Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

Weri Weri

hookilau
11 years ago

So my best producing plant right now, here on Long Island happens to be one of my favorites. Behold the mighty weri weri =)

I've started picking in the last few days and already made a simple table sauce. So far, only about 4 or 5 ripened a nice orangey-red. Love my magic bullet for this sauce. I freeze most of 'em & use them for everyday cooking also.

He's about 3 feet tall & just as wide. I will be bringing him in this winter for sure!

Antoinette

Comments (9)

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful plant! I'm not familiar with the weri weri. What is the heat and flavor like? Are there a lot of seeds? I enjoy the taste of the Numex Twilight I'm growing this year, but I doubt I will grow it next year because the pods are small with a lot of seeds. Congratulations.

Tim

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

According to Google, those little buggers are 150k shu.

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tim =) I'm just tickled. Even my mom is impressed by the production on this guy. You can't imagine how I want to do a little dance!

They're a little hard to describe but I'll try.

You feel the heat right up front, as soon as you taste it. It's HOT and then fruity.... and then it wanes & it's GONE.

No lingering on the palate. I was born in the West Indies, so hot pepper on every plate of food is the norm. I like Weri Weri because the peppers are tiny, about the size of a robin's egg or smaller. HOT for a nano second, then, by the time you're ready for the next bite....heat is gone, but flavor still remains.

Love it. Because they're so tiny, I can pull one out of the freezer & serve one to a plate. No waste.

Forgive Edymnion, what is 150 k shu? I googled it but got this post, ha ha on me XD
    I expect it relates to scoville, yes?

Antoinette

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yup.

SHU = Scoville Heat Units, its the official abbreviation for those too lazy to type out scovilles every time. ;)

And obviously 150k = 150,000.

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O good googly moogly.
    Duh =) I can't believe I didn't figure that out, LOL!!

Antoinette

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O, and when you cut one open, it is does have a lot of seeds. All that can fit in the tiny lil guy. Probably 6ish or so. The next set of peppers I pick, I'll post some pics of a couple of them cut open.

I'm pretty sure it's a very common Guyanese pepper. In Trinidad, I was only familiar with the regular congo pepper. I had to ask my dad about Moruga and Trini scorpian. He's a bit of a joker so I'm not sure if he was putting me on or not, but he said 7 pot is called so because you could cook 7 pots of food with the same pepper.

We've never had anything other than congo, weri weri & seasoning peppers in our household. I'm not sure if I can handle ghost, bhut, etc. They sound dangerous! :)

Antoinette

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yipes. Wikipedia has Weri Weri (also know as Wiri Wiri) at 100k to 300k Scoville HU. They rate Habs & Scotch bonnet (I believe this is what my mom calls congo, but I could be wrong)the same. Might be my mom uses weri weri, congo & habs interchangeably.

Antoinette

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Maybe you can handle a little more heat than you realized. :)

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL. If I saw superhots for sale, I'd buy one of each just to see what they're like. I like the heat, but the underlying flavor is what I find most appealing.

Seeing the SHU numbers is alarming though :)

Antoinette

• aliciacammel
    7 years ago

Hi Antoinette, I love weri weri peppers but can't seems to find them in the state I live. I would love to get a few of the seeds to plant next year. Can send sase.

Thank you,

Alicia.

Sponsored