Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with these?

Posted by brian6464 4a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 23:49

These are Francisca peppers. They started developing black areas that eventually turn soft/rotten, almost like bottom rot on a tomato. Anyone ever seen something like this on a pepper? I have 20+ other plants, none of which exhibit the same problem. Also, this same plant has 10 more peps in green stage and not showing any signs of this...yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with these?

What have the prevailing temperatures been?

o

Another Question: Are you growing them in containers ?

o

jean001a: Prevailing temps over last few weeks have been highs in low 80's and lows in upper 60's.

seysonn: Yes, most are in 5 gallon buckets. This particular plant looks very healthy other than the fruit problem.

In the pic, the stages of rot are basically shown left to right. Starts out as small black streak but retains firmness. Slowly grows to length of fruit and rots through the wall of the fruit.

o

Yes, I got this on a couple of early whatever-it-is that I have (hab?). I have no idea what caused it and it doesn't affect the rest of the pods.

This seems to develop inside the pod. The black streak appears when the rot gets to the junction between the sidewall and the crosswall. Recall that before the pod forms the end is open to admit pollen. Perhaps it admitted something else, like a fungus spore.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:55

o

These were the first three ripe pods...so TBD on the later ripening pods.

Dennis - It sounds like you have since harvested ripe pods without this same problem?

o

Yep. Lots and lots of them.

BTW, your three likely came in first because of the problem. My first ripe pod had it (barely noticeable at first) and ripened although undersized. The second was coloring when it dropped. The plant knows the pod is sick and hurries it along or jettisons.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 17:25

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here