Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romy6

Romy6 garden update

romy6
12 years ago

Well it has been hotter than hell but my prized plants are doing well. Here are a few pics of my plants

My choclate habs are doing well in the shade!

My 5 week old bhut .

Aji Lemon

And my favorite bug in the world. The garden assassin. He or she eats stink bugs!

Comments (93)

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Hey Jamie, your chilivoodoo dance sent the storm
    to virginia. What's up with that!

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda I am so sorry. I hope you and your family are okay. My voodoo did not work very well. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Here are a couple pics !
    Mystery

Datil

My meanest looking pod!

And last my choco hab

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Just joking... We didn't loose power, everybody's fine, so are the
    peppers. Around this time of the year my peppers are looking a
    little tired anyway. Yours are looking good. Your mystery pepper
    is some kind of hab.

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Man Linda you had me worried. I am glad you are alright. Thanks for the comlpiments. I should have some nice 7 pod pics from some of the seeds you sent me if all goes well! I will keep you posted.

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a small harvest from Tuesday and a shot of my favorite peppers.

And my favorite shot

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

nice pics as always my friend! I never get that many chiltepins back to the house mostly I snack on them while I pick other peppers ;)
    paul

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah Chef Paul it took me 10 minutes to pick those chiltepins about 2 minutes to pick the rest.

• wayright
    12 years ago

With wonderful love like that around your plants, you cant go wrong Jamie!
    Great stuff man!!!

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Those peppers are so colorful it looks like a cartoon picture. What are those really small round ones?
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Nice unique spread of peppers, Jamie!
    That shot of your helper is great, too. What a fine season you've had so far!

Josh

• brucesghostpepperz
    12 years ago

excellent haul! (and what a great helper :) it will be a tasty season to try some fall recipes/sauces. we're thinking of doing a pepper rub turkey this year, with peppered cranberry sauce. not sure about the mixture, yet but we'll be doing some experimenting with cranberries over the next few weeks.

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

btw essox, those are chiltepins, they are reasonably hot and full of juice and flavor, not unlike a smaller hotter tobasco!
    paul

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

btw essox, those are chiltepins, they are reasonably hot and full of juice and flavor, not unlike a smaller hotter tobasco!
    paul

• kosherbaker
    12 years ago

Dang those are some nice shots, but still no names. Are you gonna start naming what's in your pictures or are we gonna have to send people over to your place to "Take Care" of the problem ...... :) :D
    I think we all love your favorite shot though ....

Congrats, what a Blessing from all sides.
    Rudy

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Nice Jamie... I had sowed a couple seeds to chiletepen this spring
    and thought the plant had died because I couldn't find it. There
    was one little plant without the label and it was a wimpy looking
    thing. It turned out to be the chilitepin. It's not a really large
    plant right now, but for it's size it has lots of little red peppers.
    I am going to overwinter it.

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Kevin. I am a blessed man!

Bruce , thanks for the compliment, and Paul is correct chiltepin!

The other Bruce lol, i would love to get your recipe for that turkey rub. It sound delicious:) And I do have the best garden helpers on the planet.

Josh, it has been a season I will never forget. Every chilihead deserves a xtra long grow season like myself!

Kosher. Thanks for the props. Sorry about slacking on the pepper names. Here they be- top left red savina,jalapeno,carribean red, middle chiltepin on far left,aji lemon upper middle, naga jolakia pc1 middle,datil lower middle, chocolate habs far right, purple jalapeno bottom right, and mystery mini puprple jalapenos bottom left. Thanks for looking.

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Linda. Yeah my chiltepin is very resilliant. I guess those wilds live up to there name.

Thought I would share what I got in the mail this weekend. More chili love from Wayright!You could not imagine my reaction when I opened up the box.

It was choc full of 7 pod yellow,assam bhut's,T.S Morouga Blend,7 pod chocolate,Brain strain(7 pod variety),yellow bhuts and Douglah's . So I have tried the bhuts,7 pod choc,yellow bhut, and last night my wife and I had the Brain. Talk about some wicked heat but awesome flavor. The chocolate 7 and brain hurt me the most with the Brain strain taking top honors. Here is a couple close ups.
    TS Morouga Blend. This one scares me. Gonna try it tonight!

chocolate 7

assam bhut wicked looking and tasting!

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Couple more pics. Brain Strain. The wife and I split one last night with dinner. When I cut it in half the flavor almost knocked me out. It was dripping in oil . My mouth and throat burned for it seemed like eternity. It had a very earthy taste to it. But after a second I couldn't taste anything.

7 pod yellow

And one more whole shot. Thank you again Kevin.

12 years ago

Wow, that is some chile love!

Josh

• wayright
    12 years ago

Those look hot Jamie!
    Happy to share with you my Brother!
    I'm glad to hear that you been diggin the different heat levels!

Kevin

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Nice garden and cute kids.

Those peppers did OK in the mail? How far/long was it? I'm thinking of sending some peppers to the West Coast (I'm in New England) but didn't know how they'd do. Guess it's not 100+ any more in most places so air mail/Priority should be OK?

• brucesghostpepperz
    12 years ago

jamie: wow, what a box full there!

yes, we're still experimenting for the right amount of the turkey ghost rub. we typically soak the whole turkey overnight in mojo sauce -- you wouldn't believe how tender the results! the next morning we drain most of the sauce but leave a bit to mix with drippings, along with butter and ghost rub seasoning on skin before going into oven. the mixture is our concoction of onion, garlic, cayenne and ghost powder, as well as a few surprises from the pantry and some freshly dried herbs like basil from our garden. once turkey is done,we then take some of the drippings to use for gravy, with fresh sliced mushrooms. definitely lots of blessings this year!

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Josh. Kev has a lot of love to spread.Have you seen his garden lately. It is sick!

Kevin It is nice to hear from ya. You were right about the Douglah. It is not for the faint at heart or back a me throat:)

Aj's mama! Thank you for the kind words. I think they took about 3 days to arrive. They were in perfect condition. I have sent fresh peppers to California ( I live in Florida) in a small flat rate box. Took about 3 days and they were fine. If you do it next day air they will be prestine!

Bruce. That mojo sounds fantastic. Do you have room for 4 more this thanksgiving. I could be there in about a 3 1/2 hour drive down I4 lol. And you must send me some of that tasty rub!

Here is link if anyone would like to read my reviews .

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper reviews

12 years ago

Hey! I saw Kevin's most recent video, but I sure want to see more!
    His yard is a veritable pepper jungle!

When I mail peppers, I try to pick them just before they've fully ripened;
    that way they'll be coloring up in transit and perfect when they arrive.

Speakin' of Thanksgiving...my brother made Chipotle sweet potatoes last year.
    One pepper per two potatoes, along with a tablespoon of the adobo/chipotle sauce.

Josh

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh you know you can always check out his garden anytime on the THP.

Yeah I try to pick mine about 90 percent ripe. That usually does the trick.

Man those sweet peppers sound scrumptous. I need to get my brothers into spicy foods. They are a couple of non chili eating bland individuals!

Jamie

12 years ago

Keep at it!
    Just yesterday, one of my buddies (very heat sensitive) ate his first Thai chile.
    The heat haunted him for about ten minutes (which was about six minutes longer than I could detect heat).
    Anyhow, slow and steady wins the race... ;-)

THP...I never thought of that. I think I've visited that forum about three times total.

Josh

• brucesghostpepperz
    12 years ago

josh, thanks for the tip on the sweet potatos, sounds like a great combo with the turkey rub and hot cranberry dressing. ah, thankspepper!

romy, always room at our table! sadly, i think we'll be up in NY to move my family down to FL because they were hit by the recent floods and house is in bad shape. good news, we'll have more yard space for peppering, yikes!

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will keep on keeping on. I would say my heat level has risen dramatically in the last month( thanks to Kevin). The powders got me ready( i guess ) for the fresh. But the Brain and Douglah are off the charts. I would love to see you grow the Brain. Hint hint. And almost everyone's favorite the Douglah. Send me an email and we will make it happen!
    Bruce sorry to hear about your family but it sounds like it will be a plus for everyone. Still waiting on those pics of your Bhut's. And no not your butt. LOL

• peppermeister1
    12 years ago

Romy, those 7 Pod yellow look fantastic!
    My Serranos took a welcomed turn to the dark side this past week. All of august I was plucking these as they looked ripe and there was minimal heat, slightly more than your average grocery store jalapeno. This week, as they start to turn red, they have risen in heat and flavor. You can rarely find red ripe serranos in the grocery store (because they spoil faster than the green). I highly recommend letting these common chiles mature. I was doubting that I would even grow serranos this year, and I am glad i did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Visit PEPPERMEISTER for chile recipes, gardening tips and pepper info.

• brucesghostpepperz
    12 years ago

thanks, if we can master the video thing, we'll try to hook it up, yikes! otherwise, definitely some photos coming soon, sorry good in the garden but not so handy with the tech stuff, lol!

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I can't eat the super hot peppers fresh. I don't like pepper pain.
    Most of my peppers I'm making into a powder, a little goes a long
    way. Right now I'm sprinkling tobasco powder on my pizza, it
    sure is good.

Those are some nice peppers kevin sent you Jamie. I will be growing
    1 or 2 brain strain peppers next year.

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peppermeister. My wife does not like the Jal's red so I pick them when they start corking. Seem to have the most heat as well. Mine seem to loose heat as the ripen.

Bruce, I suck at this computer thing too I just have a lot of good friends that help me.

Linda. I prefer the super hots dried as well. They really hurt me the next day fresh. But every chilihead should experience the rush of eating a piece of a super hot chili!

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are a few pics over the weekend!
    Hera are my 3 bhut's . The one on the left has trippled in size. You can scroll up the thread and see him on august 17th with my boy!

Dorsett Naga

Chocolate hab

Aji lemon

And my monster datil. By far the biggest, healthiest plant I have ever grown in a container.

12 years ago

Most excellent!
    It's nice to see that both kids are number 1! ;-)

You've got some nice huge leaves on that Bhut, too!

Josh

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well received some more love from Wayright last night. Thought I would show off a bit!

Kevin is a good man!

And a couple pods. 1st is Doresett naga. Second is naga jolakia pc1 c. frutescens

And yes I have an Aphid problem. Will be gone this weekend i hope. Gonna blast em hard!

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Dude!! That's awesome!!

12 years ago

Man, what sweet pics! Kevin is awesome...and so are you, Jaime!
    Thanks for the hot pepper love you sent my way. I can vouch for Jaime's Chocolate Habs
    and Dorsets...they are hot, indeed. And the Datil peppers are simply delicious.

Josh

• vic01
    12 years ago

Jamie, awesome peppers and darlings too. Wayright sent a treasure trove of great peppers I see. A suggestion for those lost tags on plants. Get some paint pens in the crafts section of Walmart..they work terrific!!!! AJ's wife is the one who suggested it, just passing it along. It's what he uses. Thanks for the seeds and I have some hotter ones now that our garden is winding down, I'll send them your way. Jackie aka pepperfever on THP

• brucesghostpepperz
    12 years ago

thanks for all the photo updates! and glad to see that you have two angels as helpers, you're very blessed!

we've been fortunate this season to avoid the aphids, you'll need some extra dragonfly power sent your way, lol.

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

T sheets thanks for checking it out.

Josh, I took great pleasure in passing you some heat. Just curious how the red savina's where?Do you think they were hotter than the Dorsett Naga? Any hoot can't wait to see those seeds sprout for ya next year!

Hey Jackie long time no hear.It is funny that you say use a marker cause I have recently been marking all my pots with a permanent marker( lil angel can't remove them). Glad to hear your garden beat the aphids. Now If I could only get rid of mine. And your gonna love that African Tunisian. Great for stuffing and grilling!

Hey Bruce. Thank you for looking and yes I am so blessed to have my angels. If you have any extra dragonfly powder send it my way. Straight down I4. LOL

• brucesghostpepperz
    12 years ago

romy: seems that the dragonflies are not as plentiful as they were earlier this summer, but we're still seeing several arounh here ... so we'll definitely send some up I4 your way :) still quite a few ladybugs, too -- which is a good thing because we've noticed a few more aphids this week, yikes!

12 years ago

Hey, Jaime!

Savinas were definitely hot (and very sweet), but that particular Dorset pod you sent....
    man, that was an inferno! That was hotter than any other pepper I've had this year.

Josh

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is sweet my brotha. I just had a naga and it got me good. Still weird that the savina wasn't that hot. Thanks Josh

12 years ago

You know, it could just be that I burned out my mouth a bit on a week-long binge of superhots.... ;-)

Josh

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It has been a while since my last post. Here are a few pics. Here are some yellow cardi scorps, chocolate bhuts, brain strain ( the largest guy) and 1 loan Douglah.

Remember the Bhut's I started a few months ago. They have grown a bit.

My largest Brain Strain in middle,bhut on left, and dorsett naga on right.

And a couple pod shots red savina

Red savna again

And a couple pi assentions

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It has been a while and i thought i would show some pics of my peppers.
    7 pot/pod brainstrain

7 pot douglah very small but has potential

7 pod red

african tunisian making a comeback

And my bhut is pumping out pods finnally!

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

couple more pics
    7 pod brain strain

yellow cardi scorp

7 pod barrackpore

And my bhut jolakia( very strange torpedo shape )

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Must be nice to grow outside in December. Looks like the weather is not the only warm thing in your area right now.
    Bruce

• romy6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes indeed it is. I am blessed with year round outdoor growing. Thank Bruce and have a Happy Holiday .

12 years ago

Jaime, you lucky son of a gun!

Meanwhile, I have only my Hungarian sittin' on the window-sill....

Those torpedo Bhuts look like a cross to me.

Josh

Sponsored