Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoneys_fatali

Hot sauce making for dummies.

stoneys_fatali
9 years ago

Can anyone suggest a recipe and instructions to make a simple hot sauce?

My fatali plant is loaded and I was thinking about making some to hand out as gifts to family.

Thanks in advance :-)

Stoney

Comments (20)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Have not made a hot sauce out of this yet, but here is one for you. It looks good but maybe modify for taste.

http://thehotsauceaddiction.com/fatalii-hot-sauce/

Here is a link that might be useful: Fatalii sauce

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

I strongly suggest making a mash. So easy, even a woohooman can do it. :)

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermenting Peppers 101

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I like this Roasted Pineapple Sauce (link below). Changes I made were...

Roast/grill all veggies.
    No need for the cornstarch slurry.
    Can use less sugar.
    I discovered I really didn't care for the mango flavor, so will delete it too next time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Pineapple Sauce

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

Stoney,

I just made a hot sauce but with Orange Habs. You could follow the same recipe but just substitute the habs for your fatallis. Here is what I used to make a pint of sauce:

2 cups of orange habs -halved
    1 medium onion
    2 carrots
    6 large cloves of garlic
    1 cup of meyer lemon juice
    1 cup of orange juice

roast all the veggies and let cool. Then blend it all with the lemon and orange juice.

When it was done it was pretty hot, but tasty. Half of it is gone now. My only question to those out there is how long could I store this in the fridge?

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Punk,
    That's real similar to what I make with Numex Suaves and Bhuts, and it lasts at least a month 'cause that's how long it takes me to eat up a batch.
    I like to add a teaspoon of turmeric to improve the color too.
    Made some like that with two cups of Bhuts, and it was smokin'....

• seysonn
    9 years ago

The basic ingredients of a hot sauce :

== hot/super hot peppers
    == filler: can be carrots, tomato paste, sweet pepper, peach, pineapple, juice, orange juice. These are optional and depend on your preference in taste. I personally use red/orange sweet peppers and sometimes pineapple juice (from fresh pineapple) with it.

== spices: Garlic, onion, turmeric ..sugar.. I use NONE. To me pepper itself is the mother of all spices.

=== Acidifier: This is the technical food safety part. If you are going to bottle it (BWB method), need to acidify it to under pH of 4.2. Most common acidifiers are household vinegar (5% acetic acid) , bottled lemon/lime juice, citric acid. I use vinegar.

Both vinegar and bottled lemon juice have a pH of about 2.4 ( I am fine with vinegar). If your final product consists of 50% vinegar(or lemon juice) that is more than enough to keep pH under 3.0, where max recommendation is 4.2.

Once you have cooked your sauce and acidified it, proceed with BWB method of preserving/canning/bottling.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Can always go with the basic:
    Run about 6 cups chopped chilies
    3 cups vinegar
    2tbs salt

Boil all for 15min

Blend until smooth

Re boil for 15, and bottle.

Let sit for at least a week and enjoy

Jay

• brian6464
    9 years ago

This is very timely. I have a plethora of peps ready to process into sauce this week. I'll give a couple of these a shot.

One question: Is there an appropriate way to process actual sauce bottles in a hot water bath?

When doing 1/2 pint or pint jars, I can drop them in using the rack that keeps them spaced appropriately. When doing 5oz or even 10oz woozy bottles, I am trying to envision how I would do this without the bottles moving around too much.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would say that hot sauce making is not for dummies.

Here is a thread from the cooking forum in which I posted my method for making habanero sauce. I think you have to be very careful when making a sauce with very hot chilies. I do make a simple hot sauce with jalapenos, but I would not use the same method for a very hot chili.

Lars

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

in terms of BWB for hot sauce in bottles, what I do is invert the bottles after filling them to fully sterilize what a soak in vinegar wouldn't kill. then I put them on the rack around the outside, leaning against the edge of the pot. in my standard ball enamel canning pot, I can comfortably fit 24 empty bottles to boil pre bottling, or I can comfortably process 12 at a time. so I boil them all at once, pre cooking and post process in 2 batches.

I make sure the water DOESN'T cover the caps when it's not boiling, because at a rolling boil plenty of hot water will come in contact with the caps anyway, and if you have water over the top of the caps before it's at a rolling boil, it's almost guaranteed that a few of them will come open in the pot, which to me means they need to be thrown away.

boil for at least 10 min (I usually do 15), take them out, make sure the cap is still tight, but don't overtighten or you'll break thru the seal in the cap. you'll find the right tightness thru trial and error.

it's worth mentioning that I use either vinegar, lime juice, or a combination of the 2 to make sure my pH is always at or below 3.0, to me that's non negotiable. my sauce must be safe.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:37

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "you have to be very careful when making a sauce with very hot chilies."

You mean like child-proof caps and plenty of dire warnings?

SmartFella

.. or maybe defibrillators?

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

The sauce I made just a couple days ago is going real fast. I was worried I would not have enough things to use it on. I used some to make a spicy salad dressing and then I used some on top of some fish. I may go buy a dozen tamales now. Best sauce I have tasted before. Homemade sauce is the way to go.

• Lars
    9 years ago

>You mean like child-proof caps and plenty of dire warnings?No, but I do wear a swim mask and snorkel, to avoid inhaling the fumes. I do the same when chopping a lot of onions, and so I store my snorkel in the kitchen - I have to store it somewhere, and I chop onions and chilies more often than I go diving these days. It used to be the other way around.

I only wear one glove - on my left hand, as my right hand is holding the knife and is not in danger.

Lars

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I don't even bother with the gloves, and I make sauces from superhots. I just accept that my hands are contaminated. I've had it soak thru so many gloves that I've just accepted that gloves are fallible, whereas just not touching your face for the rest of the day is a foolproof option.

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! Lots of ideas.

Stoney

• seysonn
    9 years ago

How about something else in place of gloves.
    Saturate your hands with oil. It should create an invisible barrier against capsaicin.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

That works for me

...for a few peppers. But handling lots of peppers your left hand is going to get pretty warm anyway. Guess I've burned off most of the nerve endings so it doesn't bother me much.

Dennis

And I wipe with my right anyway.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

for me the foolproof method of getting rid of the burn (by that I mean preventing the burn on other parts of my body from accidental contact) is to hit my hands with alcohol based hand sanitizer twice, then dish soap. works every time. also, the faster you do it, the better it works. don't let it soak in.

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

brian6464, turn a long length of foil into a rope shape (wad it up lengthwise, not into a ball,) and wrap it around the base of the bottles and then put them in the rack. It will keep the bottles upright and properly spaced in the canner.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

TheHotPepper has as specific "sauce"
    Forum that offers alot of options