Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfinnil

seed source

gfinnil
10 years ago

After an awful year I am looking to improve and learn by reading everything I can find on here about growing from seed. I was wondering where you guys would recommend I look for seed? I don't have much close by so I will probably order online...I just want to find a good seed source. All I can find locally is habanero and jalapeno...both of which I grew this year (jalapenos had NO heat, habaneros never flowered). I have them in pots and in the ground, decent, fast draining soil (tomatoes doing great in same area...not much rainfall however). Thanks for ANY suggestions...I'm just excited to get into growing more peppers.
Jerry

Comments (16)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

it's barely august. when you say the habs never flowered, do you mean you already gave up? my habs had a bad stretch for a bit, but they're loaded with pods now.

many on here (myself included) will give away seeds. it's all a question of what kind you're looking for.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

If your serious and dedicated.... Ask around here. Best seed source in my opinion by far. Most will give away for a self addressed envelope.

Bill

• gfinnil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys, the habs are very stunted (2 plants, one flower on one, nothing on the other), the jalapeno has about 15 peppers on it but the one that I picked (just started to turn red) tasted like a bell pepper...zero heat. I do have 2 Thai Dragons with a few peppers but they are SLOW growing, the peppers haven't grown or changed in color in 4 weeks.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

What kind of peppers do you like? By this I mean heat wise...? Because people are gonna offer seeds that may melt your palet lol

• gfinnil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks...

This post was edited by gfinnil on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 3:08

• gfinnil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PepperGuy I am new to hot peppers, but like medium hot to hot...although I'd love to try something really hot (morbid curiosity)...I do love hot sauces and love to cook with peppers. I'm working on building up my tolerance...lol. I will gladly SASE to expand my new hobby

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

This forum need a like button lol. I've been hunting around myself on a reliable seed source myself (got a joepepper mag since they're local but read to many bad reviews on here) if I can save seeds,(this year will be my first shot at it) I'll be more than happy to share/trade. Right now I've got bell,sweet banana, hot banana , Cayenne, hot Cayenne, jalapeño, habanero, red bhut and something that was suppose to be bhut but the plants look different.

• MadCat1118
    10 years ago

When you say the jalapeno had no heat, did you try the whole pepper or just the tip? Usually the tip has little to no heat, but the rest of the pod is plenty hot.

• gfinnil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MadCat, sorry I tried the whole thing, I love jalapenos that's why I tried them. I also tried cayennes (about 6 peppers, hot but poor production)...

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I have plenty of seeds. Send me an e-mail with your addy and I'll send you a sampler.

Tim

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

Tim, can I get in on that action?

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Yes sir you can. Shoot me an e-mail with your address.

Tim

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Yes sir you can. Shoot me an e-mail with your address.

Tim

• gfinnil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tim, thank you so much...way more than I expected.
    Jerry

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

Tim, I sent you an email a few days ago.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

Tim, you're my hero. your sampler pack was more than generous. I am truly in your debt. seriously, thank you.