Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salevene

Sending Fresh Peppers by Mail

salevene
9 years ago

Hey all - I was curious if anyone has tried this? Good or bad experiences? If good, any recommended way to pack the peppers? This would be a small package, like 10 habaneros... Have someone that really wants to try them! Lol

Comments (10)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I had a member here send me some pods from Florida and Im in California.
    He packed them in a Priority Mail flat rate box.
    Arrived fresh and undamaged.

Stoney

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I've done it. I used a Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box that gets there at least as fast as First Class (a couple days). Box is free and holds lots of peppers. Cost about $6.

But you're in Colombia. Package delivery US to South America is generally considered a crapshoot if it needs to get there within a certain time. Things have a way of getting hung up in Customs for weeks. (Not CO especially, but further south for sure.)

If you want peppers from the US and have them still edible, then ship FedEx Guaranteed or USPS GXG - both incredibly expensive.

Send from CO to US I don't know about, but should be cheaper.

Sending locally, then your question is really about packaging. I basically didn't. Stuffed them in the box - some in bags to keep the varieties separate. Box didn't get squished (they handle Priority Mail very well here). I'd say that's what you should be concerned about - a box they can't or won't squish.

Let us know how your postal system does, and good luck.

Dennis

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I've sent fresh and dried to Canada and Montana, and other places too.
    Priority mail, bag'em, and put'em in a bubble wrap envelope.
    Coming from Colombia may get you more scrutiny though...

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I wouldn't use a bubble envelope for fresh, unless there is something unsquishable inside it.

Dennis

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I don't put the fresh In a bag, just the dried stuff. The bubble envelopes work great for small quantities of fresh. They arrive in great shape as the bubble wrap provides some insulation. Recipients let me know...

• salevene
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I'm actually shipping inside Colombia... I'll use plastic bags for the dried and paper bags/newspaper for the fresh (and then cover in bubble wrap to protect).

I harvested yesterday and I'll keep them in fridge until I ship tomorrow morning. Shipping time should only be 1-2 days and if I package the same way as a USPS box, the peppers shouldn't get squished.

I'll keep everyone posted.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

The reason you shouldn't wrap in plastic (or bubble wrap) is the same as for not leaving bananas or avocados in plastic bags. They will spoil faster, though not quite as fast as those two.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

mecdave,
    If'n you put yer avocados in the fridge, they last for a week, in or out of plastic...

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Tom, yeah but we don't have that luxury in the mail. ;-)