Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperguy222

Can you pickle superhots?

PepperGuy222
10 years ago

Me and my neighbor have been contemplating pickling our bhuts and naga vipers. Has anyone done this? Let me know if you have or even if you think it's a good idea.

Comments (10)

• vermiman
    10 years ago

Sure you can. If you can handle eating whole raw pods, pickling would be an adventurous move. I wouldn't see someone eating them like pickled jalapenoes.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Very good idea :) my problem is I never did before this time I am thinking to do it.

Caelian

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've never done this before so I'm a little confused. After they're pickled you can't cut them up and eat them? They have to be eaten whole?

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

I do not know any type of pickling. I like this type of pickle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickle

• chilemilio
    10 years ago

My wife pickled me a couple mixes of regular and super hots last year. They came out pretty good, only issue was that everything in the jar turned into a superhot. We cut them up, and used every so often. They gave an excellent kick in your average hoagie/sandwich.. you can even use the supremely hot pickle juice in soups. for reference, she used recipes from the 'joy of pickling' book.

We also just threw some superhots in a seasoned vinegar mix (coriander, peppercorns, salt, oregano, etc..) with cucumbers, onions, and carrots, and let them sit in the fridge. Depending on how long the veggies sat determined the amount of pain they inflicted. But they were good for sandwiches, or for sprinkling the liquid over rice with fish or a fried egg

Happy pickling! -E

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I, myself, wouldn't do a full jar of superhots. But rather something like chilemilio. I make pickled carrots normally with jalapenos and/or serranos. But a few superhots in the gallon of mix would kick it up a notch. Or take a few and throw in a jar of regular dill pickles.

Vinegar definitely takes the heat out of peppers. But I'm not sure how much heat would dissipate from a full jar of nothing but superhots. What you don't want is to have a jar of peppers that isn't palatable because of TOO much heat.

Pepperguy: why don't you do just one jar and let us know -- I'd be interested. Just do a quick fridge version so you don't have to go through all the hassle of "canning."

Do you need a quick brining recipe? Let me know.

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I think pickling a lot of other veggies with a super hot or two or three mixed in would be great for the heat lovers out there. It may take some experimenting on how many supper hots to add to each jar of say "Pickles" or eggs, or whatever vegetable to get the right heat. But once you find the right combinations, you could stretch your heat to a lot of different and interesting veggies. Like maybe put one bhut pod in with a quart jar of pickles. Then put two in the next jar and three in the third. Find out which one offers the right heat and you have a great hot pickle recipe. Then try it with several other super hots or even mild to hot peppers.
    Bruce

• PepperGuy222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, let me know the recipe to use and I'll pickle them tonight and let you know

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Pepperguy:

First, pack the peppers in the jar, fill with water about a half inch from lip. Now dump the water into a measuring cup -- this will tell you how much liquid you'll need.

Now... 2:1 ratio water to white vinegar. I guess you could use apple cider vinegar, but i don't.

I make gallons, but I'll break down the remaining ingredients for a quart

In a nonreactive saucepan, combine water/vinegar with

2 TB pickling salt -- you can use regular sea salt , but the mixture turns cloudy after a while with it(which I don't mind).

tsp black pepper
    a sprig or two of thyme or 1-2 tsp dried
    1-2 tsp mexican oregano -- greek is fine also
    a couple bay leaves
    1 TB coriander seeds

Heat to just boiling on medium heat. Take off heat and let cool to room temp.

While you're doing this, you can blanch the peppers.

First, prepare an ice bath. In a large bowl, add a bunch of ice and cold water.

Heat a larger pot with water and some salt and bring to a rapid boil. Dump no more that 1 lb(superhots are very light, so a lb I'm sure, is quite a bunch) at a time into the boiling water and blanch for ONE minute(2 max.--- depends on the variety of pepper and how thick fleshed it is). Fish out peppers with a strainer and immediately into the ice bath for 5 minutes.

After the brine has cooled pack the peppers in the jar with:

2-4 cloves garlic (chopped or smashed with edge of knife)
    1/2 small or medium onion sliced.

Pour the brine, spices and all, in the jar. No more than 1/2 " from lip. If you need more brine just add 2:1 water/vinegar.

Put lid on and let sit on counter for a few days before putting in fridge. Will last for at least 6 months in fridge. Peppers should be brined enough after a few days, but a couple weeks is better.

If you want to do it with carrots( found in every mexican restaurant here), Peel and slice a crapload of carrots on the bias 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Blanch a lb at a time for THREE minutes and the ice bath.

Cucumbers or zucchini, you wouldn't blanch first. But you may want to pick up some Pickle Crisp or grape leaves to prevent from getting mushy.

If you want to go with just a straight dill pickle mixture, Walmart has Mrs. Wages quick process(fridge) pickle seasoning. I've used it in the past for simple fridge dill pickles before -- not bad at all.

Any more questions regarding this recipe, let me know. No canning questions though I've yet to venture there yet.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 16:57

• Jeff_H
    10 years ago

One thing to mention about using superhots to add heat to other vegetables is that it can take a while to get the heat infused.

I made a couple quarts of hot slaw last year and each quart had one quartered bhut in the jar. After a week there was no real heat. After 6 weeks or so, the slaw was hot enough to numb your lips pretty quickly. Patience.

Sponsored