Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheezdoodle12

One jalapeno plant and a downpour

cheezdoodle12
11 years ago

I just spent about 45 minutes trying to remove an over abundance of water from one of my jalapeno plants. We had a really bad downpour a few days ago, and have not seen much sun either. The planter has one of those raised bottoms inside, but apparently no hole at the bottom.

So... I picked up a few tips on this site about creating a wick.. and tipping the pot on its side slightly which shifted the water level. For the wick, I used an old towel cut in strips, but it wasn't going to happen.. LOL. As soon as I started to poke a little hole in to stick the towel in, it was like the tide coming in. The water level was so high a little towel just wasn't going to work. I proceeded to my kitchen drawer and found a turkey baster.. yep. I dug a trench and with that turkey baster, I was able to pull out more than 10 cups of rain water. I did as much as I could and now the towel is in there to sop up the rest hopefully. The poor plant has that familiar yellow overwatered look so I'm hoping it'll recover from this. I don't have any special mixes but I did add in Perlite and Vermicite(? spelling) to MG in this container but didn't think to check the bottom for a drainage hole.

Unbelievable what some of us will go through for our pepper plants!!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County