Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smart pots

Posted by toolstack 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 21:23

Hi
Have any of yall used the smart pots? I was looking at them on amazon, they seem pricy $12.53 plus shipping and handling for a 10 gallon container. Are they worth it? Their description says they are better than hard side containers.
Thanks Randal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smart pots

I plan on using the Viagrow bags next year...

PS They have various sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viagrow bags

This post was edited by mecdave on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 8:01

o

Good question, Randal.

I also like to know the real BIG difference between a "Smart" bag and any "Fabric" bag. I buy grocery store shopping bags for about a buck/pce.

o

Amazon pricing a bit high, 10 gal. Smart Pots with handles at $7.85 (Plus S&H?) at Planet Natural. 10 gal. similar bags with handles for 5 bucks each (Free shipping to a HD store.) at HD.> Root Pouch.

In reading the sales pitch for Smart Pots it seems their claim to fame is increased aeration, keeping it cooler during elevated temps, and preventing the plant from becoming root bound, "Plant roots also benefit from their natural tendency to grow into soft surfaces like the Smart Pot, becoming thick and healthy instead of circling the inside of the pot and becoming root-bound. also called "air root pruning".

Hope this helps.
NECM

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 10:24

o

In reading the sales pitch for Smart Pots it seems their claim to fame is increased aeration, keeping it cooler during elevated temps
%%%%%%%%%%%%

NECM , thanks.
same thing is true about 99 cents shopping bags.They might not last very long, but then 99 cents !?! You can put a liner of landscape fabric inside them. Another 99 cents: Voila, smart pot., very smart. hehe

With aeration also comes loss of moisture faster and thus requiring more watering. I am using both fabric bags and plastic pots. I will see the difference at the end of season.

o

I just checked out the viagrow link (thanks Mecdave) those seem to be a good value especially getting 25 in a pack.
Thanks Randal

o

Checked out the links you posted too Northeast chili man thanks for the info.
Seysonn let us know how those work please.
Thanks all
Randal

o

You're welcome Randal. There is someone here using a couple different sizes of these bags. I was hoping they would see this thread and let us know how they are working out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here