Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodnebridges

health benefits....

rodnebridges
11 years ago

of hot peppers ? Do any of you know of any, or experienced any of them ? I know some pain relief medicines include capsaicin, especially back-pain medicines.

Comments (12)

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

My naturopath says that hot pepper has mild anti-microbial properties.

In the past, I had a sinus infection that wouldn't clear for months. Some of the spicy food at the Chinese restaurant would drain the sinuses for hours of relief.

I've heard that any pepper, especially if it's ripe, has a lot of vitamin C.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

It's said that hot peppers raise your metabolism. They are also supposed to help lower your blood pressure. I would assume that requires them to be part of your daily diet. I don't think you would benefit much from eating them once or twice a month. This is stuff I've read, obviously I don't know it to be factual. I hope it is though. My blood pressure is on the high side. I guess we'll see the next time I test my blood pressure.

Tim

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

Most health food stores carry capsules of cayenne, so there must be some health benefits to them. One friend told me her sister had them recommended to her by an MD for a stomach ailment and it cured it!! I eat hot peppers every day and I am very healthy, but I certainly do not attribute it to that.

• don555
    11 years ago

I eat them because I like the heat and/or taste. Maybe they are healthy, but I guess eating any veggie is recommended. I personally don't believe any disease or medical condition can be cured simply by eating hot peppers or any other fruit or vegetable for that matter.

• t-bob
    11 years ago

Last October i had a heart problem-- sudden onset paracarditis. I suddenly felt weird pain at my diaphgram and knew it was something not good.....i did the stroke check (do you know these test, look them up, it might save you or another), then started worrying it might be heart related and so found the aspirin and then ate about 4 serranos i had on hand(thins blood)....soon we called an EMT friend and when my wife said i had broken out in a cold sweat(different from a pepper sweat), she said call 911 NOW....i took a life flight off island. they said i barely made it, and this was SUDDEN ONSET for sure....anyway, i told several doctors and RN's over the next 5 days in the hospital i had eaten aspirin ..oh good and peppers...huh....well, soon after i saw an article that said a new study had found peppers can be helpful in a cardiac arrest....HUH medicos, i already knew this. i couldn't find that article because i have a 5 yr old pest wanting attention right now, but i did find this one, and seeing as i am 56 and have worries with family history, the first section appeals to me,.....i hope the link works out---stay healthy, eat dem peps

http://www.naturalnews.com/026076_PSA_capsaicin_cancer.html

• Djole
    11 years ago

My blood pressure was on the high side (140/90, peaking even 150/100) for quite some time now. I've eaten jalapenos (the garden hot ones) and habaneros every day for the last month. 2 days ago i measured 121/79. I'd like to believe its the peppers. I'll check again in a few days and i'll let u know.

Since they raise metabolism, they can help with weight loss. That been said, i suppose it's important to actually get "hot" while eating - i doubt that mild heat in a meal can help. On the other hand, a proper pepper sweat and some tears shed should do the trick ;)

And they help with sinuses as well.

Personally, I do believe hot peppers are a great asset health-wise. A body has a way of telling you when it needs a certain nutrient, vitamin or compound through a very specific "craving" sensation (not to be confused with addiction). Once i've started eating them on the regular basis, i experience those cravings (addiction?! :)). Now i'm trying to get my GF and my family to start eating them on a regular basis (none of them like "hot", however i'm persuading them that it's the acquired taste and just takes a little exposure/practice :)).

Cheers,
    Djole

• azzure08(zone8a)
    11 years ago

everybody knows that peppers can make you go number two lol. I have also heard they are good for tummy trouble, but I am not a doctor.

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

t-bob's post reminded me that I'd heard from an herbalist that, if you are experiencing cardiac arrest, a good dose of either hot pepper, ginger or cinnamon can relieve some of the stress on the heart, making the attack less severe.

• robeb
    11 years ago

everybody knows that peppers can make you go number two lol.

I've been eating them for years and they don't do that to me.
    Is this a joke that went over my head?

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Robeb....Try eating a 7 pot. It's the only one that has that affect on me. It has had that affect 2 out of 2 times I've eaten it!

Tim

• willardb3
    11 years ago

Curanderos in M�jico prescribe chile for digestive/intestinal problems.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals