Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Growing Bird Pepper?

Posted by tropicalfreak z10b Ft Lauderdale (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 22:57

Was given one and would like to know the growing conditions. Can I keep it pruned to control it and still get peppers?

Tropicalfreak

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Growing Bird Pepper?

I just started researching about the Pequin pepper (Capsicum annuum) and from what i have learned so far... it sounds like the plant like partialy shady the best. In the wild it usually flourishes along creek beds under trees. usually because the birds that feed on the peppers roost in trees and deposit the seeds under those trees. so the plant has eveolved to those conditions.

I have seen the bushes used (and trimmed) as a hedge around a house before and it still provided plenty of peppers... but I'm sure the havest would have been larger if the plant was untoiuched.

o
possible useful link

lots of good info on chilipequin.com. including a nice thread on the various names how they are used/misused.

Here is a link that might be useful: chilipequin.com

o

im growing both chilepequin and chiletepin they both are doing fine in full sun, and have had tons of ripe pods from both!
paul

o

Strange. I'm getting a 403 error trying to access the link above.

Josh

o

Bird pepper can be either a piquin or a tepin.

Lousy chile taxonomy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here