Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsheets_gw

Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce

tsheets
12 years ago

I had a few Scotch Bonnets ripen and first chance I got I tried chile_freak / Chef Paul's recipe for a simple Scotch Bonnet hot sauce (hidden in the "Eating chocolate habanero's" thread).

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0717550513346.html

Anyway, it is awesome! Tons of flavor and smelled great while roasting in the oven!

Before:

After:

I did just what he described, except cut the recipe in half. Used Rice vinegar because I didn't find cane, and strained it pushing all the pulp through, but, leaving the larger chunks of seeds/skins behind.

Anyway, just thought I'd report back since he has been kind enough to share a ton of recipe ideas with us.

Thanks, Paul/chile_freak!!!

Comments (17)

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Looks Awesome!
    Wondering about your bottles. I saw some online a while back and thought of ordering them. I always can my hot sauce in mason jars. Is there a way to seal those bottles so the sauce has a long shelf life/is preserved?

• Phildeez
    12 years ago

Nice color, I would not have guessed it to come out so yellow using a carrot. I am about to mimic this recipe but replace the scotch bonnets with a couple orange habs and serranos, and the carrot with mango. Hopefully the color is as vibrant as yours!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I agree with the Simsedward and Phil!
    Fantastic color, great presentation. And thank you for trying out one of Paul's recipes.
    What a resource we have in the Chef ;-)

I would have expected mustard in the recipe from the bright color.

Josh

• tsheets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, guys!

@simsedward - I don't make large batches and keep them in the fridge, so, shelf life isn't really an issue. I am not sure if you could do a boiling water bath or not with the plastic lids. The instructions I've seen basically say to bring the sauce back to a boil and pour into bottles and invert them to sanitize the lid. I don't know that I totally trust that, but, figure it can't hurt (I still keep them in the fridge).

@Phildeez - It is an awesome bright yellow. I think even more than the picture shows. I was also surprised that the carrot didn't give it a darker / orange color. Good luck on your sauce, post pics when done!!

• romy6
    12 years ago

That looks like some tasty sauce!

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

Glad it turned out well for u tsheets, it is the onion and garlic that tone down the color of the carrot btw, the yellow peppers obviously dont hurt either ;)
    Keep the faith man,
    paul

• tsheets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone, and thanks again, Paul!!

• sjetski
    12 years ago

Wow tsheets that looks fantastic, looks like you hit a home run on your first try with that recipe!

• simsedward
    12 years ago

So...with the ingredients in the picture...how hot is it? Compared to....what other heat?
    Just curious. It looks great and I am going to make some.

• tsheets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm really not a good judge on comparing it to anything. I don't do the super hots (not yet anyway) but, like things hotter than my gf can handle. I think it's hot (had it on pizza tonight), but, not uncomfortable. Maybe in the tobasco ball park, but, completely different burn. If you like things really hot, you might want to add a couple more scotch bonnets. But, it's got a good balance as is.

• tjbarney
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for posting tsheets! I can't wait to try it but I haven't been able to find any REAL scotch bonnet seeds. I hate to ask but would you be willing to send me a couple seeds if I sent you a stamped envelope?

• tsheets
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only bought one pack of seeds and didn't isolate any blooms to prevent cross pollination, so, I don't have many but, I could spare a few. Send me an e-mail and we can set it up.

• John A
    12 years ago

I always buy my woozie bottles from Beth at Peppermania (a nice person to deal with). See website link below. They do not seal like Ball canning jars, so the most important thing to do is to keep your pH below 4.0. I keep mine on the shelf several years.
    John A

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermania

• brucesghostpepperz
    12 years ago

nice color on the sauce, and looks delicious!

(FYI - we've found that SKS bottles has some good prices on their bottles, too)

Here is a link that might be useful: SKS bottle & packaging

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

bruce @ ghost peppers, hazah and kudos, setting a link to another buisness that was relevant and helpful, now thats what we like to see well played sir!

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Even (esp?) if using mason jars it's important to keep pH below 4.6 and make sure it stays there - pH can rise on the shelf. That's why you should only use tested recipes for canning. But these recipes using carrots, mangos, etc. would be great for refrigeration.

Bruce - just wondering, how *do* you seal those woozy bottles? I've just made a couple quarts of raspberry white wine vinegar (steeped about 1 month), would be great to package in bottles with the reducer top if I can seal them - much more convenient to pour out of than mason jars.

State allows me to sell flavored vinegars, just can't sell "acidified foods" (pickles, relish, hot sauce) without lab testing for acidity.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Darn, state won't allow me to sell flavored vinegar since the vinegar part wasn't produced here (just the raspberries). There goes my idea for pepper-infused vinegars (I'll still try some for us, but I'd rather make hot sauce so I can stop buying Frank's).

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio