Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepper_rancher

Naga Jolokia from ebay ?

pepper_rancher
16 years ago

I ordered a bunch of seeds from ebay. Some were sold as "Naga Jolokia" but I have read some of the comments about some being called that but are really something different. Can someone identify this young plant grown from a seed that was labeled Naga Jolokia?

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/88/cimg0015ye7.jpg

THANKS!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1212879}}

Comments (48)

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

looks exactly like my naga jolokia when it was just a couple of weeks old

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SUPER! I was really hoping i wasnt ripped off (since i have no idea what im doing)

Did the peppers come out hot? :)

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

I got seeds in mid April. It's still growing and none of the peppers have ripened yet. I tried an unripened pepper and it wasn't that spicy, it mostly made my forehead sweat. I'm hoping that the peppers will become spicier once they ripen.

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

That is not the super hot pepper that recently hit the Guiness Book of World Records. It is called Naga Jolokia, a C. Annuum or C. Frutescens. The real thing is a C. Chinense. It goes by many names: Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, Naga Morich, Ghost Pepper and other names (all similar variations at least).

There seem to be some Ebay sellers selling wrong stuff. As to it being intentional or just plain not knowing differently, it's still not fair to the buyer when they are expecting the real thing. Especially when they pay $15 for seeds!

Chris

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sigh... not what I wanted to hear, but what I was afraid of...

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, read this auction, is anything in it wrong or misleading... if it is, i will ask for my money back based on the fact that these are NOT the "hottest pepper in the world"

---Ebay listing description---

Naga Jolokia Seeds

"The Hottest Pepper in the World"

The new title holder, according to experts at the Defence Research Laboratory in the army garrison town of Tezpur in the north-eastern state of Assam, is the local Naga Jolokia (capsicum frutescens).

ÂNaga Jolokia tested 855,000 Scoville Units as compared to 577,000 for the ÂRed Savina Habanero....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~WOW....THAT'S HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~

Growing Information:

Plant produces good yields of 2 ½" long by 1" wide by hot peppers. Peppers are extremely hot and turn from green, to orange-red, to red when mature (mature in 100 plus days from seed). Plant has dark green leaves, green stems, and white flowers.

"You will receive 50 hand-packed "fresh for 2007" seeds.

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also, this is the picture that was in the listing, is this the C. Frutescens or the C. Chinese pictured?

Here is a link that might be useful: what pepper is this?

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

since there are several types of jolokia peppers, there are going to be some morphological differences with the pods. The link you posted pepper_rancher is a picture of the bhut jolokia pepper. The pods of a bhut jolokia tend to be sub-conical. A naga jolokia pepper is more likely to be thin and conical.

• willardb3
    16 years ago

If you stop buying chile seeds on e-bay and buy from a reputable seed purveyor you will have better results and way less agita.

"Buyers remorse" is what you are suffering.....ask questions before you get ripped off.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

my peppers and pepper plant look very similar to this picture
    http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006-09/hottest-chili-pepper-naga-jolokia.jpg

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

I believe I saw that ad on Ebay a couple of days ago. If so, it's quite misleading.

One hint, no one is selling 50 Naga Morrich or Bhut Jolokia pepper seeds for any reasonable price right now. Most sellers are out to make a nice buck on them due to the "hype" they've received this year. Getting 10 seeds for less than $5 is a struggle from commercial sources. That being said, "If it's too good to be true, you know the rest."

Chris

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

well we're not talking about purchased bhut or morrich pepper seeds, we are talking about naga jolokia, since naga jolokia is slightly less hot than bhut and morrich, it doesn't sell out as fast.

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, thanks all for your comments, I will get a refund through paypal since specific details in the listing were lies...

Does anyone know, what is the scoville rating (range) of this particualar pepper?

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

855,000 Scoville Units, just like it said, but with jolokias, humidity is key to it's spiciness. Too little humidity and the heat of the pepper will be up to 50% less than normal. (http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/may252005/1545.pdf)

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

Open Window Maniac,

I think you may be missing something here. Naga Jolokia, the C. Frutescens or C. Annuum species, is NOT a C. Chinense. Naga Morrich is in the 850,000 to 950,000 SHU range. Naga Jolokia is lucky to be at 100,000 SHU. What really muddies the picture is Dr. Paul Bosland reported a pepper called Naga Jolokia from India years ago. That used to be the name for the pepper now termed Bhut Jolokia or variants of them.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in heat between the C. Annuum and C. Chinense versions of Naga Jolokia. I grew Naga Jolokia last year. It wasn't anything special. One sliver of the C. Chinense version and you're head is likely to be spinning in a daze.

I know the terminology is very confusing. I just want to make sure Pepper Rancher understands. :) This confusion makes it even easier for sellers to make a buck and not do research.

Chris

• User
    16 years ago

What Chris said! Welcome to the confusing world of pepper names.

• koreyk
    16 years ago

you can present the picture and its url and show that what they sold you was not correct. I would not get into a lot of detail with paypal. just show you were sold the wrong stuff. the picture proves it.

http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/academic.html?i=1251#BHUT%20JOLOKIA%20IS%20HERE!

below is the picture url

http://ucommphoto.nmsu.edu/newsphoto/bosland_paul_chile.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: story

• shelbyguy
    16 years ago

well, if humidity is what she likes, we have plenty of it, this year.

this is what my bhut jolokia, from nmsu/chile pepper institute seedstock, looks like:

{{gwi:1212884}}
    {{gwi:1212886}}

• koreyk
    16 years ago

Wow that looks like a great yield. I hope you are going to save some seeds. Wanna Trade ????

How big are your pots. I am going to guess about 18 gallon totes. with garden soil.

When did you plant the seeds. I wonder if they will ripen early or late. I heard they ripen kind of late.

I am zone 5 also. I have to watch those things in zone 5.

• hendrik_vanderdekin
    16 years ago

Those rough textured pods look evil hot Lol.

I think these super hot types should come with a built in warning as to how bad they can burn you if you don't take proper precautions.

I grow a lot of peppers but I grow ones I can eat.

What are you guys going to do with pods that carry 700,000 to a 1,000,000 SU?

I think one pod would heat up at least a gallon or more of sauce like the 7 pot pepper reputedly can.

• web_of_hair
    16 years ago

* Posted by hendrik_vanderdekin Northern Cal (feesh_meister@yahoo.com) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 0:14

Those rough textured pods look evil hot Lol.

I think these super hot types should come with a built in warning as to how bad they can burn you if you don't take proper precautions.

I grow a lot of peppers but I grow ones I can eat.

What are you guys going to do with pods that carry 700,000 to a 1,000,000 SU?

ya know I have asked myself that and have yet to have an answer. Aboot the only thing I've been able to do with them is say I am growing them... The only thing planned is when I have the first ripe one there will be a Naga Taste Party.. a nice slice of Naga on a nacho....

I am going to have many peppers and only from one plant too!

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

i'll be willing to take any spare seeds:)

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

You just need to eat them enough where they seem mild. OK, I am outta my mind because I sure am no where near that point. lol. I just like looking at the fruit because they are so neat looking.

Chris

• koreyk
    16 years ago

I know a guy who likes to macho claim nothing is hot enough for him. I would love to have him bite into one of these and watch his eyes open wide. haha

• hendrik_vanderdekin
    16 years ago

I make sauce in three gallon batches but I use Purira's, sometimes when the batch just doesn't have the zing I want I'll toss in a Red Savanna or orange Hab or two to boost the heat, or a teaspoon of Dave's "Total Insanity" also works.

I just hope people realise that when you are messing with these super peppers giving one to someone to try as a joke might actually hurt them.

Some of our members on another board have discovered that when useing these Jokias or the Trinidad Scorpions it almost requires full NBC gear to stay safe from the effects. (NBC Protection gear is Bio Chemical military protection)

The juce has actually raised blisters in some cases and caused quite a bit of discomfort in unprotected hands.

Just becareful.

• web_of_hair
    16 years ago

Some of our members on another board have discovered that when using these Jokias or the Trinidad Scorpions it almost requires full NBC gear to stay safe from the effects. (NBC Protection gear is biochemical military protection)

The juice has actually raised blisters in some cases and caused quite a bit of discomfort in unprotected hands.

Just be careful.I think there are only a handful of numb nuts that will treat these peppers as jokes.... I already have industrial rubber gloves and a gas mask for the seasoning and sauce making from these peppers.....

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

ha, i have 911:)

• thepodpiper
    16 years ago

I have been taking my peppers to work and sharing them with everyone at lunch time some will try them and some won't and i have been talking up the Naga Morich and how hot it is everyone tells me that they will try it because they don't believe that anything can be that hot well Saturday was the day that the first Naga Morich was fully ripe. Mind you this Naga was the first off of this particular plant and it was very small there were about 20 guys at work on Saturday and about 25 to 30 came to the BBQ. I cut up the pepper in very small pieces so that everyone would get a taste. Now the funny part, first let me tell you that these are all Ironworkers the ones that walk on steel and are as tuff as nails and nothing can hurt them well this little Naga brought tears and blisters and a lot of laughs. I told everyone to make sure that they do not rub there eyes but I forgot to tell them to be careful when they went to the bathroom, there was alot of discomfort yesterday.

These peppers are very hot and should not be taken lightly. That is just my opinion.

Dale

• shelbyguy
    16 years ago

koreyk, you sure you would want the seeds they produce? the bhut jolokia is in front of a chocolate hab and to the right of a red savina :) should be an interesting cross, if it did in fact cross.

i broke open one that turned darker green and shiny, figuring it was going to ripen soon. i thought i'd check out the flavor before the heat takes over. so i brush it on the tongue a bit, and wait...typical chinense creeper heat, with a bit of the fruitiness of an orange hab. very hot.

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, just an update...
    I got a refund from the seller, he isnt intentionally selling the seeds with the wrong description, im not even sure he understands what the difference is now.

Anyway, we agreed and he refunded me $21 out of ~$27 and I am keeping the 100 seeds (already planted) that he did send me (for $6 instead of $27...)

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

$27?! wow, i only payed $3 for mine. I ate a couple today, they are as hot as thai peppers:)

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I paid $6 for 100.
    Open window, you also have the 'fake' ones (not the really hot ones right?)
    I wouldnt pay that much for the ones we have. (willingly)

• balsamicv
    16 years ago

Dave your story is really funny. It always is nice to prove them wrong. And with everyone laughing we know it will be a good conversation for a long time to come.

I am new here but I would like to try these if anyone has any seeds please keep me in mind.

Congratulations on getting $21 back. You did OK. I would not complain.

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

i'm not upset that i have fake ones, i'm happy with the ones i have:)

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Im happy too now that I didnt get completely ripped off. Now what to do with all of these 'fake' plants... lol

• groworganic
    16 years ago

Hope you people are doing well.

I really want to grow some hot hot peppers indoor/outdoor. I am looking to grow the hot stuff only.

Can anyone please tell me where could I purchase the seeds online?

BTW, the pics are great. Thanks for posting.

Alnoor.

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One more question about my "fake" nagas...
    how big should these peppers get before harvesting, and what color?
    Thanks!

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

mine are at least 2 inches long. They turn red

• dangould
    16 years ago

you might find seeds here.

Here is a link that might be useful: catalog

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

open window,
    i have a bunch that are 2 inches now... about how long would you expect until they turn red??

Also, what happens if you harvest green peppers? Will they turn red eventually off of the plant?

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

Mine took more than a month to ripen. I'm not sure but i think green peppers will ripen if you take them off the plant. Then again, i could be wrong.

• web_of_hair
    16 years ago

• open_window_maniac
    16 years ago

web_of_hair, those don't look like fake naga jolokia peppers, they look like bhut jolokias

• trfanatic
    16 years ago

I disagree they are too short and the wrong shape.

Ravi

{{gwi:1212890}}

• then_then
    16 years ago

I unfortunately had a similar experience. I bought from an online seller advertising Naga Jolokia, when in fact, the pepper is a pc-1 (also known as Tezpur). I think that the problem is a linguistic one - there are more languages spoken in Assam than you might believe. Bhut Jolokia, Naga Jolokia etc. refer to the same pepper in different languages (Assamese, Hindi, Naga etc.). My best friend is Assamese but was unfortunately back home for the summer and couldn't warn me in time that I had the wrong thing. When he came back, however, what he told me was that the pepper I am growing (which looks a lot like Cayenne) is a more common ingredient in the kitchen. The bhut Jolokia's are also common in the kitchen, but are considered to be good for your stomach and are frequently eaten raw. His family typically eat the bhut after a meal. He mentioned that when used in cooking, it is added to a dish later (not in the oil at the beginning) and is often eaten with dried fish.
    At any rate, I don't have any inclination to go after the seller. He has since changed his description to pc-1, and for my part I will purchase most if not all of my pepper seeds from the pepper institute. Their prices are reasonable, and there is no doubt about what you are getting.

So you know, the pc-1's are pretty damn hot - though I can see why they are not eaten raw; not much flesh and the heat tends to hit you in the gullet rather than the mouth. Oh well,... next year!

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What are these peppers good to use for?
    I ate one of the green ones, it tasted like a hot green bean...
    Im not exactly sure what im going to use these for...
    can i make a good hot sauce or powder or what with these?
    anyone have experience?

• Dan Klinge
    14 years ago

I have been through the same thing... I bought some "Bhut Jolokia" seeds from Pattysplace757 on Ebay. Here is what my plants look like... Maybe I was just too stoked on getting the seeds that I didn't really read her description as well as I should have. She's changed it and is now selling them as what they are...http://cgi.ebay.com/NAGA-JOLOKIA-PEPPER-SEEDS-/250610848762?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3a599213fa#ht_500wt_1101

From Garden 2010

Here is a link that might be useful: