloro? That's a yellow Jalapeno variety.

Mark, if you want to see a yellow Jal just search on Jaloro. :-)

Pam

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kuvaszlvr: Yep, I bet we got some of that mixed in the Early Jalapeno seed I bought!! Now I have another chile to add to my collection ... thanks!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Posting pics here is as easy as clicking the "browse" button and simply uploading directly from your computer.

Josh

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

greenman: problem: my pics are only on my camera!

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here you go...

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Pam thanks for the info, looks like the final color is red though. It would be cool to have it ripen yellow. May give it a try sometime.

Vieja, awesome pic and healthy looking plant. It's neat to see a yellow jalapeno or jaloro as Pam pointed out.

Mark

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Hard to tell from the photo, but those look light green, the jaloro is very yellow, at least mine are. And yep, they will ripen to red, but it takes forever. They stay yellow a very long time. They are ok, nothing like BIker Billy or Jalastar, just plain old Jalapeno flavor. Mine at least. Next year I'm going to try some Black Jalapenos, I grow the purple, which are very pretty, but the black looks cool.
    Pam

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Nice peppers, keep us updated as they ripen!

Josh

• buddaley
    8 years ago

Hi I bought 2 of these and both plants they have turned yellow ?

• Samantha
    7 years ago

Or a scotch pepper!

• sandysgardens
    7 years ago

I believe what Vieja was growing was a Jaloro (yellow Jalapeno) which was developed by the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. They start out as golden yellow then turn orange and eventually turn red. I grow them each year and use them at the yellow stage along with green jalapeno's in dishes...

• Samantha
    7 years ago

These are mine and when I was given the plant the man told me it was a scotch pepper and I live here in south Texas!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Scotch Bonnet Pepper is likely the pepper plant you are referring to.

• Samantha
    7 years ago

So I don't think mine is a scotch pepper i am pretty sure it's just habinaro because I just ate one and omg my mouth is on fire also they haven't turn red just strictly orange

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Scotch Bonnet is significantly hotter than the regular Habanero.

• Samantha
    7 years ago

Do you think they taste like habanero ?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

hahaha, for a pepper grower, I am relative wimp at eating them. With me, anything that is as hot as a Hab is so hot to me that after the first 2 seconds of eating one, my taste buds are so fried that all they taste is pain. What does "pain" taste like you ask? It tastes like a lug nut off Tony Stewart's Sprint Cup car after 50 laps at Martinsville.

• linda grant
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a green pepper (not sure which type) that is turning yellow, can anyone enlighten me as to which type of pepper it is and why it's going yellow?

• linda grant
    3 years ago

This is the pepper I need advice on

• HU-196200925
    3 years ago

I have the light green ones as well. The seeds for these plants came from a dried jalapeño I grew two years ago. I grew 10 plants from that one jalapeño but this one plant produces the light green ones.

• HU-606756652
    4 months ago

Does it have anything to do with cold weather? I've got a habanero with pods turning white to orange, after it was brought inside.

Also, a jalapeno that was pumping out green maturing red, is now producing yellow pods.

Sponsored