Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan_anne_gw

Red Savina Habs... delicious sauce recipe!

megan_anne
14 years ago

The Red Savinas have been coming in like mad! I've had plenty for experimenting with in the kitchen, and came up with a sauce recipe that some of you might like to try. Feel free to experiment and make adjustments to your tastes. Since "to taste" is generally how I cook, all measurements are very approximate. The flavor is reminiscent of a Caribbean style sauce... sweet and slightly tangy with a strong heat that builds up bite by bite, but isn't crazy hot (unless you use a bit more pepper)

TROPICAL FRUIT SAUCE WITH RED HABANERO

2 mangoes

1 15-oz can pineapple chunks in JUICE, or equivalent fresh

juice of 4-6 limes

"good wad" of cilantro leaves, about 3/4 cup

4 to 6 Red Savina habaneros or Scotch bonnets (though I guess any kind of habanero might work... never tried), or more if you like it REAL hot, like I do :)

Generous dashes of fresh-ground allspice

Peel and seed the mango, cut into pieces, and throw into the food processor. Add the pineapple with its juice, and the lime juice. Strip cilantro leaves from the stems and add to the mix. Cut up the habs and remove the veins and seeds (if desired). I do, mainly to avoid hard, funny-textured bits in the sauce, and add more peppers if I want extra heat. Finally, add the fresh-ground allspice to taste. Process until the mix is a smooth puree with pulp, adding more fruit juice (pineapple or lime, again to taste) to create a sort-of smooth sauce that's thick enough to form a nice glaze.

Heat slowly in a covered saucepan until the mix just begins to bubble but not boil.

Remove from heat and can using your standard canning technique or refrigerate in a tightly-covered container (but use within a few days).

Excellent with grilled chicken, pork or fish-- also makes a really good stir fry sauce. Delicious with lime-cilantro rice!

Enjoy!

-Megan

Sponsored