Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Bishop's Crown, Wassup ?

seysonn
9 years ago

Anybody growing Bishop's Crown?
Mine is the last pepper to start flowering.
Is there any hope for it ?
Should I just get rid of it ?

Comments (27)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Get rid of it? Why? It's healthy and has lovely flowers. Just wait it out. It will surprise you.

Dennis

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I have a few and they have been really slow to set pods. I guess one good thing is that the plants are huge and when they do start producing I should get loads of them.

I agree with keeping it and seeing what it does.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

if it's the same pepper as the starfish (which I think it is) those peppers taste phenomenal. it's easily my favorite mild pepper so far. I'd say the potential for getting some of those tasty peppers makes it worth taking the risk of wasting your time.

you never know, it could be a warm, late winter.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I say grow it out.

I have a few growing that are just beginning to pod out. They are slow podding but you may be fine since they are now flowering.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GEEZ, Ronny. In zone 9 yours are just setting pods ?

I'll let'm be and see what hapens. In case we get a warm Sept and Oct, I might see some ripe pods.

Judo, BC is not the same as Starfish. BC looks like a bell. Its another name is xmas bell.

• t-bones
    9 years ago

I overwintered my Bishops crown plant from last year and it just started setting lots of pods within the past few weeks. Most of the summer it had maybe 4 pods on it and within the last few weeks it has added about 20 or so. Hopefully the ripen before first frost.
    Good luck

Tim

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Seysonn,

Not sure about your area, but it's been an odd gardening year here in the northeast. (60f evenings etc, slowing the plants down)

The starfish should not have taken so long to develop .... normally.

You may get a few immature picklers for this year, but cut it down to the first 3 or 4 forks and overwinter it for next year. Give it lots of composted manure next year and you'll be far ahead of the game.

Just my 2c.

Steve

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally, my BCs are setting pods. It has buds all the way to the tip of branches. So, I will just let it be and see what happens.

• sandy0225
    9 years ago

bishops crown is a great one to overwinter. I grew one into an 8' tree form and then I sold it the next spring.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

seysonn,

I made a mistake.They are not Bishop Crown. They are Chapeu du Frade, similar but not quite the same. I did not start the BC this year (even though I thought I did.) They are also just starting to set pods. .One is pretty big now but not yet ripe while the others are small and just starting out.

BTW, I am growing Starfish and that one has some orange pods about to go red.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

flower

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 19:32

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Cool looking pod!

Let us know when you bite one.

Dennis

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ronny, It is the same thing,: "Chapeu Frade" means "Friar's Hat".= Bishop's Crown

Mine now has pods the size of the tip of my finger. I've snipped all the new buds and flowers. Let her take care of the babies she already has.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 11:51

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I guess this is one of those plants that have many names, but yea, they are probally the same. I just didnt want to call it that since that is what it says on the seed package. I cant wait to try. Nice to see you will have some too.

CHAPEU DE FRADE (PI 497974)
    Species: Baccatum Origin: Brazil Heat: Mild

This variety has many names: Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Aji Flor, Orchid and Bishops Hat to name a few!! This very unusual pod shaped variety is believed to have been transfered from South America to Europe by the Portuguese in the 18th century and is actually part of the species Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum. The plants are quite large growing 3 to 4 ft tall and produce 30 to 50 extremely weird 3 or 4 flat winged, wrinkled almost flying saucer like 1 ý' wide pods. The flesh of each pod is thin athough crisp to taste and they mature from green to red approximately 90-100 days after seedlings have emerged. The body of the pods have some detectable heat, but the wings are sweet and mild.

Here is a link that might be useful: chapeu-du-frade-bishops-crown

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

My Bishop's Crown started flowing just about a month ago.
    Today I and happy to show pods. They are different sizes because the pods were set at different intervals.

How long will it take the larger ones to get red.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

The farmer that lets me use ground it turns out is overrun with Bishops Crowns . He has not any as they are at the end of a 20ft row of his Long Hots that sell real good at the stand. He said I can have them and Im not sure what to do with them other ten powder. Lots of ripe ones and lots more still green.
    How do Bishops Crown fans on this site Preserve there harvest?

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

Started this thread on Aug. 21, 14.
    My plant was the just flowering and I have no idea to look forward to. Today ply plant has quite a few pods which are green. But I notice that the green is getting pale. Maybe and indication or hint to change color to red. If they don,t when it gets real cold and nasty, I will have to use them green.

O, BTW, the red one on the lower right side are HHW.

Here is a picture that I took 3 days ago.
    Do you think that they have a chance to ripen ?

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Fresh picked. Not as thin skinned as I expected.
    Almost has a apple taste if you core them.Nice pepper I dryed them all for powder.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow ! That is some haul, Dave. Are they Bishops Crown ?

From what I have heard, BC are almost sweet. So then with apple flavor, they should make a nice paprika like powder.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Mine looks nothing like those ripe ones. Those look like my Scotch red mushroom (squash) chili's. No wings on those to be BC.

seysonn,
    mine are also changing color. They go to a darker green then to an orange and then red. Maybe a few more days for this one.

Ron

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ronny, Yours are there.
    Like you said, I didn,t think those in Pepperdave's photo are BC.
    The BC are narrow at the stem end and then get wider like a bell. That is why they are also called xmas bells.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Underneath is still green and it is still a little bit orange. It does not show in this picture. I need it totally ripe to harvest seeds.

Yea, those are scotch red mushroom in my opinion. A nice spicy pepper with good flavor. They make good powder and are not too spicy when used in cooking dishes. Lots of seeds too.

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

I've grown this variety, under various names, over the past few years. Yes they are really slow ripening. They're usually the last pods to ripen every season I've grown them.

Besides Bishop's Crown and Christmas Bell, they're also known as: Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Nepalese bell, Aji Flor, Orchid and Bishops Hat etc.
    . Here are a few pod shots of ones I've grown.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Is that cream cheese stuffed in those in the third picture? Those look good.

Now that is making me hungry. :)

• obchili
    9 years ago

Ok there ottawapepper. Will you share your secret of how to grow peppers pre-stuffed like yours. It would sure save a lot of time. Thanks.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

OK I stand corrected. I thought these were BCs my neighbor grew I just dried them . I will be making powder out of them though. Ill try for the real BCs next year.
    Still a good pepper and I now have a clue to the genetics
    Thanks

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Ooops, they don't quite fit the jalapeno popper tray do they? I bet they taste better though. :-)

Great photography ottawa.

Sponsored