Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most uniquely flavored... (question)

Posted by dirtmonkey z8 OR (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 21:40

What would you say are the most flavorful (other flavors, not heat) peppers out there? Fruitiest of the habanero types, most fragrant of the jalapeo types, etc?

I'm also looking to try new and unusual kinds next year, with a focus on these other flavors, and hopefully several with more noticeable flavor than heat, for making some unique sauces and so on, but with the peppers adding the main flavors, more than added fruits or spices.

I'm already thinking of winter 2009 holiday gifts LOL.

Thanks for any ideas!

Vincent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most uniquely flavored... (question)

Fatalis and Bih Jolokias are pretty fruity and good tasting but deadly hot.

o

I sent many varieties including bhutj's, devils tongues, rtc to a friend, and someone he knows took my jamaican chocolate habaneros and made an ice cream topping out of them.!!! I don't have the recipe for that yet, but everyone who had them said it was delicious!! Not chocolate of course, but the combination of heat and carmelized butter and sugar and the chilis I guess!! TiMo

o

Obviously, Paprika.

Tobago is unique and good. It blends well and accentuates the flavor of sauted onions. A problem with Tobago is that it is inconsistently hot. The heat can vary from undetectable to as hot as an habanero (on the same plant).

o

Lemon drop / Aji Lemon are great. Tobasco is too. Madame Jeanette also. I could go on and on. :)

Chris

o

"Tobasco is too."

What is unusual about the flavor of Tabasco? It tastes almost the same as Cayenne to me. It is unusually juicy, though.

o

The first time I tried a Manzano (also known as rocoto) pepper I thought it had the best flavor of any pepper. It is hot but you do not taste the heat at first, just an intense fruitiness. The heat is a little like a delayed reaction. We are trying so hard to grow them...(we have a few seedlings, grown larger than we have so far).

We are also growing (and collecting fruit) from habaneros and Scotch bonnets. Both very flavorful with a similar aroma and fruitiness.

o
Ice Cream Topping

rootdoctor, you say that a friend of a friend "took my jamaican chocolate habaneros and made an ice cream topping out of them.!!!" I would be really grateful if you could track down that recipe and post it here.

o

2 habaneros diced very fine
4 T butter non salted
1/4 cup brown sugar 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk or cream
1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries

melt butter over low heat, add diced habs (no seeds)
cook and mash the habs for 3-5 minutes, add brown sugar stir constantly until melted, add vanilla and cream
cook stirring constantly until caramel like consistancy.

add strawberries and serve over vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

the combination of HOT and cold and HOT and sweet is simply amazing.

I like it better when I used my Red Savina hybrids - they have a slightly cinnamon after taste.

I sent a recipe to Ben and Jerry's but the bas..rds just now claim to own it and say they will prosecute me if I send it on to anyone, so here it is for everyone.

Even folks that are afraid of chili peppers enjoyed this, most asked for seconds heheheheheh.

Enjoy it!! TiMo

o

Rootdoctor, Thanks for posting that recipe! I only have jalepenos currently, so I'll try it with those. I hope to get more pepper varieties in the garden this year! I'm thinking this would be a good end to our Christmas dinner! THANK YOU!!

o

I am not a fan of the strong chinense flavor or the super hots which overwhelm my taste buds and leave me with only burning. For fresh use in salsas, etc. I mostly use jalapeno or serrano or milder baccatums or pubescens. Some that I liked from last couple of years.

Kavalerova Paprika--mild heat,hint of sweet, nice flavor

Spanish Spice--one of the few hybrids I grow-no heat but very tasty large pepper--avaiable from Tomato Growers Supply

Aji Amarillo--quite hot but nice flavor

Cochiti--moderate heat,nice flavor

Jaloro--moderate heat, nice flavor

Rocoto, Giant Red--moderate heat,nice flavor with hint of sweet

Bulgarian Spicy--hot but with a nice flavor

Cosa Arrugada de Viejo--mild heat-nice flavor with hint of sweet

Chupetinho--nice sweet taste with moderate heat

Costeno Amarillo--moderate heat nice flavor

Kaleidoscope--hot,nice taste

o

Is that 4 tbs of butter or 4 tsp?

o

• Posted by cabrita 9b & 10a (21 & 23) (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 18, 08 at 18:12

I recently had the opportunity to try datil peppers and collect some seeds, my brother in law sent me some from Florida. Very tasty. I made a salsa that got rave reviews. I will be growing them next year.

o

T = Tablespoons. Enjoy it!! I don't think Japs will taste very good tho. Use some Habs from the grocery instead. Fiedlemeister, I would love to have the variet you do, next year should be that year heehee. TiMo

o

I'm sitting here itching to try the Ice Cream topping. Don't have all the ingredients, but I will definitely try that out in the very near future :) Yum. Thanks TiMo!

o

I grew two I just loved this year. Try Pulla and Kalocsai-V2. Both had a nice fruity flavor. Both had the heat of a Hungarian Hot Wax. Kalocsai-V2 is a Hungarian style hot pepper that is red. The pullas are a long slender hot pepper that turn a beautiful shade of red. I also agree about the Lemon drop / Aji Lemon. I grew all of these for the first time this past summer. I'll be growing all of these again.

o

I'm gonna use 1 Naga Morich and 1 Red savina for the ice cream recepe. That should be good.

o

We just tried it! Had to go to 3 grocery stores before we found habaneros! It was exceptional!! Thanks so much for the recipe! The strawberries make it extra special! Yummmy!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here