Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious Thai Pepper!

Posted by oriley SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 23:46

Hello all,

About a month ago I acquired a thai pepper plant in an admittedly unusual way. I was in my favorite Thai restaurant (Thai Stick, in Millbrae, California) and I was admiring the enormous pepper plant they have growing in the window. So I asked about it, and they told me that the owner had been depressed because she couldn't find hot enough peppers here in the U.S. so she planted a seed that she had dug out of the dried pepper flakes that they use in the kitchen, hoping it would grow. Grow it did; it is enormous and happily pumping out scads of tiny yellow peppers. I asked for one of the peppers so I could grow it in my garden. "No!" they told me. "Take the small plant in the other pot!" They looked at each other and conferred for a second in Thai. "You should dig it out, because plants like you," they said. So then they handed me a plastic spoon and a pair of kitchen gloves. I dug it out; they packaged it nicely in a plastic bag and it sat next to me all through lunch. I've planted it in a large pot in the backyard and it is doing nicely.

So this brings me to my question. It is a fiery, fiery hot little pepper, and yellow. It's the same as a Thai Hot pepper, as far as I can tell, except that the fruit is yellow. Occasionally one will turn red, but I have been watching their enormous plant as well as my smaller one and the vast majority of the peppers stay yellow. I assumed Thai Hot peppers all turned red. Am I wrong? Anyone have any experience with them? It is an absolutely wonderful little pepper, burning hot with a nice fruitiness to it. And as plants go, this one makes the best story.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious Thai Pepper!

Hmmph, sounds a bit familiar. One of my favorite Thai places in Springfield, Missouri is called 'Tong's', and he showed me a frozen bag of his EXTREMELY hot 'thai' chilis, and they were all varying shades of yellow, with a few orange/red ones floating around in the bag. I took some seed, and voila! It produced a Tabasco plant. It too is huge, and cranks out bundles of these little imps. It is easily the largest chili plant I have, and if I get a chance later today I will post a few pics of it. Keep in mind that tabascos are used while they are still yellow by some--like the 'Steak and Shake' resturaunt chain, who bottles them whole in vinegar, and also red by others like McIlhenny's (sp.?).

o

That is interesting, the Peppers here become a very bright red. It is uncommon to see the yellow ones here in Thailand. I will be at the growers market on the weekend I will take a photo of the 20 pound bags that they are sold by.

o

How large are those peppers. My wife is Thai and used to use some that were about 1/2" long and thin like a pencil lead. They really burned.

I like hot food but could not take those and was blistered once.

Can you post a picture of them?

o

This is a new small one for me this year. Called Thai kee Nu

o

• Posted by oriley SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 3, 05 at 12:17

Yep, the mystery peppers look just like JohnF's peppers, but they are yellow. And they pretty much refuse to turn red, except for a very, very few.

Perhaps I'll have to get a plant like dmullin was describing and specialize in weensy fiery hot peppers. I can think of worse hobbies!

o

I have tried to find those peppers in local nurseries etc. but have not been successfully. She got her seeds from friends in Thailand who mailed them to her.

I don't want to eat many of them but I like to grow peppers. Right now, my first Habanero plant is producing and we have picked on pepper. More on the plant and will probably pick them sometime this week.

o

Is Thai pepper and suryamukhi cluster peppers the same pepper. I am trying to locate eather plant.

o

Hi Oriley,

I e-mailed you several times regarding a trade for the thai yellow pepper seeds. I thought we were going to move forward, but I did not hear back. Can you e-mail me privately? Thanks!

Chris

o

Hey there. I have a pretty large thai pepper plant that i've grown from seed. It's in a south facing window in a 7-inch pot. It's about 18 inches and flowering, but the flowers die and I have yet to get any peppers. I water once every other day (just cut back from once a day). Is it too late in the season to get flowers, am I not watering enough, too much???

o

I would put it in a little larger--10" pot-- and only water when the soil is dry. I have overwintered Thais that produced all winter so that should not be a problem.

john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here