Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weri Weri

Posted by hookilau long island NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 21:15

So my best producing plant right now, here on Long Island happens to be one of my favorites. Behold the mighty weri weri =)

I've started picking in the last few days and already made a simple table sauce. So far, only about 4 or 5 ripened a nice orangey-red. Love my magic bullet for this sauce. I freeze most of 'em & use them for everyday cooking also.

He's about 3 feet tall & just as wide. I will be bringing him in this winter for sure!

Antoinette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weri Weri

That's a beautiful plant! I'm not familiar with the weri weri. What is the heat and flavor like? Are there a lot of seeds? I enjoy the taste of the Numex Twilight I'm growing this year, but I doubt I will grow it next year because the pods are small with a lot of seeds. Congratulations.

Tim

o

According to Google, those little buggers are 150k shu.

o

Thanks Tim =) I'm just tickled. Even my mom is impressed by the production on this guy. You can't imagine how I want to do a little dance!

They're a little hard to describe but I'll try.

You feel the heat right up front, as soon as you taste it. It's HOT and then fruity.... and then it wanes & it's GONE.

No lingering on the palate. I was born in the West Indies, so hot pepper on every plate of food is the norm. I like Weri Weri because the peppers are tiny, about the size of a robin's egg or smaller. HOT for a nano second, then, by the time you're ready for the next bite....heat is gone, but flavor still remains.

Love it. Because they're so tiny, I can pull one out of the freezer & serve one to a plate. No waste.

Forgive Edymnion, what is 150 k shu? I googled it but got this post, ha ha on me XD
I expect it relates to scoville, yes?

Antoinette

o

Yup.

SHU = Scoville Heat Units, its the official abbreviation for those too lazy to type out scovilles every time. ;)

And obviously 150k = 150,000.

o

O good googly moogly.
Duh =) I can't believe I didn't figure that out, LOL!!

Antoinette

o

O, and when you cut one open, it is does have a lot of seeds. All that can fit in the tiny lil guy. Probably 6ish or so. The next set of peppers I pick, I'll post some pics of a couple of them cut open.

I'm pretty sure it's a very common Guyanese pepper. In Trinidad, I was only familiar with the regular congo pepper. I had to ask my dad about Moruga and Trini scorpian. He's a bit of a joker so I'm not sure if he was putting me on or not, but he said 7 pot is called so because you could cook 7 pots of food with the same pepper.

We've never had anything other than congo, weri weri & seasoning peppers in our household. I'm not sure if I can handle ghost, bhut, etc. They sound dangerous! :)

Antoinette

o

Yipes. Wikipedia has Weri Weri (also know as Wiri Wiri) at 100k to 300k Scoville HU. They rate Habs & Scotch bonnet (I believe this is what my mom calls congo, but I could be wrong)the same. Might be my mom uses weri weri, congo & habs interchangeably.

Antoinette

o

Maybe you can handle a little more heat than you realized. :)

o

LOL. If I saw superhots for sale, I'd buy one of each just to see what they're like. I like the heat, but the underlying flavor is what I find most appealing.

Seeing the SHU numbers is alarming though :)

Antoinette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here