Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bishop's Crown, Wassup ?

Posted by seysonn 7b WA/HZ 1 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 22:47

Anybody growing Bishop's Crown?
Mine is the last pepper to start flowering.
Is there any hope for it ?
Should I just get rid of it ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bishop's Crown, Wassup ?

Get rid of it? Why? It's healthy and has lovely flowers. Just wait it out. It will surprise you.

Dennis

o

I have a few and they have been really slow to set pods. I guess one good thing is that the plants are huge and when they do start producing I should get loads of them.

I agree with keeping it and seeing what it does.

o

if it's the same pepper as the starfish (which I think it is) those peppers taste phenomenal. it's easily my favorite mild pepper so far. I'd say the potential for getting some of those tasty peppers makes it worth taking the risk of wasting your time.

you never know, it could be a warm, late winter.

o

I say grow it out.

I have a few growing that are just beginning to pod out. They are slow podding but you may be fine since they are now flowering.

o

GEEZ, Ronny. In zone 9 yours are just setting pods ?

I'll let'm be and see what hapens. In case we get a warm Sept and Oct, I might see some ripe pods.

Judo, BC is not the same as Starfish. BC looks like a bell. Its another name is xmas bell.

o

I overwintered my Bishops crown plant from last year and it just started setting lots of pods within the past few weeks. Most of the summer it had maybe 4 pods on it and within the last few weeks it has added about 20 or so. Hopefully the ripen before first frost.
Good luck

Tim

o

Seysonn,

Not sure about your area, but it's been an odd gardening year here in the northeast. (60f evenings etc, slowing the plants down)

The starfish should not have taken so long to develop .... normally.

You may get a few immature picklers for this year, but cut it down to the first 3 or 4 forks and overwinter it for next year. Give it lots of composted manure next year and you'll be far ahead of the game.

Just my 2c.

Steve

o

Finally, my BCs are setting pods. It has buds all the way to the tip of branches. So, I will just let it be and see what happens.

o

bishops crown is a great one to overwinter. I grew one into an 8' tree form and then I sold it the next spring.

o

seysonn,

I made a mistake.They are not Bishop Crown. They are Chapeu du Frade, similar but not quite the same. I did not start the BC this year (even though I thought I did.) They are also just starting to set pods. .One is pretty big now but not yet ripe while the others are small and just starting out.

BTW, I am growing Starfish and that one has some orange pods about to go red.

o

flower

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 19:32

o

Cool looking pod!

Let us know when you bite one.

Dennis

o

Ronny, It is the same thing,: "Chapeu Frade" means "Friar's Hat".= Bishop's Crown

Mine now has pods the size of the tip of my finger. I've snipped all the new buds and flowers. Let her take care of the babies she already has.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 11:51

o

I guess this is one of those plants that have many names, but yea, they are probally the same. I just didnt want to call it that since that is what it says on the seed package. I cant wait to try. Nice to see you will have some too.

CHAPEU DE FRADE (PI 497974)
Species: Baccatum Origin: Brazil Heat: Mild

This variety has many names: Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Aji Flor, Orchid and Bishops Hat to name a few!! This very unusual pod shaped variety is believed to have been transfered from South America to Europe by the Portuguese in the 18th century and is actually part of the species Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum. The plants are quite large growing 3 to 4 ft tall and produce 30 to 50 extremely weird 3 or 4 flat winged, wrinkled almost flying saucer like 1 ½' wide pods. The flesh of each pod is thin athough crisp to taste and they mature from green to red approximately 90-100 days after seedlings have emerged. The body of the pods have some detectable heat, but the wings are sweet and mild.

Here is a link that might be useful: chapeu-du-frade-bishops-crown

o

UPDATE:

My Bishop's Crown started flowing just about a month ago.
Today I and happy to show pods. They are different sizes because the pods were set at different intervals.

How long will it take the larger ones to get red.

o

The farmer that lets me use ground it turns out is overrun with Bishops Crowns . He has not any as they are at the end of a 20ft row of his Long Hots that sell real good at the stand. He said I can have them and Im not sure what to do with them other ten powder. Lots of ripe ones and lots more still green.
How do Bishops Crown fans on this site Preserve there harvest?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here