Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Isolating A Pod For Seeds

Posted by obchili 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 22:15

Hi there. After much reading, I am ready to save a pod or two for seeds next year. But I would just like to run this by to make sure my thoughts are correct about what I will try.
1. Pick a stem with a bud on the end that has not yet opened.
2. Cover it with tulle or such material to stop another flower from touching it or pollen from another flower to pollenate it.
3. Once the flower opens and a pod is starting to show, I can safely remove the tulle and mark the stem so that I can save seeds from that pod.

Reason I ask is I have a lot of peppers growing and many varieties are touching and I would like to use those seeds next year, and or share with others. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Isolating A Pod For Seeds

You are right. Cover at bud stage and remove after the pod is formed. Then you would want to tag the pod(s).

o

The only thing I'd do differently is get a branch with several buds on it, that way if one or more drop you should have one or two that take. Although zn 3, you shouldn't have a problem with bud drop like we do in zone 6b and up.
Pam

o

Awesome, thank you. I also like the idea of covering a few pods together for possible flower drop.

o

Like others said.

I use row cover material, I find it cheaper and easier to work with than tulle.
I do branch ends and whole plants.

Bill

Branch:

o

Whole plant with a tomato cage around it:

o

Love that setup on the whole plant Bill. For sure to get those very 1st pods, which are often the best looking and biggest pods.

Kevin

o

I was in Joanne's store today. Tulles sell for about 2 bucks per yard. The width is also one yard, at least. I like tulle because they are not as air and light tight like row cover. No problem with wind , rain or watering. The white ones are almost transparent.

o

Dble post. Deleted the contents.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 8:40

o

I'm just lazy, I'd much rather pay $8 for 60 6x9 inch bags, they already have the drawstring and ready to go. I do have row cover, and I did the same thing as Bill a couple of years ago (except I used big rubber bands to hold it down around the pot lid) but, why I don't like it, I always seem to bag up an aphid or two and before long the plants are infested. At least with a branch, it's just the branch that's infested. ;-) And I've got a bunch right now that are. I walked out yesterday and there was a lacewing trying to get the aphids through the bag. sorry guy.
Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here