Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexxluthor

Cold weather slow down 3 doing well

lexxluthor
9 years ago

Weather in New York is getting lousy quickly. The last 8 days or so the temperature has not been good.The hi has been 70 and mostly around 65 in 6 of the last seven days with lots of rain, Had a decent warm spell last month but super hots have slowed to a halt. Nights have been low 50's every night,Three varieties are doing well. Two varieties of thai's (Scorpion John) &(DMF) and a yellow jellybean(Inferno Greenhouse), All three from seed swap,

Comments (15)

• Enocelot
    9 years ago

I can sympathize, over here in Switzerland. Summer really never showed up.... that said, Winter was practically non- existent too. All the locals are calling it strange.

I blame the Chem Trails- they cover the skies here like a chessboard sometime, and are almost always present in some capacity. Even when the weatherman is saying "clear skies", the sky is seldom blue, but rather milky.... call me a conspiratist....

Two of my Scorps that I raised 100% in the greenhouse are budding, finally.

I am having OK production with my Jalapenos and anything cooler..... but Habeneros or hotter..... nada. Though the small plants are attractive and very healthy looking.... they are growing at a snails pace.

I am going to try my hand at over-wintering this year, for the first time, to see if I can hit the ground running next year,,, will also probably invest in some land for a largish greenhouse, and also dabble with grow lights, for the first time.

• scott123456
    9 years ago

I feel your pain! We had the worst winter I can remember and then summer never showed up. Went straight from spring to fall. Cold and rainy all summer long and snow right around the corner.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

@Enocelot strange indeed, it's been the mildest summer I can remember on the east coast PA/MD the lows in the 50's the past month has not done my peppers any good and the trees leaves have been changing like its fall.

Pic is above my house, thought you might want to see it.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Interesting pic! That's got to be a bunch of jets flying in formation, but they sure are spread out.

Dennis

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Sorry for your bad weather.
    But here by the Pacific Ocean (west WA), we have been having better than normal summer. Statistically, we should not get more than one day with highs reaching 86F+ ( 30 C) in whole summer. But so far we have had maybe 13 days with high in 86F ++ range even in mid 90s. We also had very unusual winter, with near record cold temps in 26 years. The Earth's atmospheric dynamic is a complex system. Even with today's satellite tracking and computer modeling, it is hard to predict.
    As they say : "weather" , we can all talk about it but nobody can do anything about it.

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

In New England we say, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes..."

• lexxluthor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's funny Mike.

• toolstack
    9 years ago

It has been strange weather this year! Winter just around the corner.....man I hate cold weather!
    Better luck next year.
    Randal

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Oh wait! That picture could be the trails of many jets flying along the same track at different times, as would many plans on approach to the same runway, spaced roughly evenly in time.

The prevailing wind at altitude would be perpendicular to the track (L to R in the pic). Wow, that's a lot of "created" cloud cover.

Dennis

• Enocelot
    9 years ago

Denis,

Vapor trails do not linger.

If you step out in your garden and see a jet with a 500 mile long trail behind it, go into your house and come back out in a half-our.... and that same trail is still in the sky, but slowly getting wider, it is filled with something besides only vapor - it probably has reflective aluminum oxide in it.

It isn't coincidence that Monsanto is developing Aluminum Oxide resistant seed.

It is not really science- blue skies are rare nowadays - if there aren't "real clouds" in the sky, they are generally "milky". At least here in Switzerland, all my farmer friends admit that - even though they are not "conspiracy theorist" types.

And by the way, here in Switzerland you can see four jets flying side by side, laying Trails.....

I just watched a beautiful blue sky sunrise turn milky while I walked my dog this morning.... I am 47 years old, and that just did not happen when I was a kid. Something has changed.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Well, jets put out more than water vapor. But aluminum oxide? Where would that be coming from?

Dennis

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Got me curious about contrails (vapor trails) I read (not an expert). They mainly occur at very high altitudes when humidity is over 60%, temps are subzero and the condensation is triggered when the water produced from combustion both freezes and comes in contact with other particulates that resulted from the combustion . I never liked the term chem trail but it is..... in a way accurate?

In addition, Hydrocarbon jet fuels main products from combustion are water and co2. I was shocked to read that one gallon of this fuel burned can create 8.5 kg or over 16 pounds of co2!! I then read that an air bus may use somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 gallons in a flight from NY to LA. A 747 can burn a gallon per second.

4000X8.5=34,000kg of co2 for one flight. Its no wonder things just keep getting stranger and stranger with the weather.

I don't believe everything I read so now I'm looking at some crazy equations to see if this is really the case.

Now look what you've done to me. I come seeking a chile sanctuary and I'm doing math Sheeeeesh!! Ha ha.

........while looking up the chemical composition of jet fuel for my calculations, I found this. He did the math for me!! Yes! He explains it all way better.

https://protonsforbreakfast.wordpress.com/tag/kerosene/

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 3:45

• randy355
    9 years ago

It's closer to 1.3 gallons a second but at almost 900,000lbs if it falls WOW! my peppers are toast at the bottom of a big hole

• Enocelot
    9 years ago

Nothing has fundamentally changed, with regards to prospective contrails to be expected to be produced by airliner engines, nor in the altitude at which they fly, in the last 40 years.

I am 47.

I grew up in Central Florida - and we could always tell when there was a launch from Kennedy Space Center because the launches left long lasting "contrails" in the sky.

Today it would be difficult to recognize a launch, based on that standard..... something has changed.

It is REALLY bad here, in Switzerland.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Now, the solid boosters from orbital launches could produce aluminum oxide (IIRC). But they are rarer than hens' teeth.

Enocelot, I recently saw a map of jet routes over Europe. Seems like every village has a jetport and flights to every other village! Over here we tend to think of Europe as a mecca of ground-based mass transit. But apparently your air traffic density is even higher than ours.

Dennis

Sponsored