Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkrotten

Recommend a good sweet pepper variety

PunkRotten
10 years ago

Hello,

I am hoping to grow another 2-3 different sweet peppers next year. I am growing 10 variety of peppers now. Most are hot peppers, and the few sweets I have I am getting bored of them. Some varieties I might try are Marconi (red or gold) and Corno di Toro. I like sweet peppers for salads, fresh eating/snacking, frying/roasting for pita sandwiches/wraps. Any varieties you could recommend? If you have any for trade let me know. I got a bunch of different hot and sweet peppers I could trade you.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• rick_in_va
    10 years ago

Corno di Toro is one of my favorites. Carmen is the sweetest non-bell pepper you can find, esp. when ripe, but it is a hybrid. My favorite bell is Home Run. They are gigantic and prolific, very tasty. Jimmy Nardello is also an excellent non-bell.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

A few of my favorite sweets and grillers/roasters I grow are -
    Sweet Chocolate
    Lipstick
    Napoleon
    Havana'
    Carmen
    Marconi's - both gold and red
    Douce de Espangne
    Gypsy
    Italia
    Sweet Pickle

Corno di Toro Pepperone
    Friariello Pepperone
    Spanish Spice
    Tequila Sunrise
    Tollis Italian

• sjetski
    10 years ago

A newer one i've seen mentioned over the past few years is "Slonovo Uvo" aka elephant's ear. Pod production is supposedly decent for the pepper type, brix (sugar) levels are high, autumn pods don't go moldy etc etc.

Definitely on my list for next year, along with a few other new-to-me varieties.

I linked an established seller below to which i have no affiliation. For more info i would do a google or forum search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slonovo Uvo

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Flavorburst and Valencia. They are both bells, and really sweet flavor. I like Flavorburst cos OK summers can get hot, 100+ for days on end, and I found that no matter how how and dry it go they stayed really sweet.
    Pam

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

I've been having good results with the red marconi.

They are nice n sweet and have grown much better for me than traditional bell peppers.

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

Yummy Orange (bottom pepper in photo), it's open pollinated and VERY sweet. First year I've grown them, saved seed, intend to grow next year,

I've got two plants (from CCN) that were kinda crowded and shaded between tomatoes and cucumbers but have still born well. Very pleased with these. Wife loves them, that's what matters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Peppers_Top Five Sellers

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Nice bunch of peppers. Are those cream colored ones in the center Aribibi Gusano?
    Pam

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

Sorry, didn't see this till now; I had just picked those to make fermented hot sauce when I read this thread. Beginning at the bottom going counter clockwise:

Yummy Orange
    Aji Habanero
    Aji Crystal
    Serranno (green)
    Inca Red Drop
    Burpee Hot Lemon (center)
    ....and off in far right field is Carmine Habanero

The second ferment is just about done, I'm actually close to divvying the pureed peppers into 4 oz jars and canning it; another day or two maybe.

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 7:25

• tarolli2011
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I want to add a comment about a wonderful hybrid snacking peppers Yum Yum. So sweet, productive, few seeds. Better than grocery-store tomatoes.

Smaller plants. Can plant 12-15 inches apart. Would be great in pots. It is a hybrid. Please do not try to save seed.

Carmen mentioned earlier is very prolific, and not very good-tasting. I won't grow again. After trying many cultivars, my bells are almost all California Wonder. I read through many lists on garden web, and found that many people think it is still the best bell.

• kentishman
    5 years ago

My two favorite sweet peppers are Ashe County Pimiento and Crunch Sweet Orange. Ashe is an early producer and Crunch takes longer.

Here is Ashe County. On the small side but very thick juicy walls. It’s an heirloom from the NC mountains.

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!