Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obchili

Jim Nardello With Heat?

obchili
9 years ago

Hi there. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had any JN plants with lots of heat, and I'm talking more than a jalape�o. The first while it was producing, they were mild and tasty, and now my gf does not like them anymore. They were originally for her to pickle, and now she wants no part of them. Is it possible for this to happen if they crossed with something of mine? I am a first year grower and this baffles me. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

If they did cross with something of yours.... everything I have read says that the cross/heat won't show until you plant the seeds that come from the cross.... if that makes any sense. I'm assuming that by saying "first year" they aren't seeds from plants you had last year.

I'm new to growing peppers too but know, through a friend that has done em for years and through a few of my own..... often the first peppers don't have as much heat as the ones that come later. I've never had a nardello so can't say really.

Got any pictures? Do they look the same as other JD's?

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 2:19

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

I'm a little unclear about what your saying/asking too. They weren't hot, now they are, and these are the only JN you have ever planted? Do you have multiple plants? Best bet is one of those is not a JN, but a stray seed from another type that got into the Jan packet. Heat in peppers cannot be transferred from one plant to another in a single growing season.

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@sunnibel7
    1. Correct, the first many picked had no heat associated to them, and now as we are picking them, it seems that they have a good bit of heat to them.
    2. Yes they are the only Jim Nardello ever planted.
    3. Multiple plants? 2 Jim Nardello, then a lot of others ranging from bells to Reapers.
    4. Yes, unsure as this is my first ever growing season of growing peppers.

@djoy
    First year is the same as you interpret, my first year growing peppers at all.
    Everything else you say is the same as I had read it as well, so I am glad that we are at least on the same page and looks like we are both learning. And yes, they look to me as to what a Jim Nardello should. As for pictures, you ask and you shall receive.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Nope. My JN were all sweet with no heat.

Stoney

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

Pictures help. Two out of the three pictures look like my JNs, but the first does not. When I asked about multiple plants I meant is there heat in the fruit of one JN plant but not the other JNs? Where did you get the seed for these from? If it isn't a stray seed then you got some seed that was not of pure JN parentage. Try frying those babies in a little olive oil and sprinkling them with sea salt. You'll forget all about pickling them.

• John A
    9 years ago

Mine have just a tiny bit of heat this year. More than Jalapeno doesn't seem right.
    John A

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@sunnibel7
    I will have to try a pod from each as I am not sure if both are putting out hot ones or not.
    I got the seed from a generous member here.
    Thanks, I may try one tomorrow.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

If it turns out both plants are making hot pods, maybe you could get in touch with that member by gardenweb email and ask if their seed was saved from a plant that might have crossed with something last year? It happens easily enough when you save your own seed, for example I've been saving my own cayenne seeds for a few years. Obviously I wasn't as careful last year and they crossed with my jalapenos. Now I have one plant that produces pods that look like cayenne but are real short like jalapeno and another plant that is producing pods that look like jalapeno(including the corking) but have thin walls and heat like cayenne. They make me giggle a little whenever I pick them.

Sponsored