Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoontok

Life expectancy of pepper plants?

shoontok
13 years ago

Hello all ya hot pepper freaks.

Being that this is my first year growing my own peppers and have about 8 to 10 varieties growing in the yard... i lost track and dont feel have the mental energy to count all of em right now, i was wondering if all pepper plants will survive another season if I treat them accordingly and overwinter them properly inside to plant them again next season.

Im definetly not gonna save the large mutlitude of plants overwinter. maybe just 4 plants i will save being that i will use one windowsill withe best sun and also have a sunlight type flourescent bulbs over head that window.

So far im thinking about saving one carribean red and my only cayenne plant. And possibly 2 more plants of any of the following..... Hungarian Wax, Habanero, Serrano, Hot Cherry pepper, Jalapeno, maybe even one of the Bell varietes i have.

Guess my question is that how many seasons can ya get out of one plant or is really dependent on variety?

Any info on this topic much appreciated.

Jim

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

All chiles are perennial, so there's no reason that they can't live many years.
    I've heard of peppers regularly growing for five, eight, or even twelve years.

Three years ago, someone posted a link to growing Hot Peppers as Bonsai.
    As soon as I learned that chiles could be grown for more than a year, I decided
    to see exactly how long I could keep a plant alive. And that's what started my
    adventures in hot peppers - not heat, not color, not flavor....just longevity.

My first year, I bought six Hungarian Wax Peppers.
    I selected one for over-wintering, and twice now I've been successful. I think that
    the harvest is more bountiful and of higher quality on older plants.

Josh

• tsheets
    13 years ago

Just from reading here, it seems like some folks get about 4-5 years and then they start over. Not sure exactly why, but, it seems that way.

When you get ready to bring them in, be sure to trim back the top and roots and clean the plant/roots as much as possible, and use fresh potting mix. You will (almost guaranteed) have insect problems at some point. By cleaning them up really well (I used a hose to spray the roots as clean as possible), you'll stave that off as much as you can. But, be prepared to fight the invaders at some point in the Winter. :-)

• trfanatic
    13 years ago

Hi, I had a seven year old Red Savina that I shouldn't have left with my mom to care and she promptly killed. I currently have a 5 year old and also some younger Bhut Jolokia, they are basically trees. I hope to keep the five year old for many more years. I don't do anything special when I bring them in for the winter, but as mentioned Ladybugs are my best friend.

Hope this helps,

Ravi

• EcoPhreek
    13 years ago

Here's the site about bonsai chili.

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful hopefully

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Most of what i've read here says to bring them in. I'm in a "mild winter" climate. Can I just cover them and protect from frost? Do they go dormant?

I'm just learning that they can live for more than one year. ;) I only have one plant at the moment, but are planning on getting more ..
    All your fault Josh. ;) (Hello Josh) :)

JoJo

13 years ago

Yep, that's the bonsai (bonchi) guide that's been posted many times.
    That's what gave me the inspiration.

Hey, JoJo! Peppers go "dormant" (well, radically slow their growth) below about 50°F.
    It's the root-zone, rather than the foliage, with which one should be primarily concerned.

Some plants will scrape by at these low temps....but they'll look the worse for wear.

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hello!
    Josh, Thank you! :)
    So do they go in a sunny window when brought in?
    I keep my house very warm in the winter. Will they keep growing? and will it hurt them to keep growing? If so, what's the best way/place to winter them?

tsheets~ you suggest triming and repoting. Do you put it in a small container?
    Mine is in a large one at the moment outside. Too large to bring in really.

Thanks,
    JoJo

• datil
    13 years ago

Hi Dastil here, I have been growing Datil Pepper Plants for 30+ years, I am native to St.Augustine, Fl, But now live in N.E. Tn. I have kept Datil Plants for up to 7+ years. I have winterized the Ghost and Scorpion in my basement for 4+ months, They are 10+' tall this year, to large to winterize again, I feed my chili plants rabbit manure when outside, 2 plants gave me several hundred pods, the Scorpion grew faster than the Ghost, The Datil is one of the most tasteful peppers you will ever find, plus they are right below the habaneros with their heat wayne@datilsensation.com

13 years ago

Yep, I just set them in a sunny window-sill.

If you keep the root-zone warm, and provide sufficient light, a pepper will grow year-round.

Josh

• Pam McGivern
    7 years ago

I planted a Thai child pepper in a med size pot & have brought it indoors right before the freeze hits Napa, CA now twice. It is doing great! I have a Serrano pepper I planted in a larger pot this summer & brought that in at the same time. It's doing great! In fact both still have peppers on them. I have them in a spot in front of a French for that never gets opened & it gets good morning light.

• Lars
    7 years ago

I have lots of chilies on my plants right now, even after harvesting a bunch of them this afternoon, and my plants grow well all year - they do not slow down during the winter, but temperatures do not go much below 50° here. I do have a hard time getting some of them started, however, and so I have been starting seeds indoors. I have plants that are over two years old that have not been moved from their outdoor location, but as they get older, the chilies get smaller, and that is why I start new plants. I generally also get some volunteer plants and keep those as well. I tend to get lots of chilies in December, January, and February, and then they slow down a bit by April but pick back up by June.

I need to look into the bonzai aspect. I have one Chocolate Habanero that got spindly at the top but is putting out a lot of new growth at the bottom, and so I have trimmed off the upper branches, hoping that the plant will regrow from the bottom.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Whaaaooo, we resurected a 6 year old thread.

• smokemaster_2007
    7 years ago

My Habanero De Arbol (orange) was 15yrs. old when Broad Mites killed my whole garden.

15 ft. high , 12 ft. wide plant-Tons of pods!

It is Very Productive!

Smoke

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!